Why are the S10 so cheap

spen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Why do the super teneres not hold their value ,you can buy one cheaper than an old xt660 !! are they that bad a bike ??

I had a 2010 model, bought a year old for under £10k. I think at the time they were £16k new. Way overpriced when new which I think remained a factor for the whole production life.

Then they are just not fashionable so they make an excellent used buy due to that initial depreciation. Especially as they seem to have very good, long term reliability. I only sold mine for a Tracer due to an illness that meant a bike closer to 200kg was necessary.

It's a shame Yamaha no longer make a shaft driven bike for the UK market.

I had a 2010 model, bought a year old for under £10k. I think at the time they were £16k new. Way overpriced when new which I think remained a factor for the whole production life.

Then they are just not fashionable so they make an excellent used buy due to that initial depreciation. Especially as they seem to have very good, long term reliability. I only sold mine for a Tracer due to an illness that meant a bike closer to 200kg was necessary.

It's a shame Yamaha no longer make a shaft driven bike for the UK market.
I've just put a wanted add up for a tracer 900 ,but i noticed on ebay the S10 were great value although a heavy beast , what do you think of the tracer ??

Too heavy, though not as heavy as the Crosstourer, both not trendy, but good bikes nether less , I had 3 Crosstourer's and 1 S10, I'm tending towards much lighter bikes now, though 67 and still relatively healthy, touch wood.

Too heavy, though not as heavy as the Crosstourer, both not trendy, but good bikes nether less , I had 3 Crosstourer's and 1 S10, I'm tending towards much lighter bikes now, though 67 and still relatively healthy, touch wood.
You're after bursting my bubble.........in my eyes....my Crosstourer is very trendy

Sent by an Android

Had both an S10 and 2 Crosstourer’s. The S10 is a fine bike with a characterful engine but I found the Crosstourer a far superior bike with what I feel is one of the finest engines to grace a modern motorcycle.
It makes a brilliant value for money mile munching tourer especially the DCT version. It’s only Achilles heal is it’s weight which made moving it around the garage etc troublesome.
Have to say it’s the only bike I’ve ever owned that I feel I had to part with as opposed to wanting to part with.

I've just put a wanted add up for a tracer 900 ,but i noticed on ebay the S10 were great value although a heavy beast , what do you think of the tracer ??

my Tracer was a very early one bought in 2015. First one to come into stock in Cheltenham. It was a good value bike, cracking engine, cheap suspension. I did some long tours on it after buying a Bagster seat and fitting a Puig screen spoiler. I believe later models have much better suspension but I am no expert. The posher versions with the active suspension are not the bargains of the early models.

In 2016 I bought a new BMW R1200RS and the Tracer went in 2017 as it was not being used much! I still have the R1200RS. You might want to look at the RS as it is a bit like the Super Ten, a bit of a sleeper and early versions like mine can be picked up at attractive prices.

The S10 is probably the most underrated adventure style bike there is. Some say it is heavy, and it is, but no heavier than the GSA and closer to a GS than you may think. It is well finished and known for its bulletproof reliability. Of course, Yamaha screwed up the marketing when it first came out and there were no bikes in the dealers and the bike press scribes didn’t help either. However, with the Gen 2 bikes, some motorcycle press scribes finally started to appreciate just how good the S10 is but by then, it was too late, Yamaha were not going to mod the engine to Euro 5 and that was it. The S10 performs well with a decent turn of speed, very good fuel consumption and it is a nice place to be if you want to tour. If you can find a good one, buy it, you won’t regret it.

Interesting about the Tracer as I really didnt like mine which as one of the early ones. The fulling was horrendous and like riding a wild mule at constant throttle so much I didnt enjoy riding it. Yamaha support was poor to say the least and the rear shock showed rust despite cleaning and looking after every ride. The dash let water and mud in behind the cover . 4 months later I sold it with 1400 miles on it for a GSA

I sold my 2016 last year after being offered a great deal on a 2018 GSA. I still miss the S10, super reliable, really good on fuel, totally planted on the road. It's not under powered until you ride something with a bit go then you notice the difference.

As per Longdogs comment, a very underrated motorcycle.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Interesting about the Tracer as I really didnt like mine which as one of the early ones. The fulling was horrendous and like riding a wild mule at constant throttle so much I didnt enjoy riding it. Yamaha support was poor to say the least and the rear shock showed rust despite cleaning and looking after every ride. The dash let water and mud in behind the cover . 4 months later I sold it with 1400 miles on it for a GSA
I had a 2017 Tracer, the fuelling was fine and with new fork springs, a Hyperpro shock and decent tyres it was excellent. Apart from, like most bikes, the seat and the screen, obviously.

The S10 is a really underrated tourer. Bullet proof reliability and feels like it will just go one for ever.

It won't pull your arms off power wise but it makes very good progress when you wind it up and is fast enough for most.

To me, it's an up to date 1150 on steroids with all the gadgets which is no bad thing.

The S10 is probably the most underrated adventure style bike there is. Some say it is heavy, and it is, but no heavier than the GSA and closer to a GS than you may think. It is well finished and known for its bulletproof reliability. Of course, Yamaha screwed up the marketing when it first came out and there were no bikes in the dealers and the bike press scribes didn’t help either. However, with the Gen 2 bikes, some motorcycle press scribes finally started to appreciate just how good the S10 is but by then, it was too late, Yamaha were not going to mod the engine to Euro 5 and that was it. The S10 performs well with a decent turn of speed, very good fuel consumption and it is a nice place to be if you want to tour. If you can find a good one, buy it, you won’t regret it.
There is no such thing as underated. If its not very rated, its because its not as good as others.

There is no such thing as underated. If its not very rated, its because its not as good as others.

How do you define good? It does everything all the others do but at half the price.

The reason it didn't take off was Yamaha's ridiculous sales strategy when they launched it and the bike press being lukewarm because it wasn't a 150hp wheelie monster out on a "Sunday blast".

Most people who have them, will tell you they are underrated and they surprise many.

Have you ever ridden one?

How do you define good? It does everything all the others do but at half the price.

The reason it didn't take off was Yamaha's ridiculous sales strategy when they launched it and the bike press being lukewarm because it wasn't a 150hp wheelie monster out on a "Sunday blast".

Most people who have them, will tell you they are underrated and they surprise many.

Have you ever ridden one?
The people that oen them use reinforcement for their purchase. They hardly will say, nah it’s shit I have wasted my money. Thats not human nature

You can’t argue with the provenance of the Super Tenere. It just isn’t the best selling bike in the sector. Many many people enjoy owning them and rightly so.
However. I don’t think you can argue that it’s under-rated. It may sell less than the uniquitous GS/GSA but given that both have been around in their various guises for many years, it is simply the case that the BMW has exceeded what marketing alone couldn’t hope to achieve. Just look at that shit drink “Prime”. £2 a can !!😂😂😂 and still the youth buy it. So… marketing works.. to a point ? But when it’s all added up, as long as the folk that buy them, enjoy them, then I say “No harm no foul” and each to their own.
I’d love to ride an Africa Twin, I’d love to ride a Multi-strada, I’d love to ride a lot more bikes… but I made my choice (1250gs) and I’m happy with it. I’m just as glad that you and others are happy with your choice. 👍✌️

Back
Top Bottom