Best Roads in Ireland

R800

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well ladies and gents!

With all our trapsing around the continent, Wales and Scotland etc, what do people think are the must ride roads and routes around Ireland?

Or is it true that we just can't compete?!:eek:

Maybe we can put together a list of a few gems... Or maybe not! :blast

Best Roads ??

Wouldn't say these are best roads but they are in my opinion good roads.
1. Tallow to Youghal bypass
2. Turn off Killarney Road to Kilgarvan onto Kenmare
3. Hartnetts Cross (just at Cork side Macroom) to Ballylickey Bridge

Just a few to get the bal rolling

Liam

I guess it depends on what a person's idea of a good road is.....twisty, good surface, fast flowing or scenic etc ?
Personally, routes like Priest's Leap (near Glengarriff), the Caha Pass (Glengarriff - Kenmare), the Ballaghbeama Pass (Kerry), the Ballagahisheen Pass (Kerry)
I think are fantastic, giving great views....not really suited if you're an R1/Fireblade/GSX-R rider but just fine for the likes of a GS.
Parts of the Vee are nice e.g from Lismore to Clogheen. The Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsula is nice on a clear day (rare in Ireland ??!).
The road from Kinsale to the Old Head - Garrettstown - up over the Blue Horizon - coast road to Timoleague - Courtmacsherry is another nice ride.....

I guess it depends on what a person's idea of a good road is.....twisty, good surface, fast flowing or scenic etc ?
Personally, routes like Priest's Leap (near Glengarriff), the Caha Pass (Glengarriff - Kenmare), the Ballaghbeama Pass (Kerry), the Ballagahisheen Pass (Kerry)
I think are fantastic, giving great views....not really suited if you're an R1/Fireblade/GSX-R rider but just fine for the likes of a GS.
Parts of the Vee are nice e.g from Lismore to Clogheen. The Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsula is nice on a clear day (rare in Ireland ??!).
The road from Kinsale to the Old Head - Garrettstown - up over the Blue Horizon - coast road to Timoleague - Courtmacsherry is another nice ride.....

+1 for all that and add in Killarney, the Black Valley to Sneem on the R568 too. Lot of the above in this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 09.22.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 09.22.47.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 650
sally gap, wicklow gap, just south of Dublin, easily accessible, ideal adv bike roads. Laragh - Rathdrum - Avoca. If you get the holyhead to Dublin Ferry, do these roads before heading south or north.

My favourite is Tullow co. Carlow to Shillelagh,Aughrim,Rathdrum to Laragh( I have been known to do this part a couple of times:D),Wicklow Gap,Baltinglass and back to Tullow. They are real GS roads but Laragh to Hollywood can be very busy at the weekends.

Up North the A2 from Larne to Portstewart is breathtaking on a fine day and there is plenty to see and places to visit along the way:thumb

sally gap, wicklow gap, just south of Dublin, easily accessible, ideal adv bike roads. Laragh - Rathdrum - Avoca. If you get the holyhead to Dublin Ferry, do these roads before heading south or north.

To be avoided at weekends during the summer months (unfortunately)

aughrim to carnew wicklow

thomastown to ferns wexford

n62 from athlone to thurles

R503 milestone to annacotty tipp into limerick

r336 r345 leenane maam cro clonbur cong galway

N59 main road galweh sligo

armagh tandragee road

ballymena armoy

lap of strangford

r200 r 207 glenfarne glengelvin bawnboy leitrim

r208 down lough allen manorhamilton to drumshanbo

r286 sligo lurganboy

i have a biiiiig list :D

My favourite is Tullow co. Carlow to Shillelagh,Aughrim,Rathdrum to Laragh( I have been known to do this part a couple of times:D),Wicklow Gap,Baltinglass and back to Tullow. They are real GS roads but Laragh to Hollywood can be very busy at the weekends

Great challenging roads during the winter months. That's where I spend most of my time on the bike. As cycling gets more popular, it's getting harder to get a clear run at the Hollywood/Laragh road. The lycra lads are watching too many international events on closed roads and seem to forget that the roads that they are enjoying their hobby on are not closed!! (sorry for the mini rant)

I would be very familiar with the roads around Roundwood Glendalough Lara Hollywood and while they are challenging the are thronged with weekend warriors every Saturday and Sunday. You can see them as they pass bye your bus on continuous white lines at the brows of hills on narrow bridges as the ride furiously on their Sunday runs. I have seen them on unexpected gravel on bends I have seen the results of one accident when a uninsured banned motorcyclist decided to overtake my bus on a bend straight into the path of another unfornatiate law abiding motorcyclist. He lost his leg. The overtaker broke his arm. Almost every week there is a crash on those mountains. Involving a biker. A good few are when they simply run out of road or skill. The Dublin and Wicklow mountains are more suitable for a laid back cruser style of bikeing rather than the full on sports bikes that you see at high speed. The n11 is a good road with plenty of bends watch out for speed cameras around baltingglass and blessington. JJH

Most of Cavan, Monaghan and Fermanagh. Not much traffic either.

I would be very familiar with the roads around Roundwood Glendalough Lara Hollywood and while they are challenging the are thronged with weekend warriors every Saturday and Sunday. You can see them as they pass bye your bus on continuous white lines at the brows of hills on narrow bridges as the ride furiously on their Sunday runs. I have seen them on unexpected gravel on bends I have seen the results of one accident when a uninsured banned motorcyclist decided to overtake my bus on a bend straight into the path of another unfornatiate law abiding motorcyclist. He lost his leg. The overtaker broke his arm. Almost every week there is a crash on those mountains. Involving a biker. A good few are when they simply run out of road or skill. The Dublin and Wicklow mountains are more suitable for a laid back cruser style of bikeing rather than the full on sports bikes that you see at high speed. The n11 is a good road with plenty of bends watch out for speed cameras around baltingglass and blessington. JJH

Lovely mid week evening spin. Over to Lynams for a coffee and a purple shnack!!!!

Agree, but watch out for them cyclists :D

The R 390 linking Mullingar & Athlone (via Ballymore) puts a wee smile on my little face.

Throw in a bit of Leitrim and that's about perfect. :thumb2

Agree fully
And as you are at it include Roscommon West & North of Keadue around Arigna area in particular

Back
Top Bottom