Question for a psychic mechanic

shakey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a well cared for, well maintained 2005 GSA that has done just 30,000 miles. Its only been used for fun so hasn’t had to endure harsh winter weather and spends its winter months in a Carcoon bike bubble in a heated garage. It’s a little bit spoiled.
That said, when it does come out I have used it for a couple of good 2/3k mile tours through France and Spain and it has never missed a beat.
I have the opportunity to ship the bike to America in Spring 2022 and use it for a six week 6/8k mile tour, doing a long lap starting in New York, east to west coast and everything in between.
The question for the psychic mechanics is if you were using a bike of that age and mileage and you had a year to get it ready what preventative maintenance would you do?
I’m not a mechanic and I don’t want to be sat at the side of the road for even a minute of my dream trip so would prefer to be certain that the bike is the best it can be and has a good 10,000 miles in the bank.

Would you change the Clutch?, fork seals? Wheel bearings? What else?

Personally, I'd refresh all fluids, and make sure there's enough meat left on brake pads and tyres.

Be happy that the battery hasn't suffered from prolonged storage.

Clutch? Only if you have really hammered it, or your riding style suggests you are likely to.

Wheel (and steering) bearings? Only if they are showing signs of wear.

I would suggest that rather than replacing everything th at could possibly fail, you ask a good mechanic to asses whether anything needsto be done on that specific bike.

Whilst pampering a bike sounds like a good way to preserve it, it's possible that some parts like bearings benefit more from more regular use.

A trip in 2022...you don't even know if you will be up for the trip then, never mind the bike. :D

Just treat and check the bike as you should do in the meantime.
Full service with recommended periodic checks.
Cables and all pivots lubed.

I wouldn't consider taking even a fully serviced bike straight from long term storage out on a long and expensive dream trip though, as even after a few months winter layup, a bike can be a bit moody, and things that had never been a problem before can start to give trouble.
I'd give yours some regular use during this year, especially in the later months, then give it a full service and change any consumables showing signs of wear prior to packing it up.

2021 to do list

New battery and starter motor check/replace

Check alternator

Front auxiliary belt

Rear shaft spline lube

Caliper check and seal rebuild perhaps

New shocks after 30k - Wilbers or Ohlins will give you a dream ride and better holiday trip

Pivot and bevel bearing check/replace and oil seal

Fuel hoses in the tank and fuel filter - extra quick fuel disconnect on left side of tank, so you can quickly remove tank without removing the cross pipe

Check fuel drain in filler neck is clear (you don’t want it filling up with water and going into tank fuel, on a big trip)

Maybe new throttle cables if stiff (don’t lube them as advised by Tarka as they don’t like oiling, as BMW use a special graphite when new)

New fork seals and oil in forks - at 16 years old they will leak soon and you don’t want fork oil on your visor or stuck at

Check condition of the main loom for degradation and sheath splitting and corrosion-you don’t want a bad earth or wiring fault spoiling your fun and buy an ignition loom repair cable to take with you (about £30 and takes up no space or weight)

Just give it a service before you go.

It will need an oil change whilst you’re out there and probably some new tyres.

I doubt there is anything that mechanically worn on your bike after 30k miles that isn’t going to last another 10k or more. Besides, anything you need for the bike, you’ll be able to get without too much difficulty.

Ian:thumb2

There are people over there who can fix things when they break. Meeting them is the best bit of travelling in my experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fit a new final drive bearing and seal then ride it.

I doubt there is anything that mechanically worn on your bike after 30k miles that isn’t going to last another 10k or more. Besides, anything you need for the bike, you’ll be able to get without too much difficulty.

Ian:thumb2

I have a similar age and miles 1150 GS Adv

In the last year it’s had a battery, starter motor and fuel pipes renewed

Plus at 30k your pivot bearings & maybe trunnions are ripe for renewal

I have a similar age and miles 1150 GS Adv

In the last year it’s had a battery, starter motor and fuel pipes renewed

Plus at 30k your pivot bearings & maybe trunnions are ripe for renewal

Not all bikes are the same, and a service should pick up anything that might need replacing, which is why I mentioned it in my original post.

Batteries are age related consumables.

Not all bikes are the same, and a service should pick up anything that might need replacing, which is why I mentioned it in my original post.

Batteries are age related consumables.

Yep
I am on my 3rd battery

If it was me shipping a bike to USA then they would be some of the areas I would look at (from experience)

A service is a good idea, but some mechanics are better than others

Those are the things that have gone wrong in the last 18 months on my similar 34k 15 year old bike

Once inspected, after failing...it was clear they were fubarred despite regular servicing of said bike & not picked up at a service as the be minute they are working and next they aren’t - especially fork seals which are oft overlooked and the oil was filthy inside

Shocks can spring a leak and if his budget and desire is great enough - he will have a more enjoyable trip on a bike shod with decent aftermarket shockers

Pivot bearings are something that gives up between 30-40k as a regular occurrence and can mark the trunnions on a 1150 GS

He did ask for a ‘psychic’ mechanic and I was just adding my experience as where to look for things that might malfunction and spoil a trip

From my experience of a low mileage 1150GS, I’d get the gearbox input shaft checked for wear. After 15 years any grease put on the splines at the factory will be long since dried up.

Talk to Mikeyboy. Building bikes for world tours is his thing.

Thank you all so much for your advice. It’s exactly what I needed.

I have been planning this trip for ten years and it’s now just over a year away. I know that there are probably a lot of things that could go wrong between now and 2022 but I am an optimist so will carry on planning and preparing. I now have a pretty comprehensive list of things, based on your experiences to work through this year. I am lucky that I do have a good mechanic and a pretty healthy budget so we will start to prioritise what will be checked and what will be replaced.
Thanks again for all of you psychic insight

Thank you all so much for your advice. It’s exactly what I needed.

I have been planning this trip for ten years and it’s now just over a year away. I know that there are probably a lot of things that could go wrong between now and 2022 but I am an optimist so will carry on planning and preparing. I now have a pretty comprehensive list of things, based on your experiences to work through this year. I am lucky that I do have a good mechanic and a pretty healthy budget so we will start to prioritise what will be checked and what will be replaced.
Thanks again for all of you psychic insight

My pleasure-enjoy your trip and do a ride report too, before, during and afterwards

Don't sweat it, you're not headed for the DRC or Somalia. Ride it plenty in 2021 then give it a proper service including the fuel filter. And pop the seal out of the FD to check the bearing is OK. If anything goes wrong or feels iffy over the summer you have time to fix it before you go.

If you haven't changed the rear shock you might consider this. If two up with luggage get a heavier spring.

My bike 97 1100 has close to 70k miles on it and has proved to be as reliable as a house brick (most recently on a 6 week 10000km tour in Chile, Argentina and Bolivia), perhaps not because I'm a super mechanic, but because I use it regularly.

Oh, but get a good puncture repair kit and a compressor, a puncture is far more likely to stop you than anything else.

There are people over there who can fix things when they break. Meeting them is the best bit of travelling in my experience!

You've had a lot of good advice so far but in many ways I would dissagree with the above:rolleyes:

The USA is BIG and yes, you may find somebody with the skills/tools to help you - if you can reach them of course! - but I reckon one of the most important things for a long trip with vast areas of low population is to make sure YOU are carrying a few sensible spares based on oilhead historic known faults - maybe even a couple of tools, because it's one thing to find a garage or mechanic to help you - but a much bigger problem to find the spare parts:thumb

On long/big trips I carry:-

Hall sensor plate - and combination spanner for changing.
Large bearing and seal for final drive.
Clutch slave cylinder.

Also carry a Hexcode GS911 diagnostic tool

I've had my 2001 1150GS from new and in 2014 I sent it out to San Franisco for a 4-week USA tour with around 175k on clock.
In 2015/16 I sent it out to New Zealand for a 9-week tour with around 185k on clock.

Bike now has 215k on the clock and don't use it so much now, but in all the years of carrying the above spares I've never had to use any of them - but would still carry them in future.

Another important item is a mini-compressor and at least one kind of roadside puncture plug kit. Also, carry a copy of the BMW workshop manual and wiring diagrams on a tablet or similar - you may not be able to use it but it may help a mechanic.

Cheers........................Grizzly:beerjug:

+1 to Grizzlys post... especially in your case to have the manual and diagrams with you to show a suitable adult if/when something goes bonk.

My only thought is that you need to get some time in the saddle between now and departure with it loaded up exactly as you'll be riding it stateside. Make adjustments, try different packing methods, shift the weight around etc... Better to do it here and realise you don't need to carry that flimjam you'll never use, and to have your luggage fail here not in Death Valley...

Also you state you are not a mechanic, however you are going to be wholly reliant on your vehicle operating safely daily, so learn some basic, and I consider essential, daily mechanical inspections. There are some very good mechanics on this site, maybe book a day with one to teach you the essentials. That would be money very well spent, and it will increase your enjoyment, engagement and ownership of the journey.

And have fun.

I'm withe the fresh service and a k at least of miles before shipping as the bikes that usually shit something like a seal or battery are the ones laid up for months...

Back
Top Bottom