Clutch Smell

blaze591

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Advice appreciated - 68 plate R1200GS with 15k miles. Had a trip away recently, spent a lot of time riding down singletrack in scotland in the rain. All slow stuff, first and second gear. Stopped after about an hour to find a distinct smell of clutch. Have rode it a couple of other times, seemingly no issue. Went out this weekend over the peaks, lots of singletrack, tight turns, steep hills out towards Flash / Buxton. Go back home and a bit of clutch smell. Now, I'm a big unit, so the bike is pulling around 18 stone of me. No sign of slip, bike serviced recently. Normal, anything to worry about, or anything to check? I don't think I am riding the clutch unnecessarily. Thanks, appreciate the advice.

I have done a few bmw offroad days and the clutches there get a real workout - dont worry.

Lead farmer is correct - it's a wet clutch, so you won't smell it.

However, consider your riding style. Apart from moving off, don't slip the clutch. Keep your fingers away from the lever!

Ok, weird smell department. 2020 1250GS TE.

I ride home from work, all in town, pretty much legal speed, all of about ten minutes, perform a u-turn at the end of our cul-de-sac, and then walk the bike backwards down the (quite steep) drive and park it arse-first in the garage, turn off at kill switch, turn off & lock (keyless) ignition & steering lock. Get off, open front of lid, and register the distinct smell of toast.

I doubt very much if the tyres or pads are really warm, let alone hot.

any ideas?

Sounds like a hot catalytic converter to me @SBD , assuming your bike is still standard.

Relatively short runs, it's not getting the chance to burn off any road dirt/debris; sometimes it's also noticeable when you stop after a wet ride, when the cat will be steaming away nicely.

Leadfarmer,

AFAIK, all is ok in the cooling department, no leaks, no alerts, and the fans work.

Squibb,

this sounds very plausible, though I’m not sure why it should smell like toast.

Thanks both.

I’ll take it for a run, there’s been too much commuting and not enough runs this year.

Did all of 40 miles today (Ham Street bike jumble - some very nice stuff on show - a 900 Kwak4 was best in show, looked lovely) and the Beamer isn’t smelling of toast. Presume it has burnt off whatever it was in the cat. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom