Satnav’s, yes or no???

Primarily it is whatever is best for you. I like my Garmin 660 where I use My Route app but also I download the GPX file onto BMW connected and keep my phone in my pocket. Then I get the best of both worlds. On the GPS a bigger picture of where we are on the journey and on the BMW TFT screen very good detail for turns and rbouts. If I had to choose just one it would have to be the GPS because it is more rugged than a phone and the screen size is more suitable on a GPS. A new GPS is cheaper than a new Samsung.

I now have both, iPhone using scenic and a Montana 600. For road use scenic is the best app I’ve found, now in the latest version there is speed camera’s and live traffic. Lots of routing options and the ability to plot your own route, plus import and export of gpx and other files. Plus you can plot a route on google maps if you prefer and send it straight to your phone with no need to faff about converting files.
I use the Montana for off road tracking when rallying and routing for general off road riding using OS mapping. Also has city nav as a back up if needed. For me this is the perfect set up.

I've just ordered the Chigee AIO-5 Lite. That way I'll be able to use any sat nav app that's available on CarPlay. Most likely MyRoute-App. Due for shipping early March so can't comment on it just yet, but going by the Youtube vids, seems to look good. Ordered the BMW - CGRC Remote Control CAN and the nav bar mount too.

Back
Top Bottom