RT Tyres

peepingtom

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
having just brought myself an 1100RT :D:D and im in need of a set of tyres. top of the list seem to be dunlop roadsmarts ? anyone shine a light on this as mine are seriously square.
im more interested in grip than mileage but ones that last well is a bonus. :beerjug:

tyres

Bridgstone

Its a great tyres and holds shape well when well used and grips like shit.

Dont bother with any other tyre.

GT version on the RT

I have some Pilot Road 2's on my 1150RT. Brilliant grip / handling & they wear pretty good too. I've worn out about two rear's, each one giving about 8,000 miles & will buy the same again in the next month or so.

Buy the cheapest branded tyre you can get. I'm convinced that ANY modern tyre will outperform the ability of the average rider 0n a road. Track riding is a little different of course. If the tyre gives up it's almost certainly the rider at fault.

OO I dunno, Conti Road Attacks give brilliant grip, wet or dry, they are not prone to cupping either, and are well priced also....

Last edited:
EEE, back in the day, (1996) I used to fit Bridgestone BT57's which were like blu-tac then BT54's which were slightly less prone to Punctures. However RTFM about your tyre pressures for the R1100RT, check them regularly. I also check the rear wheel bolts for tightness while I'm down there but that's just my old age and paranoia. There are plenty of good tyres on Market these days, I just find it annoying when I have to change them both at the same time... On the 1100RT some tyres will hop and skip (white-lining) towards the end of their tread life.

having just brought myself an 1100RT :D:D and im in need of a set of tyres. top of the list seem to be dunlop roadsmarts ? anyone shine a light on this as mine are seriously square.
im more interested in grip than mileage but ones that last well is a bonus. :beerjug:

Having tried pretty much them all, at work & play, anything but Bridgestones; Michelin Pilots 1's were good, 2's wore out much quicker. Roadsmarts are good, & are what we use at work, & I like them, but I have just fitted (500 miles) a set of Road Attack 2's on my own 1200RT, & I am very impressed.
Too soon to say how they'll wear, but when my GA needs tyres, which won't be too long, it's Conti's for her.

Currently on Metzeler

I bought a 1200rt about 3 years ago. it came on Michelins.
For the first few months I was convinced there was a front wheel bearing gone. The whine was just like a faulty bearing. Then I noticed it changed with road surfaces. New tyres removed the noise completely. I would not buy Michelins because of it. I have no problems with them otherwise.
Metzelers are fine.

Myke

well thanks for all the recommendations , looks like most of them are good as mentioned above.
ive heard from somewhere else that some michelins are noisy too and i dont like that. i hadnt thought about road attacks , nice looking tyre and seen a pair for £182 . its about £214 for the roadsmarts or £225 for the bt 023's

its quite a saving getting the conti's:)

think ill have a phone around tomorrow to my local tyre shops for fitted prices to loose wheels:thumb

thanks for ALL your comments much appriciated:thumb:beerjug:

I was never entirely happy with the handling of my 1200RT until I fitted the Conti Road Attacks which I found transformed it. Less life but worth it. Important to get the ones with the stiffer sidewall (can't remember the suffix - think it's "R") - the standard tyre is comparatively wallowy.

Of course may be different on an 1100RT. :)

Conti Road Attacks

Hi

Conti Road Attacks :thumb:thumb:thumb

I managed 9000miles out of mine before I changed them..........My comments are the same as the others.

Bigboy
1200RT

I was never entirely happy with the handling of my 1200RT until I fitted the Conti Road Attacks which I found transformed it. Less life but worth it. Important to get the ones with the stiffer sidewall (can't remember the suffix - think it's "R") - the standard tyre is comparatively wallowy.

Of course may be different on an 1100RT. :)

The front one is "C spec", or at least it was with Road Attack 1's.

Have a pair of Pirelli Angels on myne. No problems wind, rain or snow. They reportedly get some decent life, only had myne on around 3k so loads left, hopefully get another 3k out of them.

Buy the cheapest branded tyre you can get. I'm convinced that ANY modern tyre will outperform the ability of the average rider 0n a road. Track riding is a little different of course. If the tyre gives up it's almost certainly the rider at fault.

Totally agree - I think if you're not an aggressive rider then you can get away with pretty much anything. I've used Pirelli / Michelin / Metzeler / Maxxis and to be honest the only difference is that the Maxxis are half the price of the others. Once you get over the stigma of buying them they're every bit as good as the rest.

Totally agree - I think if you're not an aggressive rider then you can get away with pretty much anything. I've used Pirelli / Michelin / Metzeler / Maxxis and to be honest the only difference is that the Maxxis are half the price of the others. Once you get over the stigma of buying them they're every bit as good as the rest.

Got to disagree. They may all hang on well enough but different types feel and handle very differently and some are just a lot more pleasant and/or fun to use than others.

Have been looking for some new rubber, I have not been overly impressed with the Pilot Road 2's, they are OK, but not 60 odd quid better a pair.

So looking at going back to the Contis and notice they do a Conti Road Attack2 now.

Road Attack 2 Website

RoadAttack2_uv.jpg

Even the Conti Road Attack 2's are available at a reasonable £193 delivered....I think that is an excellent price for a set of tyres.....looks like that's what we may try this year

Back
Top Bottom