Top Box Rack Conversion

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
At the moment I have the big plastic standard BMW top box on my 1150 GS. If I wanted to use that space for a roll top bag what are my options on putting some sort of flat plate with holes for straps there instead? I can’t remember how it is standard ( grab handle, top box mount ) and what I can remove to change it.
Anyone got any ideas? :nenau

Hi Udd's
Under the top box mount will be the standard ally framework.
It's not very wide, but I think Mark Hooton did a plate that bolted on to give you a wider load plate.
Also have a look in Rugged Roads as they used to do a lot for 1150's

Rugged Roads is the obvious choice. https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00...604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/1075

If you're one up then you won't need it as you can put the roll bag where the pillion seat should go, just remember to lock the toolbox cover eh?

Rugged roads is a decent size for a 40l bag. When I'm travelling I turn the grab rail round so the bag sits more comfortably on the plate. I think if you haven't got a grabrail because of your topbox you might want to find one as it makes strapping a bag on much easier.

50359139178_376d0a9fa7_c.jpg

These are good by Zweckdesign

Fits the pillion seat area and just clips in like the pillion seat

9099c9977d0368bf5deb70cd5630ff6a.jpg

I’ve got a stainless cover where the pillion seat normally sits and always strap heavy items there rather than on the rack so the weight is in a better position.

I already have a metal lockable tool tray cover on my bike. That’s where my roll bag will go. I was more after something that fitted on the back where the top box goes. Perfect place for something light like an air bed I was thinking.

I have one of those very rare and expensive mounting plates for sale :D

I could be very interested in that, sir... Any chance you could let me know the condition/price (PM if you like)?

I have a black one already but it’s a toss-up whether I replace it or dismantle and get it powder coated.

Back
Top Bottom