LED & HID bulbs and the new MoT regs

Ok,dumb question...is it that simple? It's been a few years since we fitted the Wassell HID set up and I thought we had to change the bulb holders or something like that,can't remember.If it's a case of wanging the original bulbs back in then I'm ok with that.

Kimbo
Yes. You can just put in the old candles for the MOT. But as mentioned about, there's an outside chance your insurance might not want to pay up if they find HIDs fitted, rather than a purpose made headlamp unit for HIDs or LEDs. All bit if a joke to be honest, but we all know insurance companies are about insuring their own income in the first instance...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes. You can just put in the old candles for the MOT. But as mentioned about, there's an outside chance your insurance might not want to pay up if they find HIDs fitted, rather than a purpose made headlamp unit for HIDs or LEDs. All bit if a joke to be honest, but we all know insurance companies are about insuring their own income in the first instance...

Ahh,good man,thankyou for the reply :thumby:

I had to make a hole in each dust cap that are on the back of the headlamp unit for my HID's (HID50) so I might need to get 2 new caps if I go back to normal bulbs all the time.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

I had to make a hole in each dust cap that are on the back of the headlamp unit for my HID's (HID50) so I might need to get 2 new caps if I go back to normal bulbs all the time.

New caps are about £20-£30 from a BMW main dealer

Ok,dumb question...is it that simple? It's been a few years since we fitted the Wassell HID set up and I thought we had to change the bulb holders or something like that,can't remember.If it's a case of wanging the original bulbs back in then I'm ok with that.

Kimbo

I have a hole cut in the rear cover for the HID wiring. I have a spare with no hole. The bulb holders on mine are the same for both. It's easier to change them if you remove the headlight unit from the bike if you have big hands. Mine are 3xl.

Wow...off to motorworks we go!!

3D print some instead... I'd offer to do it for you, but my main printer is running full time at the moment. If you search online and you can find the STL file and you can wait 2-3wks, I'll happily print a couple for you

I have no idea what is in my bike. The headlight came off a 1200GS of some sort, about a 2006 ish model. Anyone recognise it? It is nice to ride behind and I have never had any indication from other road users as to it being intrusive - no flashing or fist waving at me.

Attachments

• DSCN5585.jpg
    DSCN5585.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCN5584.jpg
    DSCN5584.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 360
3D print some instead... I'd offer to do it for you, but my main printer is running full time at the moment. If you search online and you can find the STL file and you can wait 2-3wks, I'll happily print a couple for you

Wiring is moulded into the caps

For the sake of £30 I would sooner go BMW oem and did that

There's no wiring moulded into the caps on mine. With the hid fitted I have four wires coming through a rubber grommet fitted into the hole drilled in the rear of the cap.
Could always get a same sized grommet to fill the hole. Should be available.

Didn't think there were any wires moulded into it?

But it was only an offer and I didn't specify how much beer the printing will cost so it might be cheaper at BMW

The one Mr Slippery Posted won't fit my 2007 ADV but I've managed to find one that will.
Are these OK with the CanBus System?

The one Mr Slippery Posted won't fit my 2007 ADV but I've managed to find one that will.

That's interesting, have you got the link for the one you've found, mines an 06 GSA, I was looking at a review on the other link and a guy says the electrical plug is wrong for his GS.

Hmmm... Interesting. I wonder what's different? Sorry about that. I've had zero issues with the unit. I'm really chuffed with it.

Mine is a 2011. No issues whatsoever ref canbus. Literally just connect the plugs and it's working just as you'd want.

Hmmm... Interesting. I wonder what's different? Sorry about that. I've had zero issues with the unit. I'm really chuffed with it.

Mine is a 2011. No issues whatsoever ref canbus. Literally just connect the plugs and it's working just as you'd want.

Does your plug look like the one in the link.
Found this one as well.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40001...lNvMoN7kK8-2QDIM_6xoCYpYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Looks good value. Not sure about the plug on this either. I'll check mine tomorrow.

That's interesting, have you got the link for the one you've found, mines an 06 GSA, I was looking at a review on the other link and a guy says the electrical plug is wrong for his GS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08J6TRTP2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A16YFHDVIZV0EA&psc=1

It's a completely different Shape to the other one.
Worth Noting that Motea are also listing the other Unit as the correct Fitment but it can't be.
Is the TC Unit different to the SC?

I'm not sure that the AliExpress Unit behaves in the same way as the Amazon one?
It seems to Illuminate each Light individually whereas the Amazon one links them all together.
Maybe it's just the way they've Demonstrated the one on AliExpress?

Does your plug look like the one in the link.
Found this one as well.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40001...lNvMoN7kK8-2QDIM_6xoCYpYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Looks good value. Not sure about the plug on this either. I'll check mine tomorrow.

This one will actually cost you £145.95 incl. Delivery AND Vat (since December 2020):

From 11PM 31 December 2020, AliExpress is required by law to collect UK Value-Added Tax (VAT) at the applicable rate and remit to the UK tax authority when goods are sold to UK customers (i) where the goods are located outside the UK at the point of sale with a consignment value of GBP135 or less, or (ii) where the goods are in the UK at the point of sale, but sold by an overseas seller. For more information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and...using-online-marketplaces-from-1-january-2021

Back
Top Bottom