What tyres are you 690 boys uing ??

Adventure Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Replaced my tyres the day the new bike arrived with a pair of Michelin AC10s they are the tits off road but total shite on any dampness at all and its wheel spinning all over the place tried the pressures but to be honest there's no difference

just wondering if there's a better allround tyre

Well they are the last tyres I would have put on a 150kg 70bhp bike:blast

Pirelli MT21, up front and Mitas or Mefo Explorer or rear

My current favorite combination is MT 21 front and Mitas E 09 (dakar) rear. Dakar is harder wearing but not as good on wet tarmac, maybe.

Must admit my favourite tyre combo is MT21 front and TKC80 Rear but I had the AC10s on a brand new Honda XR650 and they were really good on road and simply excellent Off so thought they would have been fine on the KTM !!
Ill give them another couple of outings to make sure mind you the way this thing wheelies im sure the back will be worn out quite soon LOL

Michelin starcross on the front Although not really for highway use but handle great on and off road in all conditions. (Or a maxis intermediate)
Maxis intermediate on the rear also faultless on and off road.
Have had 2000 - 3000 miles from a rear and more from the fronts. Obviously depends on how you ride and how much tarmac.

I used them to ride down through france from Caen, across the Pyrenees and down to Altea in Spain doing a mix of lanes and tarmac but mostly tarmac. Did 4 days riding around the tracks around Altea and the tarmac all the way back.

Been using this combination now for the last 6 years now.

For more dual sport use I use Mitas EO7 rear with the Michelin Starcross front.

I also use the Extra Heavy duty Maxis tubes and lube the inside of the tyre with moouse lube. I don't use rim locks and I run the pressures at about 20psi front and rear give or take 2psi either way.

Michelin Comp 6 front and rear with Michelin Desert Mousse, unfortunately you'll only get 500 miles out of the rear. If your looking for something that lasts longer I also run Michelin Deserts, they are surprisingly good in the mud and good for 2K miles - :D

Horses-for-courses, where are you riding the bike, and on what?
Avoid mousses, they over heat on road sections and get a bit messy when they fail. I've had to bail a few riders out with failed mousses, front and rears.
Good quality 4mm inner tubes are what I use.
Mitas C-17 Dakar (90/90-21) front and E-09 (130/80-18) rear have given good results.

thanks guys that's given me some research to do
id use the Tkc80 on the rear as they only really bog down on heavy mud but that's never really been a problem but it just seems a waste of an 18" rear wheel LOL

I've just bought a set of tyres to change away from the original Metzeler Sahara 3's. Not even going to try to do any green lanes with them on.
Decided on a Pirelli MT21 Rallycross 90/90-21 and a Dunlop D908 Rally raid 140/80-18.
£153 for the pair from Tyreleader.
I'm going to fit them along with a set of Tubliss rim locks.
Will see what they are like in due course.

Michelin Comp 6 front and rear with Michelin Desert Mousse, unfortunately you'll only get 500 miles out of the rear. If your looking for something that lasts longer I also run Michelin Deserts, they are surprisingly good in the mud and good for 2K miles - :D

Using the same tyres on my Dakar with uhd tubes. :eek: They're awesome but don't last long!

Back
Top Bottom