TT or 2610 (Real world advice)

Skip

Hi people,

Need some real world advice.

I have a Garmin “V”, very good unit, not so good at keeping signal with satellite’s at times, eg near buildings, trees.

Thinking of buying Garmin 2610 because you can fit all Europe on it, and you can program in routes via PC.

Question:- Does the 2610 have problems keeping signal with satellite’s.

Thinking of buying the TT, general lay out is good, I know they keep signal with satellites well. But unfortunately you can not program in routes via PC. Does not come with car mount.

Let me know what you all think, if I’ve made a statement which is incorrect please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.
Skip

Hi Skip,

I have a 2610 and a V, so I can compare. The V is better at keeping sats than the 2610. I have fitted an external antenna under the beak of my GSa to improve things and that does help. I would say they are about the same now, reception-wise.

Garmin is bringing out units with new antenna SiRF chipsets right now. Those are MUCH better so if good reception in urban or real jungle is very important to you, it will pay to wait.

If I put a Garmin nüvi on my desk inside the house, I get up to 6 satellites!
The nüvi is a car unit (not waterproof) with the SiRF technology.

Otherwise, the 2610 is a great unit.

Cheers,
Michel

I have a 2610 and a V, so I can compare. The V is better at keeping sats than the 2610.
I had the same V (until I sold it to Michel) and then got a 2610. One of the few disapointments of the 2610 is it definately looses the signal more than the V did. I have got an external ariel for the 2610, where I never bothered for the V.

Thanks

Hi Gents,

I’m glad I asked the question; I will defiantly hold off buying the 2610 until it gets that “High-sensitivity integrated GPS receiver by SiRF”. The main issue that worried me was, the 2610 did not have good signal strength.

I have a Tom Tom in my car and it has excellent signal strength even in the heart of London and that is what I’m looking for.

Thanks again gents.
Skip

I also went from a V to a 2610 some 24 months ago. Mine holds sats as well or better than the V. :thumb

Skip said:
Hi Gents,

I’m glad I asked the question; I will defiantly hold off buying the 2610 until it gets that “High-sensitivity integrated GPS receiver by SiRF”. The main issue that worried me was, the 2610 did not have good signal strength.
Skip
Is this on the roadmap for Garmin?

I would be astonished if the 2610 was worse than the V for signal strength. Garmin don't go backwards; there's years of development between the 2 units.

Skip said:
Serious question, but is this an issue? Only asking as I have a 2610 and have been using it at every opportunity (in towns, cities and open country) over the last month to get used to it, and so far I haven't lost signal once. Perhaps I've just been lucky. :nenau

I’m probably being over cautious, but the way I see it, if you’re going to pay £500 for anything, it should be as good or better then the competition; when looking at pricing backets.

I’ve been trying to find out if Garmin will be releasing the 2610 with this new “SiRFGPS receiver”, but have had no luck so far.

I’ll keep you all posted.

Doubt that they will add anything to an older product. I would assume that the 2720 is slowly replacing it. In the US 2610's are available for as low as $550 and going down monthly.

Back
Top Bottom