Front Forks

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Refitting front forks on my R75/6 (1976).
Can someone confirm the torque settings for the steering stem nut (no damper fitted) and the two fork top cap bolts (underneath the chrome top trim cap with the two holes in). My Clymer says 120-130 Nm but they were not that when I removed them!
Maybe a silly question !!

There is always a (an engineering) reason for a specified torque setting. Haynes confirms your Clymer figures. I've just been doing these on one or 2 of mine. I've found that to do them that tight you need a special tool or you run the risk of rounding the hex. I think the latter risk is why people don't do them up to the specified torque. It's easier with a claw-type tool; a socket normally has a lead-in chamfer which is no good on those this hex's. Sometimes

What you tighten them up to is your affair!

Thanks for the replies just put the forks back and used 120 Nm, the most fiddly bit was getting those indicator wires correctly routed :blast

The problem with doing them, and the stem nut, up to full torque is that you usually pull the forks out of alignment doing so!
I have seen pictures somewhere of someone doing it as a three man job, with a long length of angle iron bolted to the handlebar mounts held by two men in an attempt to hold everything in line.
Easier to use a billet top triple!
But most forks will probably be worn enough by now that a little miss alignment will probably not cause too many problems!

Back
Top Bottom