Montana hardwire power options

Istanbulian

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dumb question but how do you configure the Montana so that it can be powered from the bike? As soon as I plug in my power cable the screen just goes to the "USB" diagramme and can't use any of the functionality.

A quick look at the Setup options hasn't left me any wiser:confused:

Only using the official Garmin mounts, that transfer power via touch pins on to the brass pads on the side of the gps unit.
Using the USB will charge the unit but the unit will be in data transfer mode.
I take it you are using a cheap ram mount type and then an auxilary plug to usb type transformer and then a usb cable into the device...... oh well.:comfort

T.

I run mine off a usb cable using a power socket with no problems. Straight from battery though not via canbus electrickery.

Not sure ISTR something like: setup, system, interface choose spanner mode and then it powers from usb or offers the choice. I think you have to swap it back to connect to Basecamp or whatever. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll get it out and try it.

Not sure ISTR something like: setup, system, interface choose spanner mode and then it powers from usb or offers the choice. I think you have to swap it back to connect to Basecamp or whatever. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll get it out and try it.

Well feck my old boots, it does.:thumb2
Have you been able to do this from day one, as i tried everything when I got my early edition of Montana, so I'm wondering if it was 'given' in one of the updates?
The only shitter is that you now have a barrier open allowing water to get in the unit...... exactly the problem powering the GPSMAP62 had, which was the downfall of the 'great' unit.....

Only had it for about 4 months but it has always worked. I think I found the work around on t'internet. :thumb

Only using the official Garmin mounts, that transfer power via touch pins on to the brass pads on the side of the gps unit.
Using the USB will charge the unit but the unit will be in data transfer mode.
I take it you are using a cheap ram mount type and then an auxilary plug to usb type transformer and then a usb cable into the device...... oh well.:comfort

T.

Yep, that's me. Trying to use the old usb cable I had for my previous unit (a GPS62S) with its tiny screen.

Will go and try Walrus's workaround now!

It works

Walrus, you are a star:thumb That works perfectly. The power of t'internet

Sorry for out of focus photo!

DSC_0004_zpsed5d2021.jpg

Rugged mount

How do you connect the rugged mount to the bike? Do you just wire it to the battery? Or does is require some voltage conversion?

How do you connect the rugged mount to the bike? Do you just wire it to the battery? Or does is require some voltage conversion?

The fused red lead can go to a switched live on the bike, or straight to the battery, but be aware that there is a constant power usage by the Montana whilst it's on a mount that is wired directly to the battery, so within 48hrs your battery will not have enough juice to start the bike.

wired mine up the same way as my previous gps, used the Bm power out plug made a patch lead to a generic two pin male plug then re-soldered the female onto the red and black feed from the MARINE rugged mount, used this one as its a quid cheaper than the Amps one and comes with a swivel base(god knows why its cheaper!), bought it from COTSWOLD, used our 15% off and saved more money:thumb

Back
Top Bottom