1300GS vs Tiger 1200

Iirc the B service is a bit pricey, but only slightly more than a GS....
To overcome that objection, my Triumph dealer was offering a "service plan" to keep costs down.
I guess most of us would DIY or go to an Indie once out of warranty too ..?
Just ride both (or all 3) and make your choice ;)

I’ve recently, well 2 years ago gone the opposite way. I wanted a slightly smaller, lighter adventure bike than my Super Tenere. I settled on my current bike the Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro. This was after riding the 850 GS in Sardinia for week and whilst it was a good bike it just left me a little cold. Very good at everything I did on it but just a bit, well boring. I took the GT Pro out for a day and loved the triple engine, didn’t feel any vibes that others moan about and liked the reduction in weight over the S10. I just found it a little cramped so ordered the Rally Pro. So far I’m still liking it. 13000 miles in 23 months having ridden it in Scotland, the French Alps, Provence and Norway. With quite a lot of gravel/dirt roads in Norway due the main roads being flooded, washed out and even buried under landslides. It’s much lighter, reasonably comfortable for decent (500-600 mile) distance days, particularly with the cool cover fitted. Triumph do seem to have a great line up of bikes at the moment. I think you’ll be happy with the Triumph.
BMW took everything that was brilliant about the 750/800 and threw it out for the 850.
There's very good reason why ORS went from 12750/800's in the fleet to 3 850's.
The new 900 Rally - 12 back in the ORS fleet.

BMW took everything that was brilliant about the 750/800 and threw it out for the 850.
There's very good reason why ORS went from 12750/800's in the fleet to 3 850's.
The new 900 Rally - 12 back in the ORS fleet.
Thanks for that information. What’s ORS?

Thanks for that information. What’s ORS?
I think PitaNaanRoti is talking about the BMW Off Road School, and the new 900 BMW GS and the evolution (Not the Triumph Rally Pro). However the Triumph Adventure centre is pretty much next door and they do have a large number of Triumph 900 RP's and also the 1200 RP's. A brilliant place to learn with someone elses bike.

I think PitaNaanRoti is talking about the BMW Off Road School, and the new 900 BMW GS and the evolution (Not the Triumph Rally Pro). However the Triumph Adventure centre is pretty much next door and they do have a large number of Triumph 900 RP's and also the 1200 RP's. A brilliant place to learn with someone elses bike.
Thank you. Never thought of Off Road School. 🤦‍♂️

To answer the crazy cat ladies question what has made in Thailand to do with it ? If I was buying a british bike as expensive as it is it better be made in Britain otherwise I get a healthy discount which you dont…According to Bike the 1300GS outperforms the 1200 Tiger all through the revs not counting in the fork and center of gravity which is much higher on a inline 3 than a boxer whose crank does not build up any gyro and is perfectly suited for shaft drive thanks to the crankshaft that does not have to reroute the power by 90 degrees that creates more weight and saps power…

Had lots of Triumphs over the years (still got one in the garage) and have always loved the triple's - but after riding the new 1200 Pro I was left distinctly underwhelmed. Maybe just a rough demo bike but it felt a bit rattly and no where near the quality of a GS. I also felt it had a higher 'cog' and didn't really enjoy the riding position at all, or the way it felt on the road. So for me I was disappointed especially after all the rave reviews I'd read.

Others obviously disagree with my assessment and it's clearly a great bike for some as the Ducati is for others etc. Guess we're all lucky to have such a broad choice of quality rides to choose from - horses for courses.

The price difference is significant for sure, but it wasn't even a close call in my mind - GS on order.

One thing that's rarely mentioned when deciding on which bike to choose where the initial cost is a major factor is depreciation. Historically BMWs have held their value better and those "winning" at the front end with highly discounted models could be in fir a bit of a shock come trade in time, unless it's a keeper of course. As always as you've said it's down to individual choice

I’ve owned 3 GSA’s, last being at 2021. Sold it due to paint issues and a diabolical dealership. Moved over to a 23 plate Triumph RE. Simple summary from one with over 30 years big bike experience who got it badly wrong. If you have never owned a modern GS or GSA the Triumph is a brilliant bike.

It is more comfortable, cracking engine that’s way more fun, great feedback from the front, lots of modern tech and back lit buttons which you will need to start with.
Downsides (accepting that your not looking at a RE or GT E so it may be a tad different) finding the menus button even with summer gloves is difficult as it’s about 4mm lower that the indicator switch, it’s a very tall bike which carries a lot of weight very high up (even with the preload lowering engaged) no room for tank bag, some say mounting the sat nav on the screen adjustment bar makes it drop from the high position on its own and vibrates too much.

All small things that you really would not notice too much had you not done over 35,000 miles on modern GSA’s.

Taking current price difference into account the Triumph represents extremely good value for money.

To answer the crazy cat ladies question what has made in Thailand to do with it ? If I was buying a british bike as expensive as it is it better be made in Britain otherwise I get a healthy discount which you dont…According to Bike the 1300GS outperforms the 1200 Tiger all through the revs not counting in the fork and center of gravity which is much higher on a inline 3 than a boxer whose crank does not build up any gyro and is perfectly suited for shaft drive thanks to the crankshaft that does not have to reroute the power by 90 degrees that creates more weight and saps power…

It’s interesting that you should quote Bike magazine on the R1300GS out performing reg Tiger, but I couldn’t help but notice you didn’t quote Bike magazines report that they rested BMWs recovery service when their test bike stopped with an electrical fault after 731 miles.
Ride magazine also reported that their test bike also stopped and had to be recovered although Ride magazine “hid” it away in a little side-bar after telling all its readers what a wonderful bike it is!

The Triumph made in Thailand cant even compared to a GS with its high center of gravity and forks…Only if you like the nameplate even a 1250 will be much better and be just as modern as the 1300 which in return has as a twin more power than the weird for a Adventure bike sounding 3 cylinder…Like buying a Dodge Challenger with weak sauce 3.6 V6 instead of going 6.4 Hemi V8 …🤣 And where is the 1300 more modern than the 1250 except for the short leg/low rider button or radar-cruise I would Never use on a motorcycle anyways…? Good 15hp/NM more are good but are negated by shorter stroke/taller gearing so that the 1250 is just as fast as the 1300 up to 90 mph…It sounds better and has a foot brake that is not linked to the front and 2-up the passenger sits better too ! Slightly more range too…And the weight is exactly the same because it is only as much lighter as the new battery and 1 liter less gas in the tank combined…4 kilos less if you opt for the forged wheels instead of spokes !
I really think BMW missed the boat not having a larger tank and 17 inch wheels and a lot more power

I see there's some great deals just now too!
uk_offers_tiger_1200_dec23_2.jpg

The Triumph made in Thailand cant even compared to a GS with its high center of gravity and forks…Only if you like the nameplate even a 1250 will be much better and be just as modern as the 1300 which in return has as a twin more power than the weird for a Adventure bike sounding 3 cylinder…Like buying a Dodge Challenger with weak sauce 3.6 V6 instead of going 6.4 Hemi V8 …🤣 And where is the 1300 more modern than the 1250 except for the short leg/low rider button or radar-cruise I would Never use on a motorcycle anyways…? Good 15hp/NM more are good but are negated by shorter stroke/taller gearing so that the 1250 is just as fast as the 1300 up to 90 mph…It sounds better and has a foot brake that is not linked to the front and 2-up the passenger sits better too ! Slightly more range too…And the weight is exactly the same because it is only as much lighter as the new battery and 1 liter less gas in the tank combined…4 kilos less if you opt for the forged wheels instead of spokes !
Are you drunk?

Btw, boxerlusts comment re centre of gravity definitely could be levelled at the older Tiger, but the latest 1200 definitely does not have a high CoG ... Quite the opposite, makes a GS feel heavy and ponderous
Quite correct Martin, I think Boxer just cuts & pastes rubbish instead of doing any research. No way is the Triumph 1200 top heavy any more, I had a 2016 1200 Explorer that was but no real issues on my part with it.

My RP 900 is due its second service next month. I think it’s the big service. I’m expecting a big bill as I’ve got just about 13000 miles on it. It will be 2 years old on 1st March.
Glenn, Triumph have just announced that the expensive valve clearance service on ALL 900's has been put back to 18,000 miles from 12,000 miles.
Should save you some money mate.

Glenn, Triumph have just announced that the expensive valve clearance service on ALL 900's has been put back to 18,000 miles from 12,000 miles.
Hopefully, it’s booked in next Tuesday and I will be asking the question re valve clearances.

I'd like to get this verified, mines due shortly for the 36K service but will delay this until 42K if that stands, but there appears to be conflicting information on t'internet. I've seen one email from Triumph saying the opposite.

I'd like to get this verified, mines due shortly for the 36K service but will delay this until 42K if that stands, but there appears to be conflicting information on t'internet. I've seen one email from Triumph saying the opposite.
I’ve just had a nosey on the 850-900 Facebook page and apparently it’s only the 2024 model onwards. The 20-23 models are as you were at 12000 miles still.

Back
Top Bottom