GSA Rear Rack in Black

Reggie353

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anybody know if this is anodised? And if it is durable. I have a silver one powder coated black and it is starting to chip.
494f1df753d9910b72bb5334ba08a1cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody know if this is anodised? And if it is durable. I have a silver one powder coated black and it is starting to chip.

Most luggage rack are powder coat, strange yours chip, maybe bit grease on parts where chip comes, must be good clean for powder coat :beerjug:

It will only be anodised if it is aluminium and I don't believe that it is.

Most luggage rack are powder coat, strange yours chip, maybe bit grease on parts where chip comes, must be good clean for powder coat :beerjug:

It’s chipping where the topbox sits on top. Just wondered if the OEM rack was anodised and more durable.
a2183db32b9563fd198c20d7e45b466a.jpg

fb4e8480915a47e342df4802152a94a3.jpg

e64d56c4f4084eee866c092cdb86a139.jpg

It’s chipping where the topbox sits on top. Just wondered if the OEM rack was anodised and more durable.
a2183db32b9563fd198c20d7e45b466a.jpg

fb4e8480915a47e342df4802152a94a3.jpg

e64d56c4f4084eee866c092cdb86a139.jpg

OEM is natural stainless steel, I do not think any solution for top case rubbing, even my OEM silver has marks from rubbing, but less visible.

The listing on MotorradBohling UK says it’s powder coated Reggie.

Maybe paint again, then clear tape where rub happen, I have clear tape on my OEM silver rail

Thanks for the replies. A winter project.

I had my silver racks powder coated black by a local alloy wheel company (before the black OEM racks were available) and have found the extra thickness means I have to give the boxes a good thump to get them far enough onto the friction fittings so that the catches will close. Inevitably the powder coating has been scratched off in the places where the boxes meet the bars similar to the pictures above.

I have put clear 3M tank tape on some of the places where I catch the bars sometimes with my boot but if I did that where the luggage friction fits I definitely wouldn't be able to get the catches to close.

I had my silver racks powder coated black by a local alloy wheel company (before the black OEM racks were available) and have found the extra thickness means I have to give the boxes a good thump to get them far enough onto the friction fittings so that the catches will close. Inevitably the powder coating has been scratched off in the places where the boxes meet the bars similar to the pictures above.

I have put clear 3M tank tape on some of the places where I catch the bars sometimes with my boot but if I did that where the luggage friction fits I definitely wouldn't be able to get the catches to close.

Good info thank you mine is oem silver and tape helps with Bumot box, but your logic is correct more paint more thick and with tape.

BMW do warn that if you buy and actually use their black racks that the black will scuff off from the boxes.

I’m not sure how durable the BMW version is

BMW do warn that if you buy and actually use their black racks that the black will scuff off from the boxes.

Thanks for that info. I've sometimes pondered swapping my powder coated scaffold for the BMW OEM but couldn't in any way justify the price. I'll leave it on the "when I win the lottery" pile... near the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom