Maps - any recommendation

Deleted Member I

About to goto Garmisch next week. Just wondered if anyone has any recommendation for maps. (brand & specific map suggestions welcome)

Got the Michelin one for the whole of France, which is pretty good. Is there an equivalent for Germany?

How about those Tuff Maps or equivalents? Saw them in Gericke but thought it was a bit small (to read and to plan route).

Any ideas how to find a shop with a good range of maps? Got my michelin ones from CW Motorcyles when I was down that way last year. Not seen another shop with as much choice as they had. Any ideas for London/Slough way?

Thanks in advance,
T.

I think michelin maps are the best especially the yellow local range they have for france, but the orange regional ones are also great.

if you are travelling around the alpine area you might also want to look at the Hallwag "alpine Countries" map - especially useful for planning as you have everything on one map. Its not very big scale 1:700 000, but more that good enough to get the big picture.

Mine doesn´t seem to have a product number, but does show www.swisstravelcenter.com

enjoy your trip!

bob

Call CW and get them put in the post?

For Germany, I use the Michelin Regional Series. Orange covers, numbered from 500.

Waterstones usually have the entire Michelin 500 range.

For route planning I use an A4 book which slots into the tank bag. It's getting on a bit now, published by Phillips. Unfortunately, the replacement comes in A3 spiral bound.

In France, I use the Yellow Michelin series.

Both yellow & orange types fold so that a decent view is visible in the map pocket of my tank bag. It's worked for me over the last decade that I have no intentions going the electronic route.

Just use Michelin for all of Europe......................forget the rest......... their scale and definition......... doesn't come close.

Michelin cover all of Europe (East and West) .....all of Med including Islands and North Africa.......

Use 1:10 for route planning for whole countries

Use 1:4 or less for exploring a specific area

Plus being paper maps ................they're easy to fold into Tank bags/Map covers and are light and easy to store in bike luggage.

Have a great time in Garmisch.............we're in the area the week after the BMW meet

In Germany you can buy Die Generalkarte, 1:200.000

I use those mostly when i'm over there for detailed views.

I have a waterproof map of whole of germany 1:700.000 wich is perfect for traveling through. Also has Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg on it. But i think it is't available anymore

gr. Prul

routes

I've found it handy to plan a route before hand then write the main roads onto a sheet of A4, put it into a plastic see-through document holder and wrap it round the foam bumper on the handlebars. Sellotape the holder onto the foan and turn it as you go. Have the map in a map holder on the tank as well and Robert is your sister's brother!

I've found that Tuff Maps do not have anywhere enough detail on them!

Quite disapointing!:confused:

Cheers!

Thanks for all you advice. Went to CW and got some Michelin maps.

So I hope I won't get lost this weekend :confused:

T.

Totally agree about the Tuff Maps. When you get lost they're often no use, which for a map is something of a dealbreaker.

Back
Top Bottom