GS vs GT

Haggerstoner

Mine went in for its 600 mile service today. I borrowed a GT from Vines for the day. I didn't get on with it at all. With apologies to any proud GT owners I have to say that it's got the turning circle of a large sea-going vessel, you have to fight it on low speed corners, it's as wide as a car and weighs a ton. So for my regular jaunt into London it was an absolute pig. On the positive side the engine was very smooth (if lacking in character) and the only time I got any enjoyment from it was acceleration at high speeds. I guess that's the point - it's meant for going fast over long distances ina more-or-less straight line. That said if I wanted a tourer it still would not be on my wish list - for one the seating position puts too much weight on your wrists.

I've always enjoyed trying out other BMW's when I've had my (various) bikes in for service over the past 5 years but this is one bike I will be very happy to give back - I can't wait to get the GS back tomorrow morning and give it a good post run-in blast :D

Had a GT myself and just didn't like it. The long wheelbase forces weigth on the wrists and it felt like a beached whale when trying to navigate mini-roundabouts. Comfy seat seeminly and decent wind protection seemingly, but somehow it doesn't work for me at 6ft 2 or my pillion at 5ft 6.

We took it to see the in-laws in Yorkshire and had enough within 60 miles. Add another 200 and me & my wife and I were no longer on speaking terms such were the aches. The thought of similar miles the next day fille dme with dread.

Last weekend we took the GS on the same trip - not without much prior consideration! It was probably the most blustery gales weekend of the year. Yet we cruised (at the same speed as the GT) in complete comfort, without a single ache and only pleasant conversation heared through the Autocom. We got off the bike and both said 'love it' - we couldn't wait for the equally good ride home the next day; it didn't even rain on us ;-D

Last year I swapped the GT for a MultiStrada. Great handling, lots of fun, but not that well built, uncomfortable over 50 miles and the dealers were not altogether that good really. The GS is like a comfy, well built, MultiStrada; that you know will last far longer, is more practical, lower maint and will be looked after by better dealers.

Regrets? I've had a few..... but not where the GS has been concerned.

CS. I tried a GT and noticed similar traits - all in all, not a goodun that one.

I traded up from a Boxer Cup Replica and would have to say that the GS feels a much sharper tool all round, and considering the "S" is thought by many to be one of the better handling BM's, thats saying something about the GS.

Phil

I've yet to read a review of the GT with a good word to say about it - or met someone who owns one... I really liked the RS I had on loan, but it had the same drawbacks a Blackbird - my licence would last 20 minutes...

Mike:)

I had an R1100S too! :)

Loved that in the U.K. for 50 - 100 mile blats everywhere, and it handled really well - the best of the old boxers for sure in the handling department in my personal opinion.

But when I took it to the Pyrenees two-up with luggage it was quite hard work past 150 -200 miles each day. To be fair, many people haven't had a problem with this, but I found the high mileages gave me a fair bit of backache, even if the rest of me was fairly ok. My mate on a VFR kept saying 'why are we stopping'?

At a later date I owned a Viffer too (non-VTec), but that did for my wrists (full of titanium) every time we got caught up in traffic or following hard to overtake slower vehicles etc.

So basically I wanted something that didn't give me backache or wrist ache and handled and stopped better than the R1100S. So I tried a MultiStrada! That rocked, but the seat felt like a rock within 50 miles, the build was iffy, the clocks had a mind of their own, it's a bit aesthetically challenged from the front and the dealers were only on a par with Jap fair.

In short I wanted a comfy, well built, low-maint, reliable, fun, and practical bike with strong residuals, engaging character and dealers who would gladly help me out with decent loan vehicles, coffee and genuine smiles. Enter R1200GS....

I've had an R1150GS too (yes alright I've spoilt myself - good job someone does!), and although the 12 is 100% new (save for front disks), you can still clearly see the lineage. It still looks like a GS range bike and yet it's much more of a thoroughly modern package, especially in terms of handling and braking.

Anyone reading this that has regularly suffered from either backache, wrist ache, numb bum, poor stopping or handling and wants a fun bike that resolves all this and yet doesn't have bland written all over it, should get a test ride and see what all the fuss is about.

It's cost me a lot of money to whittle my bike choice down to the R1200GS (to be fair they weren't around in previous years!), but some things are well worth the wait - and the R1200GS is one of them :D

Got the good 'ol GS back this morning - made me appreciate even more what a truly marvellous bike it is (gush, gush)

I came to hate mine. I even wrote about how much I came to hate it on my website.

k1200gt.jpg

I hated it so much that I was prepared to drop £4,500 to get shot of it. I traded it on on the 1200GS...

Glad I am not the only one who had difficulty with the GT. Had one for 24 hrs while my GS was being serviced. 23 hrs 59 mins too long. Kept pulling over to check the front tyre - no feel and wouldn't turn - thought it was a flat tyre - nope, tyres pressures spot on.

Vic P.

GT

Piece of shit.

Refuse to ride one as a courtesy bike even, rather take the bus.

YEEECCCH.

Haggerstone,

Yes - see the South East Social Section under General Forums.

The Black Swan (mucky duck) is in Surrey - see the last thread (21st) for directions.

Unfortunately I missed it (packing for a holiday and prep crap) and the next couple are iffy (due to being a cold weather soft southerner), but spring onwards should see a reasonable turn out?

I do speak of hearsay though having not attended one yet having only just got my GS! :)

See you at Box Hill too sometime no doubt :)

I agree with everything Haggerstoner says..
I was loaned a GT for FOUR weeks while my GS12 was awaiting a rear wheel..
It's only redeeming feature was the heated seat...
On getting home from Cromer (140 miles) my wife uttered those never heard before, or since, words "I don't want to get off this bike..."
Talk about hot arsed...

Blimey! Some very similar experiences here!

I had an R1100S, but test rode the 1200GS and found it to be sooooo much better I swapped over.

Yesterday I had the K1200GT as a loaner whilst my GS was in the service bay at Vines. I thought the engine was stonkingly powerful, but an absolutely dreadful ride when it gets a bit twisty. The damned thing didn't want to go round corners. I had to go up the Kings Road (it's London Fashion Week to make matters worse!) and it was a real struggle.

Met a GT owner in the bike bay who seemed happy with his, but he did admit it's all for straight line stuff.

I was so pleased to be back on the GS last night as I was knackered from the GT. :(

Think they give that piece of crap to everyone who borrows a bike for service hoping that it'll get nicked...

Back
Top Bottom