IGNITION HT LEADs

Borderbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fired up my PD earlier and it took a while. I washed it yesterday and on close examination, the insulation on the HT leads is cracking. So I suspect that may be the issue. Easy I though, just order up two new leads. But wasn't expecting them to be £50 each from Motorworks/bins! Is there a simpler option? Not looked at it in detail but I notice you can buy the HT lead by length form Motorworks. The caps look fine so is it straightforward to simply make them up myself. Or am I better off just biting the bullet? Or other source of leads?

There are special requirements for cap resistance, I believe. Worth looking up. It may also reveal what ohm/m the leads need to be.

Just my 2d worth; I'd stay original, just plug and play etc. Also affects selling price. Disgusting price at £50 each ( tell me !! )

Try a pm to Mikeyboy to enquire if he has a s/h pair ( gentleman to deal with ).

Just my 2d worth; I'd stay original, just plug and play etc. Also affects selling price. Disgusting price at £50 each ( tell me !! )

Try a pm to Mikeyboy to enquire if he has a s/h pair ( gentleman to deal with ).

Thanks yes I did notice secondhand ones are available. That just doesn’t feel right though. I can’t think of another electrical renovation I’d complete using secondhand cable!
I can’t think of a much simpler assembly of components than a HT lead and I’m perfectly happy to assemble myself - assuming it’s as straightforward as I suspect. It’s about 40 yes since I did it for a Morris Minor.
Not sure I want to donate so much money to BMW. What’s the advantage? Genuine question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you just change the cable and keep your original plug caps?

I went with new cable and NGK caps on mine and mechanic threw the old ones in the bin before I had realised :blast

My plan was to take the originals off and store them carefully. Then if I ever came to sell, and we can still get petrol when that happens, the originals would be pristine to put back on....

I have a dyna coil on mine ,did have some standard leads which were fine .
However I had some spare Taylor leads I popped them on they have made a big difference in starting and tick over

Can you just change the cable and keep your original plug caps?

I went with new cable and NGK caps on mine and mechanic threw the old ones in the bin before I had realised :blast

Exactly what I intend to do. New NGK plastic caps are cheap but I quite like the look of the original metal ones and nice to keep it original. Rest of the bike is in excellent condition.

Hi Bob, hope you’re keeping well! Before you do that, check the resistance of the plug caps is still in limits, they do degrade over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have a look at motobins £14.00 each.

That is for the NGK leads.

Thanks for the info I will be changing the plastic NGK plug caps for these metal ones found on the same page :thumb

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 14.52.18.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 14.52.18.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 143
Motobins used to sell pattern ones if you want to keep looking original. Don't know if they still list them but I have used them in the past with no problem.

Motobins used to sell pattern ones if you want to keep looking original. Don't know if they still list them but I have used them in the past with no problem.

Thanks. Ordered from Motorbins yesterday, arrived today, fitted this afternoon. Bike fired up first time. . The near side lead might have benefitted from being 20-30mm longer compared to the original, but it’s OK and I’m happy.

Or do that ^^^^!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Nin, yes I'm good and enjoying life - particularly your rebuild threads! Went new Bosch metal caps and leads and all fine now.

Just wondered if you've got any advice on simple place to pick up an ignition switched live for a relay controlling spot lights. I'm trying to do minimum damage to the loom ie not cut into a wire unless absolutely necessary and want to stay away from ignition lead on coil. Thought I could use a piggy back blade fuse connector as suggested by Mickeyboy - great idea but checked and it wont fit in without modifying cap and don't want to do that. Just wondered as you've been rewiring a n air head recently. Cheers.

Hi Bob, good to hear from you - is that the lovely black PD you had in the garage?

For lights I'd run a fused live from the battery via a switched relay using the pilot light feed as the switching circuit. That way all the load is going through a dedicated loom just for the lights.

Sent from my SM-T395 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom