1150GSA Fuelling problem

big rob

Reaction score
My 2003 71K 1150GSA has developed a fuelling problem. Recently, on exiting a corner onto a straight (on the throttle all the way) bike lost power as if it had run out of fuel (Revs dropped to tickover), quickly recovered & was able to continue my journey home. Have had similar 'blips' but only after bike has been banked over.
History supplied with bike states fuel pump was replaced with a new pump in 2017 @ 63.5K (I'm guessing a new filter would have been fitted at same time as pump?)

Would appreciate any thoughts/ similar experiences from the collective.

Thanks in advance, Rob

By any chance Is the small filler neck drain hole at 9 o'clock as you look into the filler neck Blocked ?

Water in tank is a possibility if it is

What’s best way to deal with water in the tank if there is water in? I recently unblocked that very hole and experienced something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water, throw in some "dry fuel" stabiliser, and yes the standard filler drain blockage. :beer:

Are you sure it is due to fuel problems? The wiring at the base of the ignition switch is a known weak spot but generally you lose all power. Maybe try starting the bike and give the wires a bit of wiggle to check if you think it might be electrical.

Wynns Dri fuel is an Additive that you can get in Motor factors

My preference is to drain and pull the tank and pull the fuel pump flange off the tank, Syphon out the last dregs, and mop the tank out with microfibre clothes and change the fuel filter whilst I have the flange out

Water loves paper, Guess what your fuel filter is made of?

As a Note:- I drain the last half tank of fuel into a semi transparent 25 litre drum and include the Micro fibre towels in there too (By squeezing them out over a 10 inch funnel)

Why you ask? Well basically to show the amount of water you removed draining the fuel filter is always interesting
(I know! But it's a Quiet life out here in the country :aidan )

Note:- BE careful if you use kitchen roll or tissue as they leave paper fibres and fall to bits Thats why I have moved into Micro fibre it holds a lot of fluid and can be squeezed out and re-used rather than lobbing petrol soaked paper in the bin

All the above takes about an hour and removes all the uncertainty about : - Did I get the water out?

Mahle OE Fuel filter number is KL145

What’s best way to deal with water in the tank if there is water in? I recently unblocked that very hole and experienced something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, will have a look tomorrow :thumb2

By any chance Is the small filler neck drain hole at 9 o'clock as you look into the filler neck Blocked ?

Water in tank is a possibility if it is

Filler neck drain hole blocked, water present in filler neck (gave bike a hose down after last ride). Have ordered new fuel filter so will get tank off & drained once that arrives.
Thanks again yours & everyone's suggestions :thumb2

Filler neck drain hole blocked, water present in filler neck (gave bike a hose down after last ride). Have ordered new fuel filter so will get tank off & drained once that arrives.
Thanks again yours & everyone's suggestions :thumb2

Rob just be careful that if you try to clear that hole by poking something in it? You will likely compact the silt in harder !

Its a good idea to blow up the ways from the hose by the rear tank mount rather than go in from the top

One of the hoses is the tank vent, which you will hear hiss in the tank with the lid open, the other is the filler neck drain which "should" dislodge the stuff holding the water

Its a good idea to lightly pack kitchen roll in the filler neck opening to catch the crud that might blow out

I use strimmer cord with WD40, and lots of patience, a regular spray of WD40 works wonders. :beer:

So today was the BIG day; Mrs Big Rob & I have changed fuel filters on our 1100S's a few times so know what a "challenge" the task can be :anger
Fuel filter now changed on GSA, had a blow thru vent hoses & both clear, emptied tank completely & wiped inside as best we could.
Essential test ride next after I buy some fresh fuel, fingers crossed it was just water in the fuel, (am following other thread where someone is having similar problems).
Thanks again to everyone for their input. :thumb2

Well folks, unfortunately the problem still exists, have tried swapping Coil Sticks (nicked off our other twin spark bike) still made no difference.
What do you people think? (Any Oilhead Guru's within a couple of hours riding of Angus?)
Cheers, Rob.

Well folks, unfortunately the problem still exists, have tried swapping Coil Sticks (nicked off our other twin spark bike) still made no difference.
What do you people think? (Any Oilhead Guru's within a couple of hours riding of Angus?)
Cheers, Rob.

I had a similar issue with mine and it turned out to be the ‘U’ shaped rubber hose in the tank that connects the fuel filter to the pump. It had perished over time and although externally looked okay inside it was split in several places and was unable to sustain pressure but as it’s in the tank there’s no sign of leakage externally.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/369288-Twin-spark-misfiring/page2

I had a similar issue with mine and it turned out to be the ‘U’ shaped rubber hose in the tank that connects the fuel filter to the pump. It had perished over time and although externally looked okay inside it was split in several places and was unable to sustain pressure but as it’s in the tank there’s no sign of leakage externally.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/369288-Twin-spark-misfiring/page2

Have now renewed 'u' shaped rubber hose (how much :eek:) and yet the problem still exists. Luckily I have other bikes to ride but would like to resolve this as I do enjoy the old GSA.
Any other ideas folks?
Cheers, Rob.

Back
Top Bottom