Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

Cheers Mike, tending to agree with you. Have several options from guys here and in the trade locally so I’ll go with paint I think.

Popped down to see John and the fellas at Bikewise to get it MoT’d, all good.

IMG_5986.jpg

And a short ride around Abingdon to get home. This thing is awesome!

Just a slight weep from RH side pushrod tube oil seals. I recall a sharp tap is what’s required to re-seat them?

Its been a great thread to read Nin, now it’s MOT’d the world is your oyster :thumby:

Thanks Steve - I hope folk have enjoyed it. Yes it’s ride and fettle now!

I’ll keep the thread open so I can update with progress on the “enduro” variant, but that’s me pretty much done now.

Eyening an oil head GSA conversion now mind …

IMG_0038.jpg

Popped down to see John and the fellas at Bikewise to get it MoT’d, all good.

View attachment 560329

And a short ride around Abingdon to get home. This thing is awesome!

Just a slight weep from RH side pushrod tube oil seals. I recall a sharp tap is what’s required to re-seat them?

Nice one Nin. Come on then, we need a full first ride report, all the details!

Thanks Steve - I hope folk have enjoyed it. Yes it’s ride and fettle now!

I’ll keep the thread open so I can update with progress on the “enduro” variant, but that’s me pretty much done now.

View attachment 560344

Looks like an interesting challenge, you could get the engine, gearbox and FD easily enough but the refurbishment could be more expensive. But it would be another level performance wise.

You know you'd only be doing it just because you can. A guy called John Wilkinson has done this with his HP850 and I think a HP1100 but don't quote me on that. He got them below 200kilos I think with a new headstock subframe and I think it was WR450 forks.
21/18 wheels and enduro style headlight and clocks etc.

It's an idea I'd kicked around myself but when you weigh up how much weight they lopped off with the hexhead it seems you would be starting with a heavy engine and transmission.

If you do go for it I have a plastic 1100 tank that bubbled up the paint so it needs stripping and lining. That was intended for a an 1150 "offroader".

Yeah I think best option would be an early 1200 GS as the lightest/most powerful.

Apart from Nico Bakker is anyone else out there making the front frame conversion from Telelever to conventional?

Michal Wdowski on the R1150gs owners Facebook page posted quite a few pictures of his build #R1150enduro is the tag. Quite a stunning machine. As you say Nin an early hexhead would be a good start or a high milage twin cam would be my choice.

Just back from a few miles on the bike, with a bit of carb balancing in between. OMG this thing is awesome! Pulls from 20 to 80 in 5th. Balanced and comfortable across the whole speed range, and feels really planted. It does bring out the hooligan …

Just over 5k revs at 80 mph, oil pressure is excellent and takes 35 seconds to bleed to zero after stopping the engine.

Slight oil weep from one pushrod tube solved by a gentle tap into the block.

Front and rear brakes work really well and are nicely balanced. Rear brake pedal needs a slightly bigger area.

Drive mode dashboard works brilliantly and give maps, roadbook, speed etc including Bluetooth calls, music etc. you can even watch Netflix on it …

I’ll be in touch with local TRF to go and try some local gravel next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Finally, you've got out and had a decent ride.

Well done. You must be really chuffed with it. For old tech, they're surprisingly good fun to ride.

Always good to see John Wilkinson at our East Midlands breakfast meets.

Here’s two of his build’s from his Facebook page. :thumby:

Attachments

• C1C63466-4D4A-4F37-B31A-68C9294FAD13.jpeg
    C1C63466-4D4A-4F37-B31A-68C9294FAD13.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 1CE8B53D-1330-431D-9FBF-E53B470D3BD9.jpeg
    1CE8B53D-1330-431D-9FBF-E53B470D3BD9.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 319
Apart from Nico Bakker is anyone else out there making the front frame conversion from Telelever to conventional?

Can it be done with R9T front frame? Roland Sands has done it with his 1200GS Dakar Homage.

Back
Top Bottom