Side stand shims..

WillyB

Reaction score
Hi all
2006 gs
Bike leans over very far..
I read somewhere that you could fix with replacing or doctoring the shims/spacers, l have done a search but can't find anythin.
Is this possible or have l dreamed it 😲😁

Any help Tia

WillyB

Last one I fixed I removed the sidestand and squished the top yoke in a bit in the press until it was a neat but not a bound up fit on the mount and then ground off a mm or so from the spacer bush so again it was a neat fit and not splayed

It was teh best medicine my mates 1150GSA has had for years :aidan

Last one I fixed I removed the sidestand and squished the top yoke in a bit in the press until it was a neat but not a bound up fit on the mount and then ground off a mm or so from the spacer bush so again it was a neat fit and not splayed

This will get rid of play in the mounting point but how will it make the bike more upright, or am I missing something, to get mine to sit more upright I used the hockey puck method.

Al.

The 2006 has an odd system of shims as such

There is a long part threaded & grooved bolt if i recall, and two top hat bushes that the bolt sits through

yes just had look on real - 2x varients

V1 bolt & tube bush

V2 bolt & tube bush + 2 top hat bearings / bushes

you need to determine which variant you have,

Also if the bot hole has got stretched / elongated, that will need sorting first, as changing parts wont solve anything long term

My guess is you have V2 and the top hat bushes are worn away

An you cant change them until you remove the stand,

They weld themselves to the inner bush so a hacksaw blade becomes your best friend ;)

+1 for the hockey puk method. Couple of quid from flea bay and fits nicely on the bottom of a camel toe or similar side stand foot enlarger. Raises my 2007 to a good angle.

Thanks for the replies.
I will look and see what fittings l have.
Puc method I'm not sure l understand, l have a large camel toe plate fitted, does the puc go underneath somehow?

Cheers WillyB

Thanks for the replies.
I will look and see what fittings l have.
Puc method I'm not sure l understand, l have a large camel toe plate fitted, does the puc go underneath somehow?

Cheers WillyB

You can use longer screws through the plate and the puc, countersink the holes on the underside of puc and screws face upwards.

Al.

What setting is the suspension on while on the sidestand ?
A setting which results in a higher ride height, such as off road mode will make the bike sit higher when parked and therefore lean over more on the sidestand.

What setting is the suspension on while on the sidestand ?
A setting which results in a higher ride height, such as off road mode will make the bike sit higher when parked and therefore lean over more on the sidestand.

2006 didnt have ESA std suspension if i recall one size fits all

No ESA on my 2006..
But I have installed a Nitron rear shock rated to 1200lbs and it still leans to far, when fully loaded with panniers and waterproof bag, full tank of juice it is a bloody heavy beast to get off the side stand.
Looks like the puc is the best wat to go.

Thanks for all the replies

WillyB

I fitted a puck to my bike.

Here’s some pictures.
Bike is an ’07 GS. Std suspension on std settings. Bike fitted with GSA panniers.
1st Pic shows lean angle of my bike.

2nd Pic is top view. I have found you only need 3 bolts. It’s rock solid.

3rd Pic. I used nyloc nuts.

4th Pic is with side-stand up. I found that I needed a chamfer on the puck so that the side-stand clears the main-stand when they are both in the up position. I fitted a piece of checker-plate, countersunk the holes, and fitted countersunk bolts.

This combination works for me. Your requirement may differ, but the principle will be the same.
The only bad news I have found from this set-up is something we don’t think about in the UK, but if you are in Europe and on the other side of the road, if you park your bike the road camber works against you and the bike can be almost upright. You only get caught out the once!
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_124410.jpg
    IMG_20210221_124410.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20210221_124509.jpg
    IMG_20210221_124509.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20210221_124551.jpg
    IMG_20210221_124551.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20210221_124626.jpg