First-time BMW Owner

bcs_gsa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while. Recently picked up my first BMW, a brand new 2013 R1200 GS Adventure, 90th Jahre edition. Dropping that amount of money on a bike has certainly made me nervous, however I wish I'd done it sooner, probably would have saved money over all. Live and learn I guess.

That boxer motor is an interesting experience so far, especially on a down shift. That said, enjoying it, even if I'm having to stay under the 5k limit. The increases in torque over my old bike is quite noticeable. I've migrated from the Austrian side of the fence and I think for the majority of the type of riding I do this is going to be the better bike. I do also appreciate BMWs attention to detail, and all the electronics and the tank range and fuel economy. Did 200 miles over the weekend, 46MPG and still have 100 in the tank according to the computer. That's astounding.

I have one question, besides this forum, what other clubs or societies are worth joining? Are there any BMW sponsored or related events that are worth partaking in? I certainly have my eye on ORS course for next year.

Anyway, here is photo of the beast.

bmw_gsa_001.png

Hi and welcome to UKGSer. From what I can see in the picture posted, thats a nice looking bike you have there.

It depends really on what you're looking for. We see UKGSer as more of a community than a club and not just contact online. Alot of the members here meet on a regular basis whether at organised events, which are fairly relaxed and offer rideouts for those who want to see more, or to the regular regional meets where folk 'chew the cud' as they say over a drink to biking planned trips away abroad and off-road events. Take your pick :)

The UKGSer Events for 2014 have now been posted and the take up is seriously promising. Plenty members here are already booking ahead and reserving places early so if you see anything that takes your fancy may I suggest you get your name down fairly quick :thumb2

here for the 2014 GS Events listings

Or for something a little more local within your region for rideouts and regular meets

try clicking on here

... and for those who really do wish to push the boundaries for 2014 and want to plan further ahead then please click here

Organised is good but I've personally had some great memorable days out on the bike that have been much more on spec than organised, both on road and off road.

Lots of choices and its a great community with some great like minded folk who enjoy riding as much as you will on your new bike I'm sure.

My tip to you, never be afraid to ask! There is always someone here that would be willing to help, offer advice or point you in the right direction for any information you need and strangely enough it just doesnt always have to be bike related. Take a look around the forum. The beauty of becoming a subscribed member means other areas are now open for you to view and post in and thats when it gets interesting. To get the most out of here, join in and post up.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us. :)

Welcome aboard.
As Duchess said you can go as near/far as you like with some of the bods on here.

I see you live in That London, you'll find plenty of trips into La Belle France for weekends or longer in the Open Invites section.
If you fancy going further afield the world is your oyster.

Most areas also seem to have a monthly get together to stuff their faces with sausage/bacon baps - in my experience these are good get togethers.

There are some really knowledgeable and helpful people on here but do be aware that no matter how technical your question is someone will roll their eyes and ask you how you've managed to get through life with such a basic knowledge of the internal combustion engine - ignore them, someone else will always come along and answer your initial enquiry. Then a different person will come along and contradict them, then there'll be a 4th person telling the 1st 3 the 'right' answer. But you will almost certainly get the help you need eventually after they've all finished verbally abusing you and each other.

It's a great forum, if a little robust. Don't be offended and don't be shy.

I have one question, besides this forum, what other clubs or societies are worth joining? Are there any BMW sponsored or related events that are worth partaking in? I certainly have my eye on ORS course for next year.

UKGSER is a great forum, I spend more time on here than any other, however to answer your question above I would say the "BMW Club" :rob

....thebmwclub.org.uk/

Its the only other BMW releated organisation I pay subs to, has a good range of events and a monthly mag, member discounts, ect

+1 The BMW Club

What part of London are you? London section is more an "Online Community"

Quite a few Londoners head for the Southern Section who meet in Ripley, that is just Sth of J10 M25 1st turn off the A3 every other Tuesday (there is a meet tonight)

Lovely bike by the way, I've been on a new Triple Black since Friday 13th September, it's my 5th Adventure (don't ask :blast)

Ride safe

Phil

Hi,

Thanks to all so far for the replies. I look forward to signing up for some of the events for next year. Probably will avoid any offroad stuff until I've had some training and understand what I need to be doing. :)

Back
Top Bottom