Luggage query

sk8mutie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

Been a few years since I’ve been on here as there was a ‘leaving the road’ incident onto the beach with my 1200Adv that I very nearly never walked away from!

Anyway, I managed to get back on the horse and not end up getting a divorce!! I currently have an 850GS Sport with Vario panniers and top box that I picked up at the end of the summer. I’ve decided to upgrade to the 1250GS TE and have been given conflicting advice.

I was initially told the panniers and top box would be a straight swap but now I’ve been told to sell them by the dealer as neither will fit the 2021 GS.

I’ve read on here that the top box would fit but the thread was labelled as 1250 but the comment further down the page stated 1200GS, so just wondering if I need to re-buy both the panniers and top box or there’s any truth that they are interchangeable?

Many thanks in advance.

Not certain about the panniers but I can confirm from experience that the 1200LC top box (which does fit the 1250) will NOT fit the 850. The holes in the 850 rack are in the wrong place :blast

Hi richardbd....thank you for that. What I do have is the aluminium top box from my 2014 LC Adv that wasn’t in the bike when I crashed. So there’s potentially a chance that with the aluminium luggage framework and top box carrier, it may fit!! Looks like I have 3 month old Vario luggage for sale then!!
What I did do after posting this was look at the panniers, and there’s the information tally in the lid detailing the max weight and speed and lists the 1200GS as well as the 850 so I was hoping they hadn’t changed anything for the 1250 and I’d get away with a straight swap!! Damn!!

Hi GSian,

I saw that too, again, after I’d posted my original message, but it was the dealer that has told me they don’t fit and the 2020-21 1250GS Vario panniers have the aluminium cover on the lid, unlike the ones I have.

I think I’ll wait and see what they say on Thursday when I drop the bike off and not sell the luggage i’ve got until I have the new bike and checked it myself. As I have my old aluminium top box for my 1200 LC Adv...and it ‘may’ fit, I’ll bring it up and check before I commit to plastic or aluminium!!

Thanks for the replies though.

If you look on the BMW Bohling web site it suggests that the same Vario panniers fit the 850GS 17 -19 and the 1250 gs 18 -19. Which means they would also fit the 2021 1250GS too.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...2013-2018-r1250gs-2018-2019-keyless-ride.html

I can confirm that the black GS Vario panniers in the link I sent are the same as the ones with a silver cover. And they fit the 2020 1250GS, which is exactly the same fitting the 2021 and the earlier 2017 - 1200 LC's

As for the top box I don't really know, but I'm lead to believe that it's only the adapter plate that replaces the plastic insert in the rack that's unique to the bike model, so the top box should fit if you get the right adapter.

Don't know why the dealer would say they don't fit. Perhaps they're referring to the GSA, but even then with the right adapters/hangers and the framework removed they fit. Best way is what you're doing already, try them, but i'd be confident they'll be ok.

Interested to know the final outcome.

That’s great news as I can’t afford to change the bike let alone replace 3 month old luggage!!

I’ll let you know, but agreed, the adapter plate should be all you need. It was mentioned about ‘slimline’ Vario cases on the 850, but this’ll be my 8th GS and I’m sure the panniers are fairly standard given the last of compatible bikes printed on the inside of the lid (more for weight/speed for different models) and one would assume only the bracketry to make them fit.

I can confirm that the black GS Vario panniers in the link I sent are the same as the ones with a silver cover. And they fit the 2020 1250GS, which is exactly the same fitting the 2021 and the earlier 2017 - 1200 LC's

As for the top box I don't really know, but I'm lead to believe that it's only the adapter plate that replaces the plastic insert in the rack that's unique to the bike model, so the top box should fit if you get the right adapter.

Don't know why the dealer would say they don't fit. Perhaps they're referring to the GSA, but even then with the right adapters/hangers and the framework removed they fit. Best way is what you're doing already, try them, but i'd be confident they'll be ok.

Interested to know the final outcome.

Back
Top Bottom