Ardennes - Where to stay

Will have a look at that today thanks.
We found Bouillon as a base was a bit lacking on places to eat out.

Although they’re marginally outside what should be taken as being in the Ardennes Region both Rochefort and Dinant have a good selection of places to eat out and Rochefort has a little extra going for it in the form of their own Trappiste beer. I prefer Rochefort because it just seems to be a bit quieter and a bit less tourist orientated but I’d go back to both without any hesitation.

I’d just use Booking.com and look for anywhere on the River Meuse. If the pictures look ok and the reviews aren’t bad then go for it.

If secure parking is essential then maybe motorbike holidays aren’t for you? Just put a disc lock on or chain it to a lamppost and away you go :beerjug:

Security isn't a priority Andy. Last time in Bouillon bike was parked on the path at side of road. I will also look at what you have suggested thanks.

Following Chas post above ref booking direct rather than through booking sites, I found this to be the case with the Hotel de la Poste in Bouillon (and others) after the proprietor suggested i call direct and she would beat the booking site prices. Lovely lady, must go back again sometime.

even Arsey likes it! I will be there with a few friends on 5&6 May

Probably a bit later in May for us. Shame as we could have had a beer or four. Let us know how you go on or have you stayed there before ?

Probably a bit later in May for us. Shame as we could have had a beer or four. Let us know how you go on or have you stayed there before ?

No, not been to Dinant before. We were supposed to be there in 2020, on the way back from Lac du Nantua in the Jura but, you know.

I know the area pretty well as toured there many times but always stayed a little further south. Places like Bouillon in Belgium, Étréaupont in France, Remich & Clervaux in Lux or Trier in the German Mosel. All make decent bases from where you can visit 4 countries in about 40 minutes.

No, not been to Dinant before. We were supposed to be there in 2020, on the way back from Lac du Nantua in the Jura but, you know.

I know the area pretty well as toured there many times but always stayed a little further south. Places like Bouillon in Belgium, Étréaupont in France, Remich & Clervaux in Lux or Trier in the German Mosel. All make decent bases from where you can visit 4 countries in about 40 minutes.

Ok thanks.

Will have a look at that today thanks.
We found Bouillon as a base was a bit lacking on places to eat out.

If you are looking for places with a choice to eat, I’d look at:

Rochefort (not to be confused with, La Roche en Ardenne, which itself has more than one or two) or Bastogne or Spa or Marche-en-Famenne. But all might be useless if you don’t intend to be anywhere near the places in the evening.

Sometimes it really is just easiest to open a Google map, then zoom in and out a bit to get a feel of the bigger towns. Then insert the name of the town into Google again and ask it for pictures. This will give you a pretty accurate feel for the place. Then ask it for restaurants and see what might take your fancy. Then, ask for hotels. Or change the order, if the location of the town is more important than the hotel or the restaurants. Or change the order again, if the hotel is the most important.

As this thread shows, it is really hard to suggest places to stay over an area the size of Yorkshire, not least as nobody has a clear idea as to where someone will be, how long they are going to be away for or quite what they might want. Sometimes, it’s just fun (daring even) to pick somewhere yourself, rather than going somewhere just because someone else has. When you are in the area and you pass through somewhere and think to yourself, “Mate, this looks like a great place”, take a simple note (photographs are great, as they often link straight to a map) and remember for next time. I do it sometimes as I ride along, if I pass what looks like a good cafe. I just mark it on my GPS as a favourite, all without stopping. Will I ever visit them all? No. But as they are in favourites they display on my screen and serve as a reminder, sometimes many years later. I guess I have a hundred or more; my computer and gps device do not forget them, even if I do.

PS There is no more good reason why every Belgian town must have a choice of restaurants or even cafes, any more than a Yorkshire town must have. Indeed, the rules are I guess pretty similar. If it’s a big place, then the chances increase. If it’s a hot tourist spot, the chances increase. If it’s Doncaster, you don’t want to go.

If you are looking for places with a choice to eat, I’d look at:

Rochefort (not to be confused with, La Roche en Ardenne, which itself has more than one or two) or Bastogne or Spa or Marche-en-Famenne. But all might be useless if you don’t intend to be anywhere near the places in the evening.

Sometimes it really is just easiest to open a Google map, then zoom in and out a bit to get a feel of the bigger towns. Then insert the name of the town into Google again and ask it for pictures. This will give you a pretty accurate feel for the place. Then ask it for restaurants and see what might take your fancy. Then, ask for hotels. Or change the order, if the location of the town is more important than the hotel or the restaurants. Or change the order again, if the hotel is the most important.

As this thread shows, it is really hard to suggest places to stay over an area the size of Yorkshire, not least as nobody has a clear idea as to where someone will be, how long they are going to be away for or quite what they might want. Sometimes, it’s just fun (daring even) to pick somewhere yourself, rather than going somewhere just because someone else has. When you are in the area and you pass through somewhere and think to yourself, “Mate, this looks like a great place”, take a simple note (photographs are great, as they often link straight to a map) and remember for next time. I do it sometimes as I ride along, if I pass what looks like a good cafe. I just mark it on my GPS as a favourite, all without stopping. Will I ever visit them all? No. But as they are in favourites they display on my screen and serve as a reminder, sometimes many years later. I guess I have a hundred or more; my computer and gps device do not forget them, even if I do.

PS There is no more good reason why every Belgian town must have a choice of restaurants or even cafes, any more than a Yorkshire town must have. Indeed, the rules are I guess pretty similar. If it’s a big place, then the chances increase. If it’s a hot tourist spot, the chances increase. If it’s Doncaster, you don’t want to go.

As always wise words for which i do take on board.
Thanks

No problem.

Let us know what you decide to do, stay etc. please. And, not least, how it all went.

:beerjug:

I'm going to book somewhere for our first couple of nights then have a look. Probably Dinant.
If I was on my own I wouldn't be bothered but I have my other half to think about which for those of us that take there other half's is important. ;)

Back in October 2019, I stopped at the Hotel de la Sure in Esche-sur-Sure, following a recommendation from Bowser in a separate thread.
A somewhat eclectic place which seems to ramble through a number of inter-connected buildings on the hilltop. They also have an an house spa with a bath shaped like a giant stiletto....?
More importantly they offer clean rooms at a fair price and have an excellent restaurant. The owners ride bikes and offer use of the secure garage and workshop 100m from the hotel at no extra charge, have route maps for local rides and will make up a packed lunch if required. And on paying the bill, I got a 10% off my next stay voucher.

I'm going to book somewhere for our first couple of nights then have a look. Probably Dinant.
If I was on my own I wouldn't be bothered but I have my other half to think about which for those of us that take there other half's is important. ;)

pay extra for the river view to get additional brownie points

pay extra for the river view to get additional brownie points

For who ? You lot on here or Jayne. ;)
But yes I will if I can find a few extra pennies under the bed. ;)

Ardennes hotel Verviers.
Just booked this place for an overnight stop en route to Bavaria.Bar, secure parking, restaurants within walking distance.With the Mrs but looks suitable for chimps an all 👍

Back
Top Bottom