Satnav’s, yes or no???

Martylaa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have recently become a GS1250 owner, so far just been out and about on routes I know well.

Looking at doing the NC500 next May with friends and thinking do I need a BMW Nav system or would I be able to just get away with iPhone hooked up to my quad lock system on a constant charge.

Also thinking about possible trips to Europe as well, what’s the thoughts on this. Do we really need the Satnav system, anyone got any good or bad experiences with either option.

Finally if a BMW Nav system is needed, is the 5 or 6 a one to go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently become a GS1250 owner, so far just been out and about on routes I know well.

Looking at doing the NC500 next May with friends and thinking do I need a BMW Nav system or would I be able to just get away with iPhone hooked up to my quad lock system on a constant charge.

Also thinking about possible trips to Europe as well, what’s the thoughts on this. Do we really need the Satnav system, anyone got any good or bad experiences with either option.

Zumo XT would be a better choice

Zumo XT would be a better choice

Ok, I’m not really up on this model, does that just fit into the BMW cradle or do I need to replace the cradle and buy the unit?

Is it easy to do?

Just to kick off.... If I were in the market today, I would probably go for the latest NAV6. Garmin claim to have ironed out some or all of the reliability issues. A new NAV6 was just launched a few weeks ago. Obv as it's so new, we are yet to have the famed reliability stats from the great unwashed on UKGSer...

The mounted NAV has lots to offer, and I've been in situations where the phone apps don't work because they need a signal (I know there are ways around that) and also stories of phones using loads of data when roaming overseas.

We have great success using GPX routes and sharing between the riders in our groups.

I like the wonderwheel, many of us have hundreds of MP3 songs on the SD card, and personally I like the way the NAV6 is the "controller" right in front of me, for music, phone calls (whilst my phone is in my pocket) and of course NAV uses...

You will get LOADS of advice on here - you need to have a think about what is right for you and your circumstances...

As JB recommends XT, I have on my Guzzi - it IS better than the NAV6, BUT it does not work with wonder wheel, and you need an adaptor (about £70) to fit the existing BMW cradle (or rewire direct to the bike and remove the BMW supplied NAV cradle...)

I use a Garmin XT having previously used a Nav V - the reason I changed was because of the ability to transfer routes wirelessly, which works very well. I mount the XT onto the BMW satnav mount using as 3DAM adapter as mentioned above. The slight disadvantage is that the wonderwheel doesn't work with the satnav

HOWEVER if I were in the market for a satnav these days I would probably opt for the MyRouteApp package which utilises a mobile phone, doesn't incur data charges and works seemlessly between route planning and navigation. There is much info about both in various threads on here. This option will probably work out to be much less expensive

Ok thanks, I’ll start having at look and read up on reviews mentioned here.

Just to kick off.... If I were in the market today, I would probably go for the latest NAV6. Garmin claim to have ironed out some or all of the reliability issues. A new NAV6 was just launched a few weeks ago. Obv as it's so new, we are yet to have the famed reliability stats from the great unwashed on UKGSer...

The mounted NAV has lots to offer, and I've been in situations where the phone apps don't work because they need a signal (I know there are ways around that) and also stories of phones using loads of data when roaming overseas.

We have great success using GPX routes and sharing between the riders in our groups.

I like the wonderwheel, many of us have hundreds of MP3 songs on the SD card, and personally I like the way the NAV6 is the "controller" right in front of me, for music, phone calls (whilst my phone is in my pocket) and of course NAV uses...

You will get LOADS of advice on here - you need to have a think about what is right for you and your circumstances...

As JB recommends XT, I have on my Guzzi - it IS better than the NAV6, BUT it does not work with wonder wheel, and you need an adaptor (about £70) to fit the existing BMW cradle (or rewire direct to the bike and remove the BMW supplied NAV cradle...)
This advice is spot on. Personally I use a tomtom but only because it’s cheaper. If money wasn’t an issue, I’d have an XT
I used to have nav 4/nav 5 on my GS’s and I didn’t use the wonder wheel

The Garmin V tomtom issue is interesting as well.
As a long time user of the Nav series and Garmins I find I’m ‘programmed’ to expect things to work in a particular way.
The tomtom works slightly differently which sometimes confuses me.
Apparently it’s ’cos I is an old fart’

I've been using my trusty TomTom for 10 years so I'm kinda pleased the new ConectedRide Navigator uses TomTom map software as it's always worked well for me

I've ordered one for the new bike

I've been using my trusty TomTom for 10 years so I'm kinda pleased the new ConectedRide Navigator uses TomTom map software as it's always worked well for me
I've ordered one for the new bike
It’s interesting to know that they’ve changed . Wonder why, and also wonder if new nav’s will be tomtom’s

As you can see there are a lot of differing opinions on this, all making valid fors and against.
I bought a nav 6 when I got my GS 2 1/2 years ago.
I’ve found it pretty good and like convenience of having it fit straight onto the bike and the controller integration.

However, if I were to buy again I’d not get the NAV and buy a XT. Purely as the NAV 6 is a bit outdated and was massively overpriced compared to the XT.

Nav VI for me too. Like the set up with the cradle and operation through the wheel. I couldn't be doing with having a £1000 iPhone wobbling about on the bars with a cable connection..

Just my two pennies worth.

On a bike tour, I prefer to use a dedicated satnav, it is designed to be constantly powered when mounted in its cradle. The battery within is good enough for a mere few hours at best, before needing to be charged. The dedicated satnav will come better in heat or cold too.

Your phone, will likely to be running very hot by being constantly powered, it will also be depleting the battery quicker than it could be charged, (especially up north in Scotland) by constantly looking for a strong signal and because of this, the overheating protection will kick in, and the phone will not be getting charged, because it is to hot.

If I was to go out on a quick half an hour to an hour long jaunt, then I might consider using my phone. But I don’t, as I can’t stand the additional hardware being bolted on everywhere. Ok, there are Ram Claw mounts etc, however, I have my Garmin XT and it does what it is intended to be doing very well. My phone is there for quick google search, book a hotel, take photos or videos, send a message or two and to post/reply on here.

Last edited:
Nav VI for me too. Wouldn't be without it. Wheel operation worth it alone.

I use a Garmin XT having previously used a Nav V - the reason I changed was because of the ability to transfer routes wirelessly, which works very well. I mount the XT onto the BMW satnav mount using as 3DAM adapter as mentioned above. The slight disadvantage is that the wonderwheel doesn't work with the satnav

HOWEVER if I were in the market for a satnav these days I would probably opt for the MyRouteApp package which utilises a mobile phone, doesn't incur data charges and works seemlessly between route planning and navigation. There is much info about both in various threads on here. This option will probably work out to be much less expensive
I have an XT but also have MRA gold Nav and Route planning. MRA is very good, but there is a major issue with the nav app, it burns through battery on your phone. So much so that the power to the phone can not keep the phone charged enough. It is a know issue with the development team and is to do with the HERE maps it uses. Until that is sorted I do not find it fit for purpose, even charging the phone in the car the iPhone battery can't keep charged enough. So if using a movie app, I still use Waze. But on the bike I use an XT.

Have had 3 or 4 Nav VIs all have failed and been replaced. Each time Garmin say they have fixed the ghosting issue. If the things didn't fail, they would be a good Nav and when working do the job very well.

Perhaps a solution to the issue Casbar described may be to not create the MRA route in HERE. It shouldn’t be an issue if the route isn’t to be transferred to a Garmin device

MRA is very good, but there is a major issue with the nav app, it burns through battery on your phone. So much so that the power to the phone can not keep the phone charged enough.
My points exactly in the post #16.

Use MRA route planner to create and to store all your routes, then by means of a phone, wirelessly transfer them to my XT.

Back
Top Bottom