Zumo 390 - Trip Planner - Help!

John
The fact its recalculating means it's not following your route or you are not following the route unless fuckwit means something different in your language I could be proved that I was right! I bet you used to have the biggest dad in the playground, if you found the playground that is.........

John - chill FFS it's just a forum - no one gives a rats arse what you or I think, your years of experience mean jack shit especially if your still getting things wrong. All I know is you keep saying you offer others help - that is help according to Victor Garmin Meldrew, either that or you are an exceptionally nice man with Garmin Turettes.

Rik

Wonder what wonders this "fishing" trip will land me?

Rik, From the tone of your post I think it is you who needs to chill. And that shows in your use of immoderate language.

At risk of a further outburst, I manage to get my device to follow my intended routes without re calculating onto other roads. That is a fact, as is the fact that others manage this too. You stated that this was not possible with auto re calculation on. My experience, which you say "mean jack shit" is that my routes work with auto recalculation on. Do we go for pistols at dawn?

You miss the point that it's not going to recalculate unless you deviate from the route- It will follow the roads you want if you put via points along the route- As I said if it recalculates along a different road you don't have enough via points to tell it which roads you want.

Try it for yourself, one simple route, add via points with Mapsource or Basecamp. Place them just after every turning, you will end up with lots more than you need but the much maligned experience soon teaches where they are actually needed. But for now leave all those via points in, transfer the route to your device and see what happens. If it recalculates now you will find it has no option but to chose the roads you marked. You can also test the theory by making the route in Mapsource and then loading it into Basecamp. Ask Basecamp to recalculate the route and you can test what happens. There does need to be some degree of agreement between the way a route is plotted and the device setting. I am not sure that a route plotted along a motorway would work properly if " Avoid Motorways" was set.

I did point out in my previous reply that I am not saying your way does not work or that mine is better . You might have missed that bit.

Love and Kisses

John

PS I think you meant "you're" not "your"

An electronic marker placed off any recognised road most often becomes a waypoint by default, just as it would out in a featureless ocean, in the shifting sands of the desert or in a dripping green jungle.

You can convert them easily in BaseCamp.

Thanks for that, saved me a whole world of experimenting! I just need to be more careful with the placing of via points. Doesn't Google offer the option to snap the points onto a road? Oh well no such thing as a perfect system.

John

Thanks for that, saved me a whole world of experimenting! I just need to be more careful with the placing of via points. Doesn't Google offer the option to snap the points onto a road? Oh well no such thing as a perfect system.

John

Finished doing the routes around the Harz and down to Schweich. Google can do whatever Google does. Ask someone who uses Tyre; they'll know or at least they should.

Finished doing the routes around the Harz and down to Schweich. Google can do whatever Google does. Ask someone who uses Tyre; they'll know or at least they should.

Actually I know what Google does, Tyre too and itn converter for that matter. I was just making the point that nothing is perfect and there are features on other systems that might be nice to have on the Garmin platforms.

John

Don't worry John I was a bit bored on holiday so needed some excitement for 5 mins. No need to try all the waypoints as you say because I tend to use routing nodes and only waypoints where I need one...

Have you heard Mac users are allergic to Mapsource it makes large detours via the Natural History Museum, I can't seem to stop it doing it for some reason.

I do however think "your" education was somewhat different to mine. ��

With Love

Your biggest fan.

Rik

Don't worry John I was a bit bored on holiday so needed some excitement for 5 mins. No need to try all the waypoints as you say because I tend to use routing nodes and only waypoints where I need one...

Have you heard Mac users are allergic to Mapsource it makes large detours via the Natural History Museum, I can't seem to stop it doing it for some reason.

I do however think "your" education was somewhat different to mine. ��

With Love

Your biggest fan.

Rik

Glad to be of service! But I did say via points not waypoints, which as you say need to be used, like sarcasm,sparingly.

John

I am not sure that a route plotted along a motorway would work properly if " Avoid Motorways" was set.

That's reasonably easy to answer, I think.

Imagine a route that starts on a road one mile from a stretch of motorway. It then ends 30 miles away. Over the thirty mile distance there is a stretch of motorway of say four junctions. There is also parallel, non-motorway roads available between the start and end points, each connected to the junctions.

If the route has no shaping points or waypoints on the motorway, the route offered up should avoid the motorway entirely.

If the route has a waypoint or shaping point on the motorway, the route offered up should avoid the motorway, but bring the rider onto it at some point (to go through the waypoint or shaping point) and then off again.

Quite how it does it might vary according to other qualities set in the device, for instance fastest time versus most direct. It may also be dictated by other 'hidden' variances within the algorithms that make the calculations.

Any device, if required to make a calculation between two or more points, may well vary on the route offered depending on the preferences set and ultimately on the map set in use. I see it a lot with the bods I take away, let's say with four ostensibly identical original routes. Three devices might offer up the same route, one might differ. The reasons why will vary but it's a fair bet that checking the preferences of the one rogue device is a good place to start. The maps in use sometimes have an influence. I should of course start with checking simple operator error but that would be impolite.

Take for example me plotting a route from A to B involving a short stretch of brand new motorway. My friend has older maps, with no motorway on it. His device will, by default, plot a route between the two points that differs to mine; his device cannot route him down an unknown road. His might take in the known roads or might go as far as showing a straight line between the points, all depending on a number of other factors.

That's reasonably easy to answer, I think.

Imagine a route that starts on a road one mile from a stretch of motorway. It then ends 30 miles away. Over the thirty mile distance there is a stretch of motorway of say four junctions. There is also parallel, non-motorway roads available between the start and end points, each connected to the junctions.

If the route has no shaping points or waypoints on the motorway, the route offered up should avoid the motorway entirely.

If the route has a waypoint or shaping point on the motorway, the route offered up should avoid the motorway, but bring the rider onto it at some point (to go through the waypoint or shaping point) and then off again.

Quite how it does it might vary according to other qualities set in the device, for instance fastest time versus most direct. It may also be dictated by other 'hidden' variances within the algorithms that make the calculations.

Any device, if required to make a calculation between two or more points, may well vary on the route offered depending on the preferences set and ultimately on the map set in use. I see it a lot with the bods I take away, let's say with four ostensibly identical original routes. Three devices might offer up the same route, one might differ. The reasons why will vary but it's a fair bet that checking the preferences of the one rogue device is a good place to start. The maps in use sometimes have an influence. I should of course start with checking simple operator error but that would be impolite.

Take for example me plotting a route from A to B involving a short stretch of brand new motorway. My friend has older maps, with no motorway on it. His device will, by default, plot a route between the two points that differs to mine; his device cannot route him down an unknown road. His might take in the known roads or might go as far as showing a straight line between the points, all depending on a number of other factors.

I think you are right about the need to match preferences and about the motorway thing. It might mean having to use more via points to keep the device from routing along the motorway. I do this sometimes anyway when I am on a mixed route. Often when I have bigger distances to cover or want to avoid busy towns I will plot a route that uses a motorway for just part of the journey. So I don't use the "Avoid Motorways" selection and simply put via points along the route to avoid any chance of being directed onto stretches of motorway I don't want to use. The thing is to be flexible, different solutions for different situations.

I also think "operator malfunction" is a common cause of problems for all of us especially with anything to do with computers etc.. I spent the first few weeks with a Garmin in 2003 wanting to throw the bloody thing away. It was only when I accepted that if it did unexpected things that there was a good chance it was just doing what I had told it to do,that I got to grips with and started to understand rather than rant about it We all make mistakes (me as many as anybody) ultimately it is a kindness to point out where somebody has gone wrong. Finding a way to do that can be a challenge!

John

One point to add when routing down a motorway for either a good long run or only a town bypass etc - make sure the maps used are zoomed up to show both sides of the carriageway. If you happen to drop the shaping node or via on the wrong carriageway you will find an irritating " loop " in your route.

Not wanting to sound condescending (for once) if it your first time away abroad good idea to remember we are th odd ones out when it comes to driving on the left.

You are right though even if you had avoid motorways accepted on your device or mapping software if you have dropped a shaping node on the motorway it will take you there - places like Germany that have some access roads and agricultural roads very close to the main carriageway may take you there instead.

I find the best way is to have no avoidances set this way the route will only plot where I want it to go, you have to be careful of some toll roads and you have to plan the Netherlands very carefully because a lot of the old town roads are connected by small car ferries - not a problem and quite quaint at times but very time consuming.

Rik

One point to add when routing....very time consuming.

That's exactly why I prefer to use the avoidances, in the case of all those ferries I can tell the device not to use them simply by ticking "avoid Ferries", this works for auto rail through tunnels too, there were a few of those were I lived in Austria. Look at avoidances as helping you to tell the device where you want or don't want to go. Used wisely and with well plotted routes I find them useful.

John

John

When requoting bods, learn the (not so difficult) art of deleting great screeds of old post. I have done it for you in post #50 on an iPhone so it's not difficult.

Cheers,

Richard

John

When requoting bods, learn the (not so difficult) art of deleting great screeds of old post. I have done it for you in post #50 on an iPhone so it's not difficult.

Cheers,

Richard

I might if you learn not to be so condescending, but if you look back at my post you will see I am quite capable of cutting sections out . I object to your censorship especially as in so doing you have removed those part of the previous post I was answering. Kindly refrain from doing such a thing again.

John

Not great, I find your action pathetic. I believe you have exceeded your brief as moderator in editing a post for no good reason. You could have just made a comment about not quoting previous posts in full but you chose instead to alter my post so that my response makes little sense. As I aid pathetic

John

John

Cheers,

Richard
:potkettle
Ahem..... may I refer Sir to post 37 ;)

Not great, I find your action pathetic.....
Altering posts is always going to be met with disapproval.... but on this occasion I'm sure Richards reasons were not intended to cause offence.

Keep it focused folks.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. The problem initially highlighted is a common one I have found and can be frustrating. One would think Garmin would come up with an option for this. When they release updates , this is something not developed over a month but many thousand of man hours no doubt have gone in the Development. It is a case of using node matrixes amongst other varibles. ( know this as I use to be a programmer, working out lorry routes optimization)
So how to join your pre-planned route but not from the start ?
I think this has been covered in sorts. But I had this exact issue a few weeks ago whilst leaving Bouillon ( Belgium) on a pre-planned route back to Calais. Mrs dxtans had a bad sore throat. So had to make a bee-line to Sedan to the nearest big town. Got her fixed up at the pharmacy. So selected to start my pre-planned route back to Calais. Of course it would route me back to Bouillon to start ( that is where the start of the route began). So brought the route up edited the start ( waypoint) to 'where am i now' and saved it. Then previewed the route. Had a couple of via points turning me back a few miles. So removed those, again reviewed the route all looked good and off I went, no issues. You may have to zoom in when reviewing your route if you have many via points to make sure you remove the right ones.

Thanks
DT

That's how I do it, there may be a better way, but this method works for me

David could you not have just picked an appropriate waypoint off your calais pre planned route and made that a destination in its own right, and hit take me there, and when that point was reached continue with the pre planned calais route,i dont even know if its possible, just asking as i will no doubt be having to sort problems for mates when we go away and more info is always usefull.
Maybe i should refrase it a little, if you had gone to favourites and picked your waypoint off your preplanned route out of there as your destination, in other words started a new route with that waypoint as your destination and then picked up your origional pre planned route from that point. if you get what i mean.

Back
Top Bottom