BMW System 5 Helmet

GlynnJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need a new lid and this one looks interesting.

Anybody out there got one, seen one, read an article about one?

GlynnJ

System 5 helmet....

Got a pair on order & Motorrad Central in Glasgow told me today that they are due in on Wednesday.....

The ones I saw & tried on at Intermot last year were finished to a much higher standard than the System 4 Evo that I've been using for the last 3 years......remains to be seen how quiet they are.....

Here's what I've found out so far: http://www.bmwridersscotland.com/bulletinboards/viewtopic.php?t=239

I'll post a report when we've used them for a while.....

Cheers

Dutch

Thanks, guys. I am going to visit Allan Jeffries tomorrow. They cost £280 each and they are in stock. If I am tempted I will let you know how it shapes up.

GlynnJ

Sys 5 Helmet

Bought mine on Tuesday and did 100 odd miles in windy cold but sunny conditions.

Ventialtion flaps excellent.....still mists up a wee bit but that was because of town traffic and the cold weather.

Thought it to be a great and comfortable fit.

A bit alarmed at first cos it was extremely noisy even with ear plugs in BUT I was riding my new 1200 gs for the firts time and have since discovered there are severe noise problems with the standard screen on this bike.

Went out today same conditions but wearing a 6 month old SYs 4 hemet ...same noise problem. Have now ordered a larger screen as recommended by other GS ers on this site.

Hope this helps

Regards

Dan

Sys 5, noise and misting

Thanks, Dan. Helps a lot. I think my current helmet is noisy too but it is supposed to be quiet. I think it's a GS thing. I fitted Tobinators to my Wunderlich screen (1150GS) and it really helps reduce buffeting but doesn't do much for the noise.

I noticed your comment about the vents, did you buy the standard visor or the double-glazed version?

Cheers

GlynnJ

Sys 5

Glynn

I have had four 1150s gs including an
adv. Every one of them had slight wind probs but nothing as disconcerting as my 1200. As far as the visor goes you have got me stumped. I just bought what came out of the box for the usual BM price.

According to the manual it is double glazed with an anti mist film covering the inside layer. Interestingly enough, although I have been riding for a few years, I did not realise that keeping the visor closed on a BM helmet when it is being stored in the helmet bag, destroys the anti mist agent on the inside of the screen.

As a final footnote it is widely accepted that helmets with lflip up chin pieces are generally louder than the conventional ones. I have ridden my GSs with a Schuberth helmet (they actually make the BM lid) and also a conventional helmet. With the schuberth ............no difference to the BM in noise. But with the conventional quite a noticeable difference.

Hope that this is of some help, but it is only my opinion. If you ride a bike you are going to get wind noise. The question is how to reduce it and IMHO experiimenting with a variety of screens on the GS was the answer.

In actual fact on my first GS I took the screen off leaving just the silver plastic screen on and the noise and buffeting was virtually elimunated up to 70mph.

Regards

Dan

Thanks again, Dan.

I visited Allan Jeffries and tried the Sys 5. It didn't work for me - too much like a goldfish bowl. Undoubtedly a nice product with good fit and finish, but not right for me. I think it could have been improved by additional padding around the ears (it felt very empty) but they didn't have any spare pads.

I then tried on the Sport Integral and it felt perfect. I know it is a completely different type of lid and I shouldn't make direct comparisons. But, it felt right, so I bought it. Only £185 too, which was a pleasant surprise.

As soon as I finish fitting my damn spotlights I will be off down the road...

As a final thought on helmet noise, I am absolutely convinced that a major factor is the height dimension of the helmet. In other words, how much helmet continues down beyond your ears. The more the better it seems. I know screen aerodynamics is the overriding factor, but a 'short' helmet seems noisy even without a screen.

Cheers

Glynn

The double glazed visor for my system 4 , is what it says, a proper double skinned visor - i.e. same as double glazed widows.

very cosy too -

so the system 5 isn't quiet , is it quieter than a system 4 ?

Sys 5

Yes it is.

Have just done about 80 miles today with the standard screen in the high and low positions.

I inadvertently discovered that if you close the chin vent it makes a substantial difference i.e a noticeable reduction in noise even with the screen in the position described. You probaly wont need the chin vent open in the summer except when it rains in order to prevent misting up, but then you would probably reduce your speed anyway for safety reasons and the noise will reduce accordingly....This testwas conducted at speeds of 70 - 80 mph on open highways and A roads.

Today was noticeably very calm as opposed to my previous ride of 100 odd miles when it was blowing a gale. See my previous message on this test.

Dan

No. I prefer to have an uninterrupted ride. Had a phone system before and it drove me nuts.

:D

Dan

afir enough...I wouldn't hook up my phone on the bike either but there is supposed to be rider to pillion possibilities ...

Good point. Hadn't thought about that but I have an autocom (cheaper)which does all that and provides a phone link cable which I now don't use anymore.

Dan

Blue tooth thingy isn't available until May. No cost confirmed but the rumour is around 200 notes for a single helmet.

None of the accessories are currently available at my dealer.

Glynn

System 5 is £280, bluetooth is £240 and only silver helmets will come already fitted at the factory. all other colours will be dealer fit, so depending on how long it takes to fit, means close to £600:(

System 5

Hi guys,

Have been looking at the new lid at local dealers as well. Thought it was a nicer shape, compared to the system 4. ( I have the carbon version). £280 for the lid but I'm told it will be something around the same price on top if you want to 'blue tooth' enable it. Bit of a rip off really.:( :(

Back
Top Bottom