BMW Connected Navigator

Ash700

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering what the consensus is on the BMW Connected Navigator, do any of you have one, if so, what do you think?

I currently have the Nav6, which has never missed a beat (maybe I shouldn’t say that out loud). I know it’s a compromise compared to the functions of the XT and XT2, but I see that those units are also a compromise as they don’t interact with the control wheel. Zooming in and out of areas with the control wheel when on the move is something I do a lot if I’m not familiar with an area, whilst touring. I don’t really want to have to touch the screen in order to change a feature, display, info, etc., which is why I’m asking about the new BMW concoction.

From what I’ve seen, the map view is a bit grey and boring and some have complained about the size on the on screen labels. I did search before adding this thread, but didn’t see anything with regards to decent reviews. Even the ones on YouTube are thin on the ground. It’s probably because it’s early days and software updates are still occurring.

Cheers 👍

Hi Ash,
I have the Nav 5 on mine, love it. The multi screens on the control wheel allow me to use it as a speedometer too which I like as the dial I find hard to read accurately on the move. Would go for a Nav 6 if one came up at the right price but not sure it offers much more than the 5

Hi Ash,
I have the Nav 5 on mine, love it. The multi screens on the control wheel allow me to use it as a speedometer too which I like as the dial I find hard to read accurately on the move. Would go for a Nav 6 if one came up at the right price but not sure it offers much more than the 5
Hi Captain Dan
I had the Nav 5 but I was (am) a sucker for the latest tech and had to have a 6! I think it’s pretty much the same as a 5, apart from the screen/display. From what others have said, I’ve obviously been lucky with my 6. It works fine… maybe a little slow to update routes sometimes but on the whole it work well. If I invest in the new Nav I’ll let you know

Morning all I have the nav6 and the connected nav , the nav unit doesn’t do post codes only address, and doesn’t connect to base camp and will only take a gpx file so if u are going into Europe, you put the destination in and then you can put way points in , used in France to find a hotel and it worked fine because it came up with the hotel name , but you can also have the destination on your TF screen in a turn by turn as well I am going to Germany in June so I will know more about it then , I also believe the maps are tomtom based

I have the Nav V and Nav 6. No complaints with either. They do everything I need for navigation and having an easily readable speedo is a plus plus they pull up a lot of connected data available on tft screens of later bikes.

I was unaware that the new connected Nav didn’t do post codes! It seems quite illogical that they would omit such an obviously required feature. From what I’ve read, in other places, other people are expecting that software updates will add certain functions. I also saw, on a YouTube vid that it doesn’t turn off when the bike is switched off? So, if it doesn’t take post codes and doesn’t turn off when ignition is turned off, who the hell is buying these Nav devices?

There aren’t many vids of it on YT yet, but I suppose it’s still early days. I think I’ll wait until it’s been fettled and is fully functional out of the box, as you’d expect it to be!

Thanks for the replies, so far… they’re helping 👍

Using Zumo XT and XT2 for more than 4 years now and more than 130.000kms, i have never did zoom in or out. They do it by themselves when need it. So forget about wonderwheel usage, it is just a BMW marketing trick. You can buy a zumo XT with half price with many features more and reliability.

I was unaware that the new connected Nav didn’t do post codes! It seems quite illogical that they would omit such an obviously required feature. From what I’ve read, in other places, other people are expecting that software updates will add certain functions. I also saw, on a YouTube vid that it doesn’t turn off when the bike is switched off? So, if it doesn’t take post codes and doesn’t turn off when ignition is turned off, who the hell is buying these Nav devices?

There aren’t many vids of it on YT yet, but I suppose it’s still early days. I think I’ll wait until it’s been fettled and is fully functional out of the box, as you’d expect it to be!

I've got my eye on one to replace my aging Nav 5 but it doesn't look too hopeful yet. Time will tell.

Slightly surprised there hasn't been more reviews in the UK so far, watching one that Sycamore are offering on Ebay and it states "45 sold" so there's a few out there. In terms of Postcodes that seems odd if missing on the unit itself, because they are supported in the Connected app. Maybe that's how you are supposed to do it? Set up in the app then send to the navigator?

For me a significant demerit,so far, seems to be that safety camera details simply aren't supplied at the moment while the mapping detail seems pretty grey and bland.

Just been looking at the CRN after seeing GS_PS post about the app accepting post codes. I just had a Quick Look on the app and if you do a search foe a person in your contacts or a postcode search. Turn on the CRN and go to start then to enter address. You should then see the address/person that showed up on the app. Click on it and your good to go

Slightly surprised there hasn't been more reviews in the UK so far, watching one that Sycamore are offering on Ebay and it states "45 sold" so there's a few out there. In terms of Postcodes that seems odd if missing on the unit itself, because they are supported in the Connected app. Maybe that's how you are supposed to do it? Set up in the app then send to the navigator?

For me a significant demerit,so far, seems to be that safety camera details simply aren't supplied at the moment while the mapping detail seems pretty grey and bland.
I think the cost has a lot to do with it and from the very few reviews about it appears somewhat limited. Im not sure but it also seems to rely a lot on having a phone connected?
Ive a Nav 6 and i been happy with it but we all know that its very overpriced for the features it has and there have been a lot of issues with that model. Maybe people are just a little wary at the mo.

As you may have read in other posts. I have replaced the Nav 6 with Chigee AIO-5. So far so good, works well with the wonder wheel once got used to. Can use any CarPlay/Android Auto compatible app, with front/rear camera and BSD built in, for less than the Connected Ride Nav.

Mine turns off with the ignition. Also takes postcodes

Attachments

• IMG_1653.jpeg
    IMG_1653.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 32
That's cool Zoton, I have a brand new Connected Ride Nav unopened in its box and will be trying it tomorrow.
The posts above had me thinking about getting a refund.
Will let you know.

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of info I’m after. I saw a vid on YT where some guy couldn’t get his to turn off, which makes me wonder if they are struggling with its operation, or just deliberately trying to discredit it by giving it bad publicity? I’m sure that there’ll be more reviews appearing soon, it’s still relatively early days.

I’m grateful for replies so far and hope any owners of the new nav device will add their thoughts and findings on it, on this this thread. Thanks

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of info I’m after. I saw a vid on YT where some guy couldn’t get his to turn off, which makes me wonder if they are struggling with its operation, or just deliberately trying to discredit it by giving it bad publicity? I’m sure that there’ll be more reviews appearing soon, it’s still relatively early days.

I’m grateful for replies so far and hope any owners of the new nav device will add their thoughts and findings on it, on this this thread. Thanks

My rubbish theory (guess) - if you start the nav outside the cradle then "mount" it and fire the bike up it doesn't shut off on the ignition - if it starts when the ignition is turned on, as in nav off and switches on with the ignition it goes off when the ignition is turned off.
Its just a theory but might try it later..

If you have the Nav prep, the Wunderlinq box paired to the phone is superb. Allows use of phone nav of choice, and wonderwheel telemetry too

Used my Connected Ride Navigator for the first time today.
It uses post codes without problem and switches off with a 20 second countdown once ignition is turned off.
A green light remained 'on' to the left side of the CRN for a little while longer and had me worried that might be a drain, but it too 'turned off' after about another 20 seconds.
From opening the box last night and updating software (took some time) I went out today and found that the maps themselves were not loaded.
I'd set a destination this morning at home where the unit was still picking up my wifi and before I tried to ride off, it indicated that I needed to complete the download of West Germany before it would allow my planned route to load properly ......in Ormkirk, Lancashire.
Once I'd downloaded UK maps, it happily guided me where I wanted.
It's new, it's good, there's more to learn, so far I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom