Scam?

davegs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This morning I gaot a phone call, no one there for a couple of seconds and then some indian woman came on. "We have found you have problems with your computers windows" (not been on today at all) "can you go to your computer so we can help you", I said who are you phoning from and she said "windows". No mention of microsoft, so I told her I was on apple and put the phone down, no number tracable of course. I assume this was an attempt to get my account details, anyone else has this happen?.
Dave GS (in a good mood so did not just tell her to piss off!)

This morning I gaot a phone call, no one there for a couple of seconds and then some indian woman came on. "We have found you have problems with your computers windows" (not been on today at all) "can you go to your computer so we can help you", I said who are you phoning from and she said "windows". No mention of microsoft, so I told her I was on apple and put the phone down, no number tracable of course. I assume this was an attempt to get my account details, anyone else has this happen?.
Dave GS (in a good mood so did not just tell her to piss off!)

Yes it happened at my house also, unfortunately I was not there and My family who know nothing did a few manipulations, rang me on my mobile, and that was the end of that.... I rolled back to a previous days saved config, and have had no problems.

I have been told that my family are stoopid, my reply is simple, I am delighted that my kids don't spend their lives on computers and have no inkling to do so...

Get them about once a week and there are two modes of operation -
1. Get you to log onto a remote operating program to give them access to your computer then nick your activation code and anything else they can grab.
2. Insist you buy their softwear which has cost some people hundreds of pounds.

My calls started the day after I called BT Broadband help in Bangalore - BT UK said it was just coincidence.

Last time I had one of these I managed to keep them on the phone for about half an hour, I just kept acting dumb (doesn't take much)...... gave them 10 out of 10 for perseverance though :D

I was at my Mum's house a few weeks ago when she got one of these calls. After overhearing a few questions I motioned to her to give the phone, and cover her ears. :D
Mark

Depending on whether I am busy or not I either tell them straight away that they are a scam or just wind them up for ages.

Last time was my best wind up as they said something about Microsoft security and I then said that I actually was the UK Manager of Microsoft Security and we had been inundated with complaints about bogus scam calls and had devised a special telephone deliverable virus for our customers. I said that within the first 10 seconds of his call, the virus transmission had been instigated and by now his whole company computer and telecomunications system had been infected. I said as we speak we have now located all your systems and physical locations and that we would now be going into the next phases. I said expect a knock on the door very soon, or maybe they will just ram the door in. He really did sound quite worried about the whole thing and became very apologetic. I finished by wishing him a nice day, what he had left of it. Funnily enough I haven't had any more calls from them :D

We got a similar call but their no.came up Gamon a small co.in Africa JJH

Last time I played for a while but got bored and put the phone down. He had the cheek to ring back and say some extremely unpleasant things that he intended to do to particular members of my family. Mind you I did have to explain how f**k is pronounced in this country.

Love playing with these characters.
I play really dumb for ages before telling them I don't own a computer. Usually results in the phone being put down.:D

Unless I'm bored, I usually tell them that I don't own a computer. Gone in 10 seconds.

I have let them go on for ages before telling them I have a Mac.

I even talked one of them into apologising for trying to scam me and to try and get a better job where he wasn't taking advantage of people.

He even asked if he could phone me when he got home for careers advice. I declined!

keep them on the line just telling them im turning all of them on then tell them i cant find my daughters laptop tell them im going to look for it and leave the phone on the table picking it up every 5>10 minutes to tell them im still looking

Depending on whether I am busy or not I either tell them straight away that they are a scam or just wind them up for ages.

Last time was my best wind up as they said something about Microsoft security and I then said that I actually was the UK Manager of Microsoft Security and we had been inundated with complaints about bogus scam calls and had devised a special telephone deliverable virus for our customers. I said that within the first 10 seconds of his call, the virus transmission had been instigated and by now his whole company computer and telecomunications system had been infected. I said as we speak we have now located all your systems and physical locations and that we would now be going into the next phases. I said expect a knock on the door very soon, or maybe they will just ram the door in. He really did sound quite worried about the whole thing and became very apologetic. I finished by wishing him a nice day, what he had left of it. Funnily enough I haven't had any more calls from them :D
Good one:clap:clap

I am down to about twice a month now with these calls. The last one was 40 minutes while they tried to talk me through the login. They kept asking me to look in the bottom left hand corner for the windows key but I got very confused because the windows key was in the drawer where I normally kept it and in any case the only time that the windows lock was on was when I was on holiday. He got very frustrated and kept asking "vat wersion of vindows do you have"

I eventually understood and was able to tell him they were UPVC and double glazed. In a rather high pitched voice he said "No vat vindows are on your computer?" I told him I only had one big window but in the UK we called it a screen.

Then my wife started laughing in the background and spoiled my whole act and I had to hang up but I must give the guy full marks for persistence.

Back
Top Bottom