1300GSA Braking question

Derekjhutton

Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
62
Reaction score
23
Location
Chester
About me, I’m 60 and don’t ride like knob. My Mrs is 55 and steady rider, adequate progress and rarely more than 5-10mph over speed limit if at all. When I ride behind her roll off engine braking takes care of most slowing down other than a touch of front brake for give way and stop signs.

The problem arises if I’m on my own or riding with mates, we’re not talking 100+ mph on a cross country jaunt but perhaps 70-80 mph on the odd occasion but not aggressive or dangerous. The problem is that when you have to shed say 30 mph for a corner the brakes on the GSA are woeful at least perhaps even borderline dangerous. Using front brake only is terrifying, bringing the back brake into play improves things a touch but not enough to inspire any confidence.

First GSA landed when bike was first introduced and its brakes were dire so after 6 weeks and BMW dealer swearing blind I was the only owner to experience any problems the bike was traded for a new one. This also proved to be hopeless so I had a trusted and experienced race mechanic look into the problem and it turned out new bike straight out the showroom was struggling to get mot pass readings on the rollers. Yes , I know, it ought to have been handed back and rejected but new pads improved the job a little so we gave the bike a chance. Within a month or so things were back to crap so we commissioned a pair of custom made discs from the company that supplies them for our classic (1980’s) race bikes. These new disc arrived two weeks back and were due to be fitted in next week or so.

Things took a surprising turn week past Saturday when while bemoaning the situation with our local dealer he surprised me by offering a very good trade in deal as BMW were offering a big discount/customer incentive to encourage sales. Given relatively small price to change I thought why not.
New bike arrived yesterday and today I’ve gone Chester to Oxford and back using A roads only. Bikes in garage here having done 350miles and showing 52mpg consumption so hardly a breakneck journey speed.

Apologies for long winded rant. New discs are here and will probably be fitted in next week or so. If it solves the problem I’ll be a happy tosser otherwise I’m off to Ducati for a multistrada! I’ve been on GS & GSA’s since the 90’s so this will hurt. If anyone has any thoughts (good,bad or sarcastic!) please post them. I’m not precious so you’ll not offend me but there might be something glaringly obvious I’m missing.

Cheers in advance.
Derek.
 
I have a 2025 GSA and have now racked up almost 15000km and haven’t noticed. Yes, you do need to really grab a big handful of brake but when I have had a couple of near misses the braking does just fine. I actually find the back brake bites harder
 
I do recall when it went in for a service last year saying the front brakes could be better on my R1300GS to the dealer in that the bite wasn't instant and they said they adjusted something (I dont think it was lever span) , is there a pin that can be adjusted? Recently had the bike through a 15000 mile service where they did a break bleed and the lever is rock solid, no complaints. By contrast, I did take a 5k mile 2025 GSA out while my bike was in and the front brakes did feel noticeably sloppy/poor by comparison to mine with more lever travel, I wouldn't have been happy with it.
 
What mode do you ride in?

I ask because in road mode there is a lot of intervention from the linked brakes, pulling the front brake lever sends a lot of braking force to the rear and vice versa
The upshot is that if you touch the back brake pedal the front brake lever goes hard and you really have to give it a squeeze to get any pressure, personally I find it pretty horrible

In Dynamic mode the brakes behave far more normally, like any other bike, even though there is some intervention from the linked system it isn’t invasive and you can dose the brakes as you want
 
I have a 2025 GSA and have now racked up almost 15000km and haven’t noticed. Yes, you do need to really grab a big handful of brake but when I have had a couple of near misses the braking does just fine. I actually find the back brake bites harder
Agree about back brake bitting harder and it improves job but my front lever(on one day old bike) can be virtually touching throttle tube and stopping power is diabolical and it can’t trigger ABS, even on wet or damp surfaces. I’ve bottled out trying it on the loose stuff as the bike fuelled up with fatty here on board tips the scales at over 500kg!
 
What mode do you ride in?

I ask because in road mode there is a lot of intervention from the linked brakes, pulling the front brake lever sends a lot of braking force to the rear and vice versa
The upshot is that if you touch the back brake pedal the front brake lever goes hard and you really have to give it a squeeze to get any pressure, personally I find it pretty horrible

In Dynamic mode the brakes behave far more normally, like any other bike, even though there is some intervention from the linked system it isn’t invasive and you can dose the brakes as you want
I ride in dynamic pro and agree pressing back brake on mine does put much better feel to front and, whether it just in my mind I don’t know, seems to brake a little better but not like my four 1250gs’s but they’d all had pads upgraded to a Dunlop race type compound pad. Pad option for 1300 callipers are all but non existent. Our race brake disk maker says the steel quality in the standard discs are terrible but this could be unproven heresay and he does sell me quite a few sets of variations of discs every year.
 


Back
Top Bottom