On my way to Algeciras - Morocco bound

Great report - enjoying following it.
Honda must be loving you - a great promotion for the CB500X - seems to be taking it all in its stride.

Ha ha, I don't know about honda loving me. What I do realise is a GS or norden us a waste of time here, unless you've got skills. . I know I would never have done what I have done on my old GS or Varadero. The CB is lightish at 199 full of fuel and lowish, but I don't think I've hit my sump guard yet. Sure I have not done super difficult stuff. But on my own, I have been on the edge of my comfort zone a few times, perfect Morocco bike.

Hmm CB 500x
CRL 250/300

Or another makes equivalent. The CB 500 for me is great as, remember I rode it here too. All be it from the south of France.

Today I bit off more than I can chew, followed the GPS and the track just kept getting harder and harder. Dropped the bike twice and turned back. Dropped it a third time if I'd dropped it a fourth time I would have been sleeping there the night. Finally made the hotel at eight. It's freezing cold. Hurt my back but it was a great experience.

Video to follow.

1000008304.jpg1000008277.jpg1000008281.jpg1000008279.jpg

It's days like this that make the trip an adventure.
Great stuff Richie :thumb2
If there had been two bikes we might have made it. I just got scared and unsure. Plus tbh, after picking the bike up three times In ten minutes I was royally feked. Went back to town and blasted round to Boumalnes in two hours....

And the video, thankfully it was not a GS I had to lift three times. To be honest I removed the too box to make it easier to grab hold of and to make it lighter. By the third time I was done
Battle scares and memories, a great trip.

I’d just like to add my thanks for posting all of your fabulous trip up Richie, some amazing photos and memories for sure.

Richie, a big (and grownup) admission that you got scared after the third fall, let alone getting tired lifting the bike. I guess it shows that riding some of this stuff is better with two of you. That being said, I ruptured my Achilles in a petrol station in a very flat and civilised Holland. I was lucky in that it was my right leg, which meant I could just about ride the very heavy 1600 back to the ferry and then home. I was also very lucky to press two locals into picking the bike up for me, as it definitely cannot be done, standing on one leg. Likewise, had it of been my left leg I’d ruptured, I could not have got onto the bike, let alone ride it.

Riding on your own is fine, until it ain’t. It’s worth remembering sometimes.

All that aside, thank you for a great trip report. Much appreciated.

I had to make that call at a rutted track on the Camino de Santiago. It really could have ruined my trip and being solo thought better of it. 👍

Thanks for the feedback lads, I guess in reality I was a bit foolish to have gone as far as I did. Turning back was sensible, but made a long feking ride. I won't be riding in the dark anymore as loads of people flashed Me. My bike is rhd of course.

Today a ride to Imilchill which is a chill place at 2500 meters, to be honest I rode a bit on auto pilot, yesterday took a bit out of me. Brought me down a peg or two. It's getting cold and I am heading for the boat....

PXL_20231125_113447056.jpg

PXL_20231125_120009327.MP.jpg

PXL_20231125_122133596.jpg

PXL_20231125_123248228.jpg

PXL_20231125_124314007.jpg

PXL_20231125_131921418.jpg

Today a ride to Imilchill which is a chill place at 2500 meters
Do you know the local story of how the lakes there came to be?

The town of Imilchil represents a symbol of Berber culture, known for its festival, officially known as Betrothal Festival - the Souk Aam or Agdoud N'Oulmghenni. The legend goes that two young people from different tribes fell in love, but were forbidden to see each other by their families. The grief led them to cry themselves to death, creating the neighbouring lakes of Isli (his) and Tislit (hers) near Imilchil. The families decided to establish a day on the anniversary of the lovers' death - when members of local tribes could marry each other. Thus the Imilchil Marriage Festival was born.

What a day left imilchil before nine and have just arrived at Fez. Got lost off road, GPS and me, failure, got saved by a Berber family. The fella of which showed me how to get back to the road, then went around the mountain with me and I dropped him off the other side, fair play to him, we could not communicate at all other than ok, and gestures. I got fed and tea before we left his house.

Then ride on to Irfan, and just kept going. Not sure how much distance I did but roughly 350, this riding alone and off road can get very tiresome 😄

PXL_20231125_154841841.jpgPXL_20231126_080228261.jpgPXL_20231126_140947758.jpgPXL_20231126_092141404.jpg

Reactions: G&T
I guess I will catch the boat the day after tomorrow, any other suggestions before I leave? Maybe Chefchaoen tomorrow then boat.
If you had stayed in Meknes you could have explored Volubilis which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site tomorrow.... you still can but it's a bit of a side/back track.

Back
Top Bottom