Engine breaking

Philip

just had the first service at pidcocks notts. i mentioned the variable engine breaking that other people have mentioned on this forum and i have certainly noticed. I was a bit surprised when told that nobody else had mentined this, but they did have a prog to run that altered the fueling. i was apparantly the first person to have this done as they have only just received the software ! Anyway it does seem to have improved matters, although yet to give it a long test. basically the engine breaking seems much more progressive wihout the surging that made me what to use the clutch at low speeds to maintain control. Anybody else got any experience of the update and is there a problem on most bikes anyway?

Ulp

Hope you mean engine 'braking' rather than engine 'breaking'..i/e slowing down rather than going 'pop'. I noticed a huge difference in the ADV once I'd taken off the cat and std pipe and fitted a y-piece along with a Remus can..Braking that is, not breaking.

Re: Ulp

franco said:
Hope you mean engine 'braking' rather than engine 'breaking'..i/e slowing down rather than going 'pop'. I noticed a huge difference in the ADV once I'd taken off the cat and std pipe and fitted a y-piece along with a Remus can..Braking that is, not breaking.

Erh yeah - well lets hope so anyway

Engine braking

Had the new fuelling programme installed on my 1200 3 weeks ago when the bike went in to SLM to have the ravages of "White Van Man" removed. Previously I found that the engine response to fast throttle opening was rapid acceleration which quickly faded requiring the throttle to be partly closed to allow the engine to catch up - worrying at times - clean underpants required ! There was also little response when blipping the throttle on downchanges. New programme has corrected all this, throttle response is now immediate in all cases with the added advantage of lowering the laundry bills ! The acceleration and performance seem far better and the fuel economy has improved by 3-4 mpg. over the 1000 miles travelled in the past 3 weeks . Can't say I have found any difference in the engine braking performance but I do find that the rapid throttle response can be a drawback on rough surfaces making it quite difficult to maintain a constant speed without the engine 'surging'.

Philip said:
just had the first service at pidcocks notts. i mentioned the variable engine breaking that other people have mentioned on this forum and i have certainly noticed. I was a bit surprised when told that nobody else had mentined this, but they did have a prog to run that altered the fueling. .....

Like you I had the first service at Piddies yesterday. They did do a re-program as that's what the test gear told them to do but not too sure this has anything to do with fuelling as it was in response to a fault where the red alert warning light came on with no other lights after starting on very steep hills. The bike cirtainly runs a bit better but I put that down to the valve clearances being adjusted as I could hear them ticking and now I can't. I'm not aware of any surging on engine braking but then after a Jap 4 I'm still getting used to the diffrent feel (it's even beginning to grow on me!)
Cheers JG

I talked about this a couple of months ago in this thread on another board and described it at the time as the "wake surge" effect. Supposedly a fresh mapping of the FI fixes it. If you've ridden a bike with this effect, it's unmistakeable. Cut the throttle at about 3,000 RPM. Let the bike coast down through 2,100 RPM, at which point it "surges" forward as if someone has just added fuel, similar to the "wake" catching up to you when quickly cutting the power on a boat.

I asked both Vines and Motorrad Central if the software update that is automatically installed at service time has a different fuelling map in it. The answer was "no" but by bike also definitely runs better post download with less overrun "wake effect". If the fuelling map isn't different then it could be down to better valve adjustment or breaking in of the engine.

Back
Top Bottom