Advice on Camel Bags please

ButtonMoon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a Camel Bag for my long trips and general ride outs, but there's soooo many sizes and shapes, does anyone use one ? if so what do you use and what capacity is it?

Cheers
Button

Do you mean Camelbak ( the water bladder) or some sort of man-bag?

Personally I find a 1.5litre unit is a good size for a good days riding. You can easily empty a litre in no time, I have a 1 and 1.5 and use the 1.5 the most.

You cant fully fill them up to capacity anyway.

Just remember: what goes in must come out.....

I use a very small Camelback for trail riding because I want as little weight on my back as possible. It has a few small pockets buts is mainly only there to carry the bladder.
For long trips I use Kriega rucksacks (R20 and R15) which both take Kriegas own bladder (or any other for the matter) and can obviously carry lots more stuff if needed. The Kreiga one is 2 litres but I generally only bung a litre in it. It's very well designed and a doodle to fill/use.

Andres

Took the Krieger (3l) to Morocco, most of the peeps on the tour had them, some had camelbacks, all up the consensus was the Camels were ok, but the Kriegers took beatings better for offroad. the R15 etc was used by guys who wanted to carry stuff and they recommended them

I use a 3l Camelbak but only for longer solo trips when it's boiling hot. The 3L larger bag means that you can part fill the bladder and use the remaining space for essentials. It's also a handy bit of kit for MTBing, mountain climbing and general camping. I picked mine up from Ebay BNWT in camo colours for a fraction of the RRP.

Empty the bladder and keep it in the freezer when you are not using it.

Empty your bladder and put it in the freezer?
Some sort of lemon sorbet for the mother in law perhaps?

Buttonmoon, buy a Kreiga US-5 and slap that on the back, very handy for carrying bits and bobs as well, and doesn't make it too bulky

Buttonmoon, buy a Kreiga US-5 and slap that on the back, very handy for carrying bits and bobs as well, and doesn't make it too bulky

Cheers for that. I'll wait until I get the delivery of the Hydro-3 and depending on size I'll order one.

Got the Hydro-3 delivered yesterday, got to say it a perfect size for my needed of travelling North East to South East very week or so.

Straydog. I think the Kreiga US-5 will got perfect, I'll order that today.

again thanks for your help everyone.

Button

Back
Top Bottom