Bustafin

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not bought one yet but after a kindly old gentle man knocked me off my tiger last summer :rolleyes: and hopefully the insurance paying out shortly:) i'll be on the lookout for a 1150GS, I've been humming and hawing over what to replace it with and after looking at Xl1000 /xrv750/dl100, I've come to the BMW 1150GS, having read the "go on you know you want one" thread,its convinced me, so look forward to reading all the threads and getting to knew A BMW.

Welcome and enjoy!
A good time to be starting to look for a bike, still have fond memories of my 1150 - suggest you buy the newest you can find, less important is the mileage as they are a tough old boot.
And enjoy all the threads on here! :D
Brian

Hi buddy welcome to the madhouse, great place for info and help, ignore the BS and hey 1150 proper motorbike....

I made the switch to a GS 1150 five years ago from a sports bike!

Best decision I ever made!

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

I'm having an 1150 built. Moving from a 1200. You can see the progress in the Project Bike thread in the Oilhead section.

Welcome to the site. Keith will be along soon too.

Greetings & welcome to the forum....enjoy your bike shopping :D

BOOM.....project 1150 :bow:thumby::bow:thumby:

I'm having an 1150 built. Moving from a 1200. You can see the progress in the Project Bike thread in the Oilhead section.

Welcome to the site. Keith will be along soon too.

thanks for the welcome

Thats quite a transformation, looks like a lot of work/time and effort, is there much difference between the 1200 & 1150 other than the obvious power, and looks? seem you can pick up a 1200 for the same price of a decent 1150.

The 1200 GS is lighter and more powerful by quite a bit. So technically it's a better bike.....There are mixed opinions on which is the best to ride and own.

There are no shortage of constituents for either camp. The general consensus seems to be the 1150 has more character and is nicer to ride.

The 1150gsa is the better bike than the GS apart from the increased ride height and shorter 6th gear.

Either way.

I recommend getting an xied or booster plug to enrichen the mixture the 1150 runs quite lean. Ditch the end can and cat inlieu of a y pipe and aftermarket end can and you can say goodbye to a fair bit of weight. The ecu will automatically corrects itself to suit the exhaust mods. The bike runs nicer with a richer mixture. I personally would avoid the chip John sells on here I don't think they work in the long term as the ecu reverts the fuelling.

cheers blueranger,
will keep this in mind, i'm hoping to have a budget around the £3500 mark give or take,so hopefully pick something up. I've always changed the end cans from standard, whats the best make?

I've gone for Remus under advisement. Y piece and silencer. Although why it's called a silencer I'll never know. There's nothing silent about it.

You should find a nice 1150 for that money. Why not put a wanted notice in the 'GS For Sale or Wanted' section. You never know what people are thinking of selling.

I had a beowulf can on my gs, but there is a Remus on the gsa and the Remus sounds much, much better. There is a tunnel near work through which I purposely enter slowly just so I can accelerate....Childish I know and the ped's probably think I'm a right twat but it starts the day off with a smile.

Likewise,

I'm now back in Blighty and looking.

The 1150 may be unsuitabe for me given that its a tad heavy compared to the 1200,

And may be beyond my hobbit abilitys to get it upright from the side stand. Let alone toes down lol .. (think ewok on a land speeder :) )

I know i can get my toes/ semi flat foot on the deck with the 1200, GS & RT but need to get the seat on the lowest setting.

The ABS / Servo is the other thing i know can be a problem, with 2007 onwards being a better option.

(That said there do apear to be some 2005 bikes out there either without ABS or it has been removed...Although i didnt think this was possible )

Good luck with your hunt, we need to compare pics once we are sorted ..

mart

Likewise,

I'm now back in Blighty and looking.

The 1150 may be unsuitabe for me given that its a tad heavy compared to the 1200,

And may be beyond my hobbit abilitys to get it upright from the side stand. Let alone toes down lol .. (think ewok on a land speeder :) )

I know i can get my toes/ semi flat foot on the deck with the 1200, GS & RT but need to get the seat on the lowest setting.

The ABS / Servo is the other thing i know can be a problem, with 2007 onwards being a better option.

(That said there do apear to be some 2005 bikes out there either without ABS or it has been removed...Although i didnt think this was possible )

Good luck with your hunt, we need to compare pics once we are sorted ..

mart

cheers Mart

i had thought of a 1200 but i like the simplicity of the 1150 (plus a like the purposeful looks of the 1150) i do know a friend who used to have a 1150 and he was a bit shorter than me (i'm about 5' 10 in my socks) could still be a possibility i am sure there will be someone on here who could advise

Will defo put up some pic's when i find one, hoping the the guy's Insurance will pay out soon as they've been dragging there heel for the last 5 months (Hoping the threat of court action will get them moving a bit faster)

Good luck with your Hunt also

Dont forget the 1150GS has a two level seat.
I'm 5'10 in a regular length trouser and could easily put two feet flat on the floor when it was on the lower setting.
Blue and White is always the best choice the 1150GS, anyone who says otherwise has no taste.

Back
Top Bottom