Question about Karoo tyres

mr_magicfingers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got a quote from mttyres for karoo's for the gs1150.

Metzeler MCE Karoo 2 (T) Front 110/80 -19 TL 59Q M/C, M+S marking price 51.30 GBP
Metzeler MCE Karoo (T) 150/70 -17 TL 69Q M/C, M+S marking price 67.10 GBP

Is there a difference between karoo 2 and karoo. I'm going to phone in the morning and ask but thought I'd ask here in case they're actually different series tyres.

cheers.

Pretty sure that the (T) is what you are looking for. Regular Karoo (without the (T) ) are much more agressive dirt tyres.

Probably wouldn't hurt to confirm tho :thumb

Just got a quote from mttyres for karoo's for the gs1150.

Metzeler MCE Karoo 2 (T) Front 110/80 -19 TL 59Q M/C, M+S marking price 51.30 GBP
Metzeler MCE Karoo (T) 150/70 -17 TL 69Q M/C, M+S marking price 67.10 GBP

Is there a difference between karoo 2 and karoo. I'm going to phone in the morning and ask but thought I'd ask here in case they're actually different series tyres.

cheers.

Hey mate, I got a thread on this forum somewhere all about these with lots of input from others. The original Karoo got slated for road use but praised for offroad. The new Karoo T or 2 version have rounded and offset block tread pattern to allow a far better road profile for cornering... A few other peoples posts talk about "less cupping", "Metzelers version of the much loved TKC" and the Metzeler site mention lower road noise.

I did all the research before buying them mate :thumb

I'm still waiting for mine to turn up and today got a delivery date of the 18th. Lets see if they stick to their word?

A £112 delivered for a pair I couldnt resist and cant wait to try them! :bounce1

There can be some confusion between Karoo and Karoo (T). When I sourced a rear recently, I was supplied with a Karoo (it was the price that made me look twice at the sidewall).

The front (T) is labelled "MCE Karoo 2 (T)" and the rear is just "MCE Karoo (T)".

The Karoo (T) is Bias-belted construction, the Karoo is a radial.

The (T) is a much harder compound than the Karoo and longer lasting (the only thing that I can think that the T designation refers to is Touring).

For a tread comparison with Conti TKC80, the Karoo (T) on the left:

763715847_xibS6-M-1.jpg

763715949_Mh2gf-M-1.jpg

The Karoo's are part-worn.

The Karoo has an extra longitudinal cut in the blocks. I think that this explains their slightly faster wear than the TKC. They also have angled shoulder blocks that possibly help to reduce cupping.

They do wear quicker than TKC's but the price difference probably makes this even in the price-per-mile comparison.

Mike thank you very much for that, sounds like they've spec'd the correct pair of tyres, I'll be ordering those today. Cheers.

Justin.

Advice needed please!

I've been given a new set of Karoos, a tyre I've never used before.

They're for my 1150GS Adv.

Are these a correct set..?

Are they OK for road use as well as off road..?

Many thanks ~ :thumb2

Front - Karoo 2 110/80 R 19 M/C 59R Tubeless Radial

Rear - Karoo 150/70 R M/C 69R Tubeless Steel Radial

I've been given a new set of Karoos, a tyre I've never used before.

They're for my 1150GS Adv.

Are these a correct set..?

Are they OK for road use as well as off road..?

Many thanks ~ :thumb2

Front - Karoo 2 110/80 R 19 M/C 59R Tubeless Radial

Rear - Karoo 150/70 R M/C 69R Tubeless Steel Radial
They will fit but won't last long on road (certainly not as long as the Bias-belted versions).

Back
Top Bottom