Satnav’s, yes or no???

Missing the point , I have researched the routes before and wish to travel that route , not the Sat Nav version .

Yes, this is what I do, either with google maps or bascamp, normally basecamp. I think it depends what app you use and how you set it up.

Nope, doesn’t happen, It did when I tried an off road route so now I just load the track for that.
Maybe it’s me but used the MRA on the phone and it did not go where I wanted as decided to go to a point I knew but not on the phone route , as it was a test route I knew that it had decided to change it as it was not the route I had made .
Found this on a few occasions, so when out taking a tour in say Spain , I only use the GPS as the phone is a get home . Only

Yes, this is what I do, either with google maps or bascamp, normally basecamp. I think it depends what app you use and how you set it up.
Never found the “do not recalculate “ option yet on the phone tho . Tried a few phone options .

034d7e39ee19b3db02b93f9b90a2e22a.jpg

This gives me the option

On the Garmin I have found ( by experience) that one tour of 8 riders the last chap took a wrong turn , so I had to find him , all 7 of us playing catch up , we found him , I zoomed back out via the wonder wheel , found the original and detailed route and rejoined it without the re route. Great day and went to the good roads , no short cuts just up get to B

034d7e39ee19b3db02b93f9b90a2e22a.jpg

This gives me the option
Fair enough , but that would be to the next or last point on the gpx route , or the a to b via the re calculation out of interest what app is that , maybe things have moved on a bit , worth a try as a back up 👍

Missing the point , I have researched the routes before and wish to travel that route , not the Sat Nav version .
Thats exactly what I have done with my trip to Bosnia....Google maps has a planning tool called my maps
Go on your Google maps on your PC

Saved/maps
Yours will be empty so just hit My Maps then you will see a big button that says CREATE A NEW MAP and hey presto you can now plan routes and then bring them into Google maps/send to phone or export

It doesn't just do routes people have created Campervan location or water filling points or all the pub locations in the UK or even all the Macdonalds in Europe (free wifi)

People use it for all sorts not just routes, that is just one of the things it can do.

It’s a bit cleverer than that as your original route stays on the map for you to navigate back to if you want. The list of options are much more than that.

Maybe it’s me but used the MRA on the phone and it did not go where I wanted as decided to go to a point I knew but not on the phone route , as it was a test route I knew that it had decided to change it as it was not the route I had made .
Found this on a few occasions, so when out taking a tour in say Spain , I only use the GPS as the phone is a get home . Only
Because Google Maps is default set to 'calculate by the fastest route' there are other options.

I have a Zumo. I was suckered into buying it as it being the best thing since Mercator's projection. What they forget to tell you is it is incredibly complicated to work. If you are used to using screen operated stuff it is probably easier. I have tried and tried to learn how to use mine, I have even ridden over to meet a chap who tried to go through it with me. I have still not progressed beyond being able to put in a place name or postcode. Wapping gave me instructions on how to put in a second postcode (thanks Wapping) - I wrote these down so I can refer to them each time. I can do it then. The actual accuracy of the direction is very good, but I haven't got rid of my maps or stopped writing route notes for the window of my tankbag. But then, I can barely work my mobile phone either - because I am not that way wired to remember how it all works.

359391257_10223463061596683_227051455973693906_n.jpg358729664_10223463049876390_7994346440066053112_n.jpg

I’m a Satnav fan. Been using Garmin for years, through 550, 660, Nav6 to current XT.

The first 3 used the OEM mount happily, but I swapped out old mount for new XT mount easily.
I don’t have a jog wheel.

I like the functionality and robustness of an Satnav device over a phone so won’t consider a phone On a bike.

I also just like planning on Basecamp for annual Euro trip.

I have a Zumo. I was suckered into buying it as it being the best thing since Mercator's projection. What they forget to tell you is it is incredibly complicated to work. If you are used to using screen operated stuff it is probably easier. I have tried and tried to learn how to use mine, I have even ridden over to meet a chap who tried to go through it with me. I have still not progressed beyond being able to put in a place name or postcode. Wapping gave me instructions on how to put in a second postcode (thanks Wapping) - I wrote these down so I can refer to them each time. I can do it then. The actual accuracy of the direction is very good, but I haven't got rid of my maps or stopped writing route notes for the window of my tankbag. But then, I can barely work my mobile phone either - because I am not that way wired to remember how it all works.

View attachment 295298View attachment 295299

That’s still a great way of navigating

Scenic, is iOS only at the moment
Thanks , does that mean it’s use only on a phone ? I plan routes using the following as it’s a bit of a hobby for me and I like to explore so I use base camp as the planner but on a second computer screen I use MRA , google etc to explore the area , road surfaces , corners , better road choices , towns etc . I also always have regional maps as a reference as that’s how my touring started. Best thing anbout either methods phone or gps is that is so much easier and allows us to travel longer and with more help . Still carry maps tho as old habits die hard.👍👍 I only ride for pleasure so a sat nav on the go is no use to me , well unless I’m in a rush

Thanks , does that mean it’s use only on a phone ? I plan routes using the following as it’s a bit of a hobby for me and I like to explore so I use base camp as the planner but on a second computer screen I use MRA , google etc to explore the area , road surfaces , corners , better road choices , towns etc . I also always have regional maps as a reference as that’s how my touring started. Best thing anbout either methods phone or gps is that is so much easier and allows us to travel longer and with more help . Still carry maps tho as old habits die hard. I only ride for pleasure so a sat nav on the go is no use to me , well unless I’m in a rush

No not at all, you can drag any gpx file in, there is a website which is linked to your phone, where you can copy the URL off a route you made in google and send that straight to your phone. Or just open a gpx file you made in basecamp or any other routing software. Also it works totally offline if you prefer, plus the maps are stored in there cloud somehow so you just download the countries you want, you can plot routes on the phone with as many waypoints etc as you want if that is your bag. It’s also WunderLINQ compatible so you can control it with the wheel.

No not at all, you can drag any gpx file in, there is a website which is linked to your phone, where you can copy the URL off a route you made in google and send that straight to your phone. Or just open a gpx file you made in basecamp or any other routing software. Also it works totally offline if you prefer, plus the maps are stored in there cloud somehow so you just download the countries you want, you can plot routes on the phone with as many waypoints etc as you want if that is your bag. It’s also WunderLINQ compatible so you can control it with the wheel.
Thanks , I will investigate and apriciate the post. Have you a link to the actual Scenic , so I get the correct one . (y) How do you control it with the wheel , do you need an addition cradle ? Have quad loch for the charging and the back up of the phone.

Need WunderLINQ module to control it. Just search scenic on the App Store, can’t miss it as it is black with a white waypoint logo

I think I would have stayed with my nav 6 if it hadn’t been so problematic. The two things that caused the issues for me was obviously the ghosting issues I had with the first generation ones and the Make life a ride ones so that was a huge problem.
The other issue was the poor connectivity with phone and headset, tried both Sena and cardo and it was hit or miss whether the phone call came to the headset regardless of how I paired it, and I tried all combinations. The thing is a like the wheel. The phone option for me was only possible with the WunderLINQ, so I can control the navigation, the music, and lots of other things without taking my hands off the bars. It always connects as there is only one connection, I rarely dial out when riding and if you set your phone up correctly you can take the call without losing the screen with the map on.
For me it works.

Back
Top Bottom