SW Motech Pro Tank Ring for R1300GS

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after doing a quick bit of looking on SW Motech's website, the Pro (magnetic) tank ring for the 1300 is a different part number even though the fuel cap looks identical to the 1250/1200. Looking at the mounting instructions though, the instructions cover all 3 part numbers, the 1200/1250 and the new 1300 so I'm pretty sure it'll transfer straight over if you have one. I can't confirm (yet) though but I'm pretty certain.

I imagine it'll be the same for other tank rings as well.

So after doing a quick bit of looking on SW Motech's website, the Pro (magnetic) tank ring for the 1300 is a different part number even though the fuel cap looks identical to the 1250/1200. Looking at the mounting instructions though, the instructions cover all 3 part numbers, the 1200/1250 and the new 1300 so I'm pretty sure it'll transfer straight over if you have one. I can't confirm (yet) though but I'm pretty certain.

I imagine it'll be the same for other tank rings as well.
It’s a different part number and on back order from sw motech, have one on order due in on 7th December. So assuming there must be some difference as the 1250GS pro ring is in stock ?

It’s a different part number and on back order from sw motech, have one on order due in on 7th December. So assuming there must be some difference as the 1250GS pro ring is in stock ?
I assumed the same, but the tank cap looks identical, and the instructions for the new part number also say they are applicable for the part numbers for both the 1250 and 1200 and show no difference in terms of the parts supplied and instructions to fit.

I assumed the same, but the tank cap looks identical, and the instructions for the new part number also say they are applicable for the part numbers for both the 1250 and 1200 and show no difference in terms of the parts supplied and instructions to fit.

If I had the 1250gs tank ring I would give it a try, but it went with my 1250 when I sold it. So in no rush and will wait for the 1300GS one. Can’t really imagine why they would change the filler cap………but you never know.

If I had the 1250gs tank ring I would give it a try, but it went with my 1250 when I sold it. So in no rush and will wait for the 1300GS one. Can’t really imagine why they would change the filler cap………but you never know.
IMG_6088.jpegIMG_6089.jpeg

So I can confirm the tank ring from the 1200/1250 goes straight on, but I can also confirm that depending on the tank bag you have it might not fit. I've got the Pro City bag and even with it adjusted all the way back the bottom of the front of it rests on the new phone cubby hole and won't lock into place 😢

09743DFA-0278-42D9-8B37-7F9C2C892741_1_102_o.jpeg

E3321E5B-344B-4260-ADE6-1C52A2C76F8B_1_102_o.jpeg

Wonder if the new ring has longer spacers :unsure::unsure: were there ant spares with the original ?

Pretty sure it doesn't, if you open the mounting instructions for the new ring it mentions it also covers the part numbers for the 1250 and 1200, then gives you a single parts list of whats included and it's the same list of individual parts whether you buy for the 1200, 1250 or the 1300. To be sure I downloaded the instructions for the 1250 ring and the list of parts included in the box all have identical lengths/sizes and part numbers as on the one for the 1300.

It's not a major issue, I suspect some of the smaller bags will probably snap on a bit easier than the one I've got.

I put rubber washers under the plate that bolts down to the fuel cap ring, and also on the front two bolts on my micro bag to raise it up above the compartment lid. Side profile doesn't look great, but from normal viewing angles, it doesn't look too bad. Should suffice until an actual adapter is released

jKG9BAi.jpg

UY6rK8H.jpg
TfRMW5y.jpg

Last edited:
I put a rubber the plate that bolts down to the fuel cap ring, and also on the front two bolts on my micro bag to raise it up above the compartment lid. Side profile doesn't look great, but from normal viewing angles, it doesn't look too bad. Should suffice until an actual adapter is released

jKG9BAi.jpg

UY6rK8H.jpg
TfRMW5y.jpg

Nice one! SW Motech clearly believe the ring for the 1300 doesn't need to be modified in any way, I even saw it on the show bike they had at EICMA but I think if enough of us give feedback they'll make a "modified" version of what they currently say is the correct ring.

Nice one! SW Motech clearly believe the ring for the 1300 doesn't need to be modified in any way, I even saw it on the show bike they had at EICMA but I think if enough of us give feedback they'll make a "modified" version of what they currently say is the correct ring.
Has anyone actually fitted the new 1300gs tank ring from motech? I have one on order and it gets delivered on Monday and it is specific to the 1300gs and is a different part number to the 1250gs tank ring.

Has anyone actually fitted the new 1300gs tank ring from motech? I have one on order and it gets delivered on Monday and it is specific to the 1300gs and is a different part number to the 1250gs tank ring.
No, mine is the 1250 ring.

But as I said above, if you look at the parts list for the 1300 ring it is identical to the 1250, every individual part number is the same, same dimensions etc etc. So I'm pretty confident in saying that the rings are identical. The instructions for the 1300 also say they are appilicable to the 1250 and 1200 rings, with the single set of parts across all 3.

I think eventually they'll revise the 1300 part and include longer metal spacers, but thats just an assumption on my part.

No, mine is the 1250 ring.

But as I said above, if you look at the parts list for the 1300 ring it is identical to the 1250, every individual part number is the same, same dimensions etc etc. So I'm pretty confident in saying that the rings are identical. The instructions for the 1300 also say they are appilicable to the 1250 and 1200 rings, with the single set of parts across all 3.

I think eventually they'll revise the 1300 part and include longer metal spacers, but thats just an assumption on my part.
I will let you know when I fit it. I would hope there is a difference as it’s been on back order for a few weeks and I could have bought a 1250 one off the shelf.

I've also emailed them asking them to detail the difference between the 1250 and 1300 ring.

I will let you know when I fit it. I would hope there is a difference as it’s been on back order for a few weeks and I could have bought a 1250 one off the shelf.
If it is different they’ve cocked up on their instructions but I actually hope that’s the case as it’s a bloody tight fit!

I put rubber washers under the plate that bolts down to the fuel cap ring, and also on the front two bolts on my micro bag to raise it up above the compartment lid. Side profile doesn't look great, but from normal viewing angles, it doesn't look too bad. Should suffice until an actual adapter is released

jKG9BAi.jpg

UY6rK8H.jpg
TfRMW5y.jpg
Great solution , but ... those rubbers will give/ move so be careful as the original is designed for a solid mechanical connection not a soft one . Over time this will move and you will be playing catch with your bag and a nut full of fuel...Just saying

Back
Top Bottom