Starting issue

Johno23

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2009 GS. It’s been laid up for a year or two as I’ve been on other bikes. I want to use next week so charged battery connected it all up and just got a big click . Took battery off and tested it, only 10 .5 volts so fitted a new one. Still the same:mad: so removed starter suspecting that was failing. Connected starter up to battery and she spun up as I thought it should. Cleaned all connections refitted starter connected to new battery but still just a loud click. Sounds like it’s from the starter motor bur no 100% sure. Any ideas?

An earth leakage perhaps.

Put a voltmeter across the battery when you try to start her up and he what happens.

Starter motor coil suspect?

Is the engine free to turn:

Plugs out, engage a high gear, turn back wheel by hand.

Is the engine free to turn:

Plugs out, engage a high gear, turn back wheel by hand.

Yes, done that, turned it over. Still just a loud click.:mad:

Could it be the starter relay? …………where is that? The Haynes manual says it’s under the seat, but that’s bollox?……..

Although when I tested the starter it spun up, could it be it just doesn’t have the the torque to turn the engine over. (Even with the plugs out….:nenau

Edit: I think it has to be the starter motor. I just removed the small wire which connects to the solenoid. I now can hear a tiny click from the relay but no big click anymore. Which means it’s engaging but not able to turn engine over.

Best place for a starter motor? They look expensive……..

The starter relay on the 2009 is under the fuel tank underneath the ECU`s If 2 relays are fitted the other is the spotlight relay .
These 2 relays are interchangeable (handy for Test) The Haynes refers to the earlier bikes( relay under the seat)
When you tested the starter did you ground the casing and and connect a positive feed to the solenoid Starter feed to make it spin or did you connect the positive lead to the battery cable terminal on the solenoid and energise the solenoid with a feed to the spade connector.

The starter relay on the 2009 is under the fuel tank underneath the ECU`s If 2 relays are fitted the other is the spotlight relay .
These 2 relays are interchangeable (handy for Test) The Haynes refers to the earlier bikes( relay under the seat)
When you tested the starter did you ground the casing and and connect a positive feed to the solenoid Starter feed to make it spin or did you connect the positive lead to the battery cable terminal on the solenoid and energise the solenoid with a feed to the spade connector.

With the new battery, I connected the earth to the body of the starter. I then connected the positive to the starter main terminal. With a separate wire I ran that from the positive to the spade connector which then got the starter spinning.

So what happens if you take a short piece of wire attached, one end to the solenoid spade and the other end held for a few seconds on the starter motor battery terminal.
It should spin the starter / engine over.
If it just clicks or does not click at all, it sounds like the solenoid is u/s.
If it spins the motor over then it looks like the problem is with either the relay is faulty or the wire from the relay to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid is faulty . I have known for this wire to break down and had to run an external wire along the loom.
This is all assuming that the primary / coil side of the relay is ok ( the relay is clicking when the starter button is operated.

Starter motors may spin up, but still fail to engage when asked to take the normal load.

Either a Bosch or Valeo on a 2009, so will look pretty similar to the earlier bikes shown here .......... https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/207984-Starter-Strip?highlight=starter+motor

You have a new battery, fully charged, so if the engine earth/neg leads are good (clip a neg jump lead from battery to starter if in doubt), then I'm thinking (hoping) starter brushes or solenoid.

Check your alternator's not seized, if the bike's been laid up a while it's a possibility. You say the engine was turning over by hand but it's worth checking, even if it's just to rule it out.

Alternator is fine. Refurbed Bosch coming tomorrow, hopefully that will sort it ………will be back if not…:blast

Thanks guys…

Edit again….. on a slightly different subject, what oil is used in the dif. For some reason I thought it was an unusual one…..:nenau

Bollox!……
Still no start…… fitted another starter but exactly the same….. big click.
Removed and tested relay that’s all good………
Any other ideas guys? Bit stumped now……..

Where is the click coming from , the solenoid or the relay.?
Attach a multimeter or circuit testing bulb across the starter motor and ground.
Attach to these following points on the starter, the solenoid energising spade. The battery cable input terminal on the solenoid, the output terminal to starter motor on the solenoid.
Hit the start button in each position and let us know what happens.

I will try that today, cheers.
However, I think I know the problem now. The click is coming from the solenoid I think. But it is the same on both starters. So I suspect I’m not getting the full 12v down to exciter terminal . So I need to find out why. Hopefully today I’ll at least get to bottom of whatever is causing it.

I have known it for the "exciter" wire from the relay to the solenoid to fail inside the loom.
In this instance I have run a new wire external to the loom rather than cutting open the loom and trying to repair the failed wire.
It is pin 30 on the relay to the spade on the starter solenoid.

I have known it for the "exciter" wire from the relay to the solenoid to fail inside the loom.
In this instance I have run a new wire external to the loom rather than cutting open the loom and trying to repair the failed wire.
It is pin 30 on the relay to the spade on the starter solenoid.

Sorry Mistacat Is pin 30 not the 12 volt fixed "Live"

87 being the trigger wire for the starter!

Alternator is fine. Refurbed Bosch coming tomorrow, hopefully that will sort it ………will be back if not…:blast

Thanks guys…

Edit again….. on a slightly different subject, what oil is used in the dif. For some reason I thought it was an unusual one…..:nenau

Not to start a war but all my final drives use 85W140 GL5

Why put a thinner less capable oil in there ??

MOST important is that it is a GL5 specification oil Not a GL4 or a GL4/5 hybrid

Pin 30?? What is this please? And Dr Farkoff, I’ve no idea what this is…:blast I’m not great on electrics….

Sorry Mistacat Is pin 30 not the 12 volt fixed "Live"

87 being the trigger wire for the starter!

The way you have suggested is the correct way and the way that I would have connected it.
But according to the Haynes wiring diagram this is not the way it is wired ( obviously it would work either way round).
Having said this the spotlight relay next to the starter relay Haynes wiring diagram is totally wrong so there is every chance they have coked the starter relay wiring up.
If the red wire goes to 87 use 30 and if the red wire goes to 30 use 87 which should be right as the good Dr has pointed out.

The bottom of the relay looks like this and the spade connections are numbered .
It could be a 4 or 5 pin if 5 pin ignore the middle pin.

HVMPfil.png
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom