1300GS vs Tiger 1200

Cobb2020

Reaction score
So, here I am deciding what large adv bike to get when my great 900 GT Pro leaves the garage later this month. I've spent the weekend visiting dealers & my choice is the new 1300 GS or the upgraded 2023 1200 Tiger Pro, both are shaft drive & very similar weight. After riding both I have to say that there are aspects of each bike which I think are better than the other so I came away undecided. What is not in doubt however, is the price difference, Tiger dealers have zero miles 1200's around £14,600 OTR & we all know what BMW's are being sold for. So, in a nutshell I am probably going to go for the Tiger as the 7K difference in price will placate the Mrs. I did have a look at the 1250GS also but feel this is old tech compared to the others.

I did have a look at the 1250GS also but feel this is old tech compared to the others.
Did you ride it? Seriously you may be missing out here as the "old" generation 1250 is still a cracking bike and has most of it's foibles sorted. There's a huge amount of after-market stuff that just bolts on as well.

The Triumph made in Thailand cant even compared to a GS with its high center of gravity and forks…Only if you like the nameplate even a 1250 will be much better and be just as modern as the 1300 which in return has as a twin more power than the weird for a Adventure bike sounding 3 cylinder…Like buying a Dodge Challenger with weak sauce 3.6 V6 instead of going 6.4 Hemi V8 …🤣 And where is the 1300 more modern than the 1250 except for the short leg/low rider button or radar-cruise I would Never use on a motorcycle anyways…? Good 15hp/NM more are good but are negated by shorter stroke/taller gearing so that the 1250 is just as fast as the 1300 up to 90 mph…It sounds better and has a foot brake that is not linked to the front and 2-up the passenger sits better too ! Slightly more range too…And the weight is exactly the same because it is only as much lighter as the new battery and 1 liter less gas in the tank combined…4 kilos less if you opt for the forged wheels instead of spokes !

I’ve recently, well 2 years ago gone the opposite way. I wanted a slightly smaller, lighter adventure bike than my Super Tenere. I settled on my current bike the Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro. This was after riding the 850 GS in Sardinia for week and whilst it was a good bike it just left me a little cold. Very good at everything I did on it but just a bit, well boring. I took the GT Pro out for a day and loved the triple engine, didn’t feel any vibes that others moan about and liked the reduction in weight over the S10. I just found it a little cramped so ordered the Rally Pro. So far I’m still liking it. 13000 miles in 23 months having ridden it in Scotland, the French Alps, Provence and Norway. With quite a lot of gravel/dirt roads in Norway due the main roads being flooded, washed out and even buried under landslides. It’s much lighter, reasonably comfortable for decent (500-600 mile) distance days, particularly with the cool cover fitted. Triumph do seem to have a great line up of bikes at the moment. I think you’ll be happy with the Triumph.

I've had a good test ride on the Tiger 1200 too. I thought (compared to my 2019 GS) that the Tiger felt more nimble, more agile, and better braked (Brembo Stylema on a lighter bike). Like you, if I didn't have a GS and all the associated extra investment (pannier, loads of other extras) I would probably plump for the Tiger...
The bikes are very similar, and I loved how the Tiger has a dual personality. . In normal revs (for me, 2500 to 6000) power delivery felt very similar, but over 6000 on a handful of throttle the Tiger takes off more like an XR!!!
Right now, like you, I would probably take the Tiger or a late 1250... No way I'd pay so much of a premium for the 1300 GS...

Btw, boxerlusts comment re centre of gravity definitely could be levelled at the older Tiger, but the latest 1200 definitely does not have a high CoG ... Quite the opposite, makes a GS feel heavy and ponderous

The Triumph made in Thailand cant even compared to a GS with its high center of gravity and forks…Only if you like the nameplate even a 1250 will be much better and be just as modern as the 1300 which in return has as a twin more power than the weird for a Adventure bike sounding 3 cylinder…Like buying a Dodge Challenger with weak sauce 3.6 V6 instead of going 6.4 Hemi V8 … And where is the 1300 more modern than the 1250 except for the short leg/low rider button or radar-cruise I would Never use on a motorcycle anyways…? Good 15hp/NM more are good but are negated by shorter stroke/taller gearing so that the 1250 is just as fast as the 1300 up to 90 mph…It sounds better and has a foot brake that is not linked to the front and 2-up the passenger sits better too ! Slightly more range too…And the weight is exactly the same because it is only as much lighter as the new battery and 1 liter less gas in the tank combined…4 kilos less if you opt for the forged wheels instead of spokes !

What has ‘made in Thailand ‘ got to do with it ?
Many of the 1300 components are made in China.

Sent from my N65

Am I correct in thinking one of the Tigers major services are expensive ?

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking one of the Tigers major services is expensive ?
From a quick google...

Overall, the 2022+ Triumph Tiger 1200 has 10000 mi / 16000 km service intervals between oil and oil filter changes, which is very wide.

The major service needs to be done every 20000 miles / 32000 km, which involves changing the plugs, checking / adjusting the valve clearances, and also checking / adjusting the camshaft timing.

Overall, the 2022+ Triumph Tiger 1200 has 10000 mi / 16000 km service intervals between oil and oil filter changes, which is very wide.

The only problem with this, as it is with most (all?) bikes regardless of the brand, is that they also require an annual service if you don’t get to 10000 miles in the year

So one way or another you’re getting your wallet out at least once a year

My RP 900 is due its second service next month. I think it’s the big service. I’m expecting a big bill as I’ve got just about 13000 miles on it. It will be 2 years old on 1st March.

My RP 900 is due its second service next month. I think it’s the big service. I’m expecting a big bill as I’ve got just about 13000 miles on it. It will be 2 years old on 1st March.
you can get a quote from your local dealer here. I'm on 34K, so already had 2 'big ones' and nearing the 3rd. I notice on the new 900 update the big service has moved to 18K miles.

The only problem with this, as it is with most (all?) bikes regardless of the brand, is that they also require an annual service if you don’t get to 10000 miles in the year

So one way or another you’re getting your wallet out at least once a year
Yes, unavoidably true although just an interim service will be cheaper. I extended the warranty on mine to 4 years, but if I still have it after this (June) I will self service for the interim oil changes as they look pretty straightforward. Valve clearances I'd need to think about but think I'd get the dealer to do them.

you can get a quote from your local dealer here. I'm on 34K, so already had 2 'big ones' and nearing the 3rd. I notice on the new 900 update the big service has moved to 18K miles.

Thanks for that. Looks like around £550 ish. Not as bad as I thought. Do you know if the new big service at 18000 miles is being used retrospectively for the older (mines 2022) bikes?

Thanks for that. Looks like around £550 ish. Not as bad as I thought. Do you know if the new big service at 18000 miles is being used retrospectively for the older (mines 2022) bikes?
Not as far as I am aware. I was wondering after my next one whether I would stretch to 18K if I kept it that long though. (which would be 54K!)

I’d definitely take the Tiger at that saving .
Plus the 1300 seems plagued with issues already.

Sent from my
I just dont like the looks , the one I rode felt top heavy to be honest and just busy , nice engine and a good bike but I like a boxer and the new 1300 is a superb engine and package , even with its issues. Look at all forums and issues are always there as its a funnel for bad but a drain for good as most like to knock as soon as an issue starts ( all bikes) and the real ,and to be honest , only posts I take seriously are owners when it come to a real honest opinions and also comments on the real ownership . I comment , I know on a test ride but this is a Gs forum .

Not as far as I am aware. I was wondering after my next one whether I would stretch to 18K if I kept it that long though. (which would be 54K!)
Yeah I think I’ll do the same. It does seem that the 12000 mile big service isn’t really required. I do tend to keep bikes a while though.

So, here I am deciding what large adv bike to get when my great 900 GT Pro leaves the garage later this month. I've spent the weekend visiting dealers & my choice is the new 1300 GS or the upgraded 2023 1200 Tiger Pro, both are shaft drive & very similar weight. After riding both I have to say that there are aspects of each bike which I think are better than the other so I came away undecided. What is not in doubt however, is the price difference, Tiger dealers have zero miles 1200's around £14,600 OTR & we all know what BMW's are being sold for. So, in a nutshell I am probably going to go for the Tiger as the 7K difference in price will placate the Mrs. I did have a look at the 1250GS also but feel this is old tech compared to the others.
Tiger 1200 is a great choice 👍

Back
Top Bottom