Winter Gloves.

I take my hat off to those with the constitution to get away with ordinary winter gloves or the muff, grips, summer glove combo.

My problems stem from the fact that I really do need electrically heated socks to survive for 90 minutes in sub-zero temperatures. I had the electric gloves first then added an electric jacket.

Electrically heated socks are worthy of a thread on their own. It will promote earnest debate on:

A. Whether electric socks better than electric insoles or visa-versa.

B. Whether to go up a boot size.

C. If woollen conventional socks aren’t indeed better and / or cheaper.

D. Whether the temperature of the socks should or shouldn’t be regulated separately to say, the jacket or gloves and, if so, how?

Heated Socks

My comments in Italics

Electrically heated socks are worthy of a thread on their own. It will promote earnest debate on:

A. Whether electric socks better than electric insoles or visa-versa. The argument is the same as heated grips versus gloves - the insole warms up the less important part of your foot, whereas the sock gives all-round warmth.

B. Whether to go up a boot size. Not necessary with heated socks. For a while Gerbing did not make heated socks while they changed the (somewhat unreliable) design, so insoles it had to be - and they took up too much room in the boot. Later swapped them back for socks with the obliging Gerbing agent.

C. If woollen conventional socks aren’t indeed better and / or cheaper. Heated socks aren't an inexpensive option- so they are a last-ditch option for some

D. Whether the temperature of the socks should or shouldn’t be regulated separately to say, the jacket or gloves and, if so, how? The answer to this question will vary according the the individual, the other clothing worn on the rest of the body, and how much weather protection the motorcycle offers.

There are few substitutes, if any, to the joy that comes from electrically heated motorcycling clothing. Add in that much of it is nowadays variable (ie you can adjust the temperature) often powered by its own battery, rendering it independent of the bike’s (or bikes’) electrics and you just about have it all in one go. Just make sure the gloves fit you. If they don’t, exchange them for some that do or order two sets (of different sizes, obviously) keeping the one pair, returning the other.

In your own words "Advice like this best given if you can narrow it down to the specific glove in question, where, when and how you bought them and, not least, how much you paid."

There are few substitutes, if any, to the joy that comes from electrically heated motorcycling clothing. Add in that much of it is nowadays variable (ie you can adjust the temperature) often powered by its own battery, rendering it independent of the bike’s (or bikes’) electrics and you just about have it all in one go. Just make sure the gloves fit you. If they don’t, exchange them for some that do or order two sets (of different sizes, obviously) keeping the one pair, returning the other.

I think you’re right. I’m probably going with the Gerbing XRL. I could then wire up the Guzzi V7 and pop in batteries for the odd trip on the older bikes. I wouldn’t have thought it would be expensive to maybe just wire them all though. In which case maybe the XR’s would be the ones to get as I prefer the sleeve over the glove. Getting there now. :thumb

I think you’re right. I’m probably going with the Gerbing XRL. I could then wire up the Guzzi V7 and pop in batteries for the odd trip on the older bikes. I wouldn’t have thought it would be expensive to maybe just wire them all though. In which case maybe the XR’s would be the ones to get as I prefer the sleeve over the glove. Getting there now. :thumb

I have the XRs, as I run them from the din socket, its a bit of a faff getting them wired up, because the controllers are on the gloves, so once you have done your jacket cuffs up, you can't see the controllers, so running from the din socket, the bike has to be on for the power. This obviously wouldn't be an issue if I ran them direct from the battery. My last pair I had ones that also took batteries, but the batteries were expensive and I never bothered to buy them and just ran them again from the bike directly

I have the XRs, as I run them from the din socket, its a bit of a faff getting them wired up, because the controllers are on the gloves, so once you have done your jacket cuffs up, you can't see the controllers, so running from the din socket, the bike has to be on for the power. This obviously wouldn't be an issue if I ran them direct from the battery. My last pair I had ones that also took batteries, but the batteries were expensive and I never bothered to buy them and just ran them again from the bike directly

Useful to know. Thanks.

Advice like this best given if you can narrow it down to the specific glove in question, where, when and how you bought them and, not least, how much you paid.

Rukka Apollo failed after 13 months , neither warm nor waterproof enough for winter use, Rukka Mars were warmer but again after 13 to 14 months started to leak.

Halvarssons I had were the original version of the Halvarssons Beast (different name ) and were good down to freezing so replaced with a new set of Beasts though they do a heavier warmer glove as well

Rukka Apollo failed after 13 months , neither warm nor waterproof enough for winter use, Rukka Mars were warmer but again after 13 to 14 months started to leak.

Halvarssons I had were the original version of the Halvarssons Beast (different name ) and were good down to freezing so replaced with a new set of Beasts though they do a heavier warmer glove as well

Did you get them replaced? 2 year warranty I understand. My Apollos have been 100% waterproof so far and they have been out in some spectacular rain.

In your own words "Advice like this best given if you can narrow it down to the specific glove in question, where, when and how you bought them and, not least, how much you paid."

I use electric liners, that came originally from Rapid Fire in America, via Powerlet. Powerlet are now defunct, extinct, gone, no more. So my personal contribution would have been as useless as tits on a bull. Don’t let that hold you back though.

Gerbing XRL it is then. Ordered and here soon hopefully.

Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to offer help and advice. :beerjug:

As we are now in the world of heated clothing, my own consists of:

Heated jacket liner, Rapid Fire

Heated gloves liners, Rapid Fire. I have size 10 hands, in Rukka Apollo gloves. I had to go up to the largest size in a special order, via Infinity in Great Portland Street, London W1. I also wear the liners under Rukka’s ‘lobster claw’ gloves, too. The later depends on how I feel on the day. Again, I had to go up several sizes, trying them on in the shop until I was happy. I then bought them in the shop, rather than ripping the store off by using them as nothing more than a ‘Try ‘em on’ boutique.

Heated trouser liner, Rapid Fire

Heated Socks, Rapid Fire

Four separate items, controlled through two separate twin remote ‘heat trollers’, so I can adjust the jacket separately from the gloves, separately from the trousers, separately from the socks. I get so warm, I can turn the heated seat and grips off. Any twat can be cold.

Pretty comprehensive kit Wapping. As you say, any twat can be cold.
I was that twat, many moons ago, fishing the Junction Pool at Kelso as a guest in boat on a freezing January day. Checked country shirt, Barbour Jacket and jeans FFS! I went to the doctor’s about three days later with bad pain in both sides. He reckoned I’d strained my muscles shivering. It was cold, I’ll never forget it.
Used to blatt up and down from London to Scotland and back, wife on the back of the Thunderbolt/Watsonian outfit in the early 70’s. Leaky old Belstaff kit. Didn’t think much of it then!

If it helps

Just got a motolegends mail shot this morning with Rukka Viriums at £119.99

https://www.motolegends.com/gloves/..._12_2020)&mc_cid=c85a7ed65a&mc_eid=713a25611b

There’s 15% off all gloves today only at Urban Rider and I have had a pair of these Revit Hydras as winter gloves for the last couple of years and I’m really happy with them, very good fit and waterproof with the heated grips on

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/revit-hydra-2-h2o-gloves-black.html

Thanks but ordered Gerbing. :thumb

Gloves update.

The Gerbing XRL gloves I ordered had to go back.
I wanted them rather than the XR ones as they take the optional battery packs which I thought would be a useful if expensive option for shorter journeys of maybe a couple of hours each way. What I didn’t like about them, which I knew beforehand, was that they have to go over the sleeves, because of the extra bulk of the longer cuff and for the batteries.
The battery pack was on back order so only the gloves arrived. I have biggish hands and wrists and there was no way they would fit over the sleeves of my Rukka Armas jacket. That was without the batteries.
I got the XR ones instead. These are the same length as my Apollo gloves and fit under the cuff. Much, much better. I now have to be plugged in to get the heated benefit of course.
The gloves themselves are beautifully made, very soft and flexible.
If you’re a first time buyer of Gerbing they’ll give you 10% discount too. I found this out when I was quoted about 2 weeks delivery from the original supplier of the XRL gloves. Next day from Gerber.

Might be of help to someone. ;)

Back
Top Bottom