09 abs 2 fault unresolved.

I was simply looking for a replacement motor, didn't need one in the end as lubing the bush sorted mine out. I'd be surprised if the entire unit could be swapped.

Fair enough. There is probably not "that" much that can go wrong with the ABS valve block.

20170218_122959.jpg20170218_123636.jpg20170218_123726.jpg

UPDATE.The bike having been mostly unused last year was taken for a run before I was to service it, then the clutch and alternator gave up the ghost . I pulled the bike apart to fettle it. I noticed the damaged harness and hey presto the damaged power supply was discovered.

It appears the protective strip on the abs mount was in the wrong place and allowed the harness to rub and short out. Once I finish reassembling the bike I may well have operational abs. Just need to remember what goes where now........

Is it just me or is it not really shocking that a motorcycle that may have cost up to £15k new is supplied with the electrics protected by a shitey wrapping of insulation tape and allowed to chaff against metal parts ? I really hope that your problem is sorted out by reconnecting that wire. BMW is meant to be a premier marque... I really do wonder about that seriously I think they are just as shite as much less renowned motorcycles.

I tend to agree. It's pretty disappointing. I'm someone who had to have the ABS motor rebuilt on a bike with 26,000 miles. To be honest I'd like to try something other than a GS next but there's just nothing else out there with similar specification.

It is my first and last bmw bike. The palaver replacing the clutch and associated housing seals is enough to put anyone off owning one. Poor design and piss poor execution. Next time I'll be looking at a super tenere . 😉

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It is my first and last bmw bike. The palaver replacing the clutch and associated housing seals is enough to put anyone off owning one. Poor design and piss poor execution. Next time I'll be looking at a super tenere .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I get flamed for saying such things. But the trouble is the bike's dynamics are so good I'll struggle to find anything that fits my needs as well as the GSA does.

It does gall that BMW paid silly money to bespoke design what amounts to a car clutch. All because they never looked at a car's toroidal clutch release cylinder.
We end up with reduced reliability and silly money costs when it's worn out.
BTW, the friction plate is almost identical to a VW beetle. So ignore any bollox about short production runs.

Sent somehow.

I had a similar issue a few years ago on my GSA with the cabling on LHS where it rubbed through the main red power feed cable adjacent to the battery, causing similar verdigris. I had to chop out about 12" of cable and crimp repair an insert section as the cable inner was shot.

ABS now resolved

As the title suggests I have reassembled the bike after a clutch replacement and can now confirm the rotten harness was the cause of the abs faults.
Thanks for all the suggestions and interest. I wonder how long before some other poorly designed part fails?

Good work. I bet you were secretly pleased when you spotted that chafed wiring. After all those months of fault finding and not getting anywhere, would have frustrated the hell out of me. No wonder you are leaning away from the bikes.
I have come close to the same feeling, following a clutch change, but Im giving it a year to decide if its a keeper.

The red cable in Dougster's photos looks like it's power to something, direct from the battery and not fused. It makes me wonder if the same cable run chafing was why my 2006 model caught fire last year.

Great result,
You finally found what the diagnostic was saying all along, even pro's miss read this stuff,
your wiring photo is common on modern vehicles,
Lots of components wrongly get changed for circuit or no communication faults,
Now its fixed you know its ok and they are a great ride,
Some fixer uppers are an education and a reward, enjoy it,
Roamer,

The plastic cable channel alongside the battery is a common area for chafed cabling. When I removed the rear subframe, I found some of mine had worn flat but not right through. Unclip the loom and take a close look. Don't pull the clips to tight when refitting. On the same job, I found the wires to the gearbox and stater must be run around the engine BEFORE the subframe is fitted. It's a strange way to do things - common sense would fit the wiring loom after the engine and frame are built up. I believe this results in problems when people reassemble the bike with the wires running in not not exactly the way the factory do it.

I had my rear subframe on and off three times before I got it correctly sorted. Airbox is fitted to subframe NOT to the engine! Wires have strange routes - get them wrong and connections wont reach.

The Paralever trunnion is ok, but a needle rollers handling a rocking motion without grease points will quickly wear out. What is so bad about poly bushes(?) or (heaven forbid) polymer bearings like Igus?

Back
Top Bottom