Charging Issue; Stator or RR

Well there is something going on that shouldn't be and trying to guess what it is remotely is difficult at best.

But I can tell you that there should not be any continuity to ground from any stator lead - the meter should read infinity (the same reading that you see when measuring resistance and the meter leads are not touching each other or anything else) or extremely high.

If there is continuity between a stator lead and ground then the stator is toast.

I dropped the Bike off at the dealership, and got confirmation it is the Stator that's toast.

I dropped the Bike off at the dealership, and got confirmation it is the Stator that's toast.
Thanks for the update i was wondering whether you`d got to the bottom of it.
And also commiserations, that`s going to be a bit spendy...

Thanks for the update i was wondering whether you`d got to the bottom of it.
And also commiserations, that`s going to be a bit spendy...

That it will be - current estimations is around £1600.....it'll probably be more as i'll aim to get other things done whilst its out if it saves labour (and is worth doing) later down the line, such as the clutch pack.

Picked up the Bike today, total bill is £1621.10

Generator cost; £690.92 + VAT

Pics of the burnt stator. It appears to have shorted/burned out where the wires are connected to the windings.
Is this the new style, or even a BMW part? No part number on it except a stamp of 4 numbers, you can just make out.

Did you not have an extended warranty?

Part of the reason i moved my LC on, 2 years all in warranty -

Extended warranty 12 weeks was the best i could get before something failed

4 years of ownership - 18 months in the dealers (repairs / diagnosis/ waiting parts)

Did you not have an extended warranty?

Part of the reason i moved my LC on, 2 years all in warranty -

Extended warranty 12 weeks was the best i could get before something failed

4 years of ownership - 18 months in the dealers (repairs / diagnosis/ waiting parts)

No, it's a 2013 Bike. It was not bought from a BMW dealer either.

Back
Top Bottom