Alps 2009 - let's do it

Having toured the Alps in Sept 07 and 08, here are a few tips.

We went on 7th in 07 and the weather was perfect, this year we went on the 19th and had rain, low temperature, frosts and snow.[although the weather was generally fine in the valleys].

Guest house/ hotel rates vary from 29e in a deserted Austrian ski villiage to 160 e in Best western in Montreux, but generally around 45-50e will get you a twin bed room in the ski villages who appreciate the custom out of season.

If your doing the RGDA, the tourist offices have a free info sheet [and map] which recomends accomodations for bikers on the route and indicate if the guest house has a garage for your bike.

Good luck with your plans, I will watch your post with interest, just in case I can get a pass out for another holiday. :beerjug::beerjug:

Having toured the Alps in Sept 07 and 08, here are a few tips.

We went on 7th in 07 and the weather was perfect, this year we went on the 19th and had rain, low temperature, frosts and snow.[although the weather was generally fine in the valleys].
I think it's just the luck of the draw. We went 4th-11th August and it was baking hot except for 1 afternoon where we had fog, rain and hail all within an hour. A friend did a similar trip 20th-27th September and didn't see so much as a shower.

do you mean 09 date looks good its the sbk at nurburgring the week before will need some 4**** after camping

I did the trip in August and it was bloody hot - up to 34C in Italy. Would suggest July or September might be a tad cooler.

Yep , good idea!, i did luzern- Susstenpass, Furka etc in June- it was monster hot in the valleys! (36c at one point!)

moto

been there done that..

try this...

www.vivaldi.at

cheap hotels, comfy accom, secure bike workshop, the hotel owners are a blast too. totally recommended.
we stayed in "See", in austria, access to all the passes, they say stelvio is the best, not so, try the fluellapass, and the offenpass, much better and faster. all the best PAul.
ps i have piccys of the hotel if you want to see.think it was around 30 euros a night.

Here are a few real prices for hotels in St Moritz. This is likely to be one of the pricier destinations. I've picked an arrival date of 14th Sept '09 leaving next day.

St Moritz Single Room/Double Room Prices
Kempinski Grand Hotel ***** 302/563 CHF (no breakfast)
La Margna Swiss Quality Hotel **** 153/275 CHF (inc breakfast)
Hauser Swiss Quality Hotel *** 102/203 CHF (inc breakfast)

By way of comparison this is what you would pay in Davos

Davos Single Room/Double Room Prices
Steigenberger Belvédère Hotel ***** 165/330 CHF (inc breakfast)
Central Swiss Quality Sporthotel **** 125/214 CHF (inc breakfast)
Best Western Hotel Bahnhof Terminus *** 113/196 CHF (no breakfast)

Most but not all of the overnight stops are likely to be in the more affordable destinations. On that basis I think 4* is a reasonable standard to aim for. Of critical importance though is the availability of good wine and beer :beerjug:

i know all the hotels above in Davos and TBH there are loads of 2 and 3* hotels that are perfectly adequate - all depends what you want, personally I dont see any need to stay in a 4* hotel for a bike tour. For davos we stayed in the alte post near the train station, its fine to sleep in but bit basic - great restaurant tho, but also stayed in hotel strela which was fine too

Magnum,

The trouble with organising such a trip is that you will never satisfy everybody.

Accommodation will be the sticking point,as already starting to show.

Reading some trip reports in the past,some people's main aim is to find the cheapest room available and then find the nearest restaurant that serves up a bland pizza or egg and chips !!

Some people are happy to slum it in €30 per night motels and others want more comfort.

I would suggest planning the route,telling people where the overnights will be and let individuals book their own accommodation.

That way,there will be no comeback about prices being too high or alternatively finding that a hotel is a dump because it was cheap.

Just a thought.

I think this is a common issue when organising trips. Everyone has a different idea of value and some have deeper pockets than others. I'm of the opinion that after a hard day's riding I want a decent room, good food and good company. I don't have any inclination at all to stay in very basic hotels - I did enough of that 25 years ago. I'm 46 and as a previous poster said this is a holiday after all. Some 3* hotels are quite acceptable but then again I wouldn't park my bike in others.

I think it's fair to say this will not be a budget trip, but I also don't think it will cost a fortune either. If £65 a night inc breakfast is too much for such an amazing riding experience in one of the most beautiful countries in the world then you must squeak when you walk :D

Cheers :beerjug:

I would suggest planning the route,telling people where the overnights will be and let individuals book their own accommodation.

That way,there will be no comeback about prices being too high or alternatively finding that a hotel is a dump because it was cheap.
Good plan. Or at least have a choice of accommodation - cheap or more luxurious. We could still all meet up for dinner and drinks every night :thumb2

Good plan. Or at least have a choice of accommodation - cheap or more luxurious. We could still all meet up for dinner and drinks every night :thumb2

I'm on your wavelength re accom.No budget hovels and no sharing with some fat cnut who snores !

And no spam and chips 6 night's running !

Pigging out on local cuisine/booze is fab after a day on the bike

Yerse...Swiss ain't bad, just sooooo expensive generally.

I'm of a certain age, too, (just 46 lol :rob) so whilst I don't have bottomless pockets, £55 quid (or whatever) a night ain't too bad for me, personally speaking. So long as it includes a complimentary t*t w*nk :hide

However, I draw the line at 'Hide the Toblerone'.

At the end of the day, it's a game of 2 halves, and whether it's 6 of one or half a dozen of another, you can't please all of the people all the time with 2 birds in the bush.:eek:

I'm with Arsey, in that the route and accommodation should be planned, and if others can't afford it (or don't want to), maybe they can source their own accommodation, with us all meeting up for canapes and Martinis???

I'm still working things out, and I know someone else that might want to join in, so I may end up falling into that category!

Just my two pennorth, and a note of thanks for even trying to arrange this (even if I don't end up actually joining y'all) :thumb

Nurse!!!

JB

PS - Magnum - are you anywhere near Geneva? I'm there on business in February 09, if you fancied a pint?

PS - Magnum - are you anywhere near Geneva? I'm there on business in February 09, if you fancied a pint?
I'm not that far away. Give us a shout nearer the time, 'specially if you're buying :D

Back
Top Bottom