Cylinder guards r1250gs

So what we're saying, is both protect the sides of the cylinder, and both are effectively trashed after a slide (unless you plan on keeping the hideously disfigured covers on after a crash).

Can we just remind ourselves of the ask here, which is covers under bars. If I didn't have crash bars, I'd most certainly go for x-heads. If I had crash bars, I'll go for wunders for the additional protection. Aesthetics are an altogether other matter, but the WAMs tend to look a bit agricultural, especially after a couple of years on a bike (they fade). The wunders look smarter and will do more than xheads (by protecting the front of the cylinders) if you are running bars.

I’m just not sure why you think the Wunderlich ones offer more protection.

The x heads are more flexible, the wunderlich ones are hard plastic which means they break on impact (an issue that machine art had with their first x heads and have since addressed it).

On the 1250 shift cam the x heads cover everything necessary and even replace the spark plug covers.

Attachments

• 117FB682-AAA7-47CA-96DE-37806844F94E.jpg
    117FB682-AAA7-47CA-96DE-37806844F94E.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 473
Ok, let's address the situation in which the covers are used without bars, even though that's not the ask of the OP. I've already said that I'd rather have the x-heads in that situation, though the fact that the Wunderlich's can be pulled off once the bike is stationary seems to make little difference to me vs the fact that aesthetically the x-heads would also be buggered. But I'll say it one more time, for a bike without bars the x-heads would seem the better choice.

However, if you have bars on, which is what this thread is about, only the lower half of the protector comes into contact, so neither of the video cases demonstrated in this thread would apply. I can't see the Wunderlich's breaking off when used with bars, but instead the shock being absorbed by the rubber protectors on the inside of the covers.

Regards offering more protection, the oem bars would in most circumstances offer protection to the front of the cylinder head, but the Wunderlich do offer some protector in the case of a protruding obstacle, as well as stine chips.

For me, if using oem bars, the Wunderlich's offer more protection, and look better.

Ok, let's address the situation in which the covers are used without bars, even though that's not the ask of the OP. I've already said that I'd rather have the x-heads in that situation, though the fact that the Wunderlich's can be pulled off once the bike is stationary seems to make little difference to me vs the fact that aesthetically the x-heads would also be buggered. But I'll say it one more time, for a bike without bars the x-heads would seem the better choice.

However, if you have bars on, which is what this thread is about, only the lower half of the protector comes into contact, so neither of the video cases demonstrated in this thread would apply. I can't see the Wunderlich's breaking off when used with bars, but instead the shock being absorbed by the rubber protectors on the inside of the covers.

Regards offering more protection, the oem bars would in most circumstances offer protection to the front of the cylinder head, but the Wunderlich do offer some protector in the case of a protruding obstacle, as well as stine chips.

For me, if using oem bars, the Wunderlich's offer more protection, and look better.

I see why you might think that way….but, for the more pliable material and the fact that they don’t shatter…..I’ll stick with the x heads. The chances of a ‘protrusion’ hitting the valve cover on the unprotected part is far outweighed by the superior design and execution of the x head guards.

Just fitted the X-heads this week and very impressed with the quality, they have a solid heft to them, and fit perfectly. And IIRC are about $200 less than the Wunderlich version. Wundrelich always seems so proud of their products. :)

Just fitted the X-heads this week and very impressed with the quality, they have a solid heft to them, and fit perfectly. And IIRC are about $200 less than the Wunderlich version. Wundrelich always seems so proud of their products. :)

The price here in the UK is about $30 difference. That's probably more to do with the additional cost of US goods here, and the export of German costs to the US?

But, here's something that will bring a smile to the x-headers. My GS has done about 1.5k, not had an impact, and has been in the garage since last November. This is what I found today. That's shit, isn't it?

Not sure they have used some kind of sticky rubber for this.

Emailed Wunderlich, will see what response I get.

But, in advance of that, anybody have any suggestions what to use to 'glue' in back into place?

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 353
Jeezo O .
I also bought the wunderlich guards
Fitted no problem with the BMW crash bars.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

I still stand by what I say in terms of protection and aesthetics IF you are running bars as well, but this isn't the first time when I've questioned the quality of Wunderlich products. Guess I'll try some epoxy, but I'll see what Wunderlich say first.

I have now received a response to my polite concern raised with Wunderlich. It was written in somewhat broken English, but basically said "tough shit".

I have now received a response to my polite concern raised with Wunderlich. It was written in somewhat broken English, but basically said "tough shit".
Where did you buy them from ?
I would give them a call no harm in trying.
All the best

Where did you buy them from ?
I would give them a call no harm in trying.
All the best

Thanks. They were actually purchased on my behalf and fitted by the BMW dealer to the new bike. Service is due mid-April so booked that today. Mentioned it in passing, said I'd try some epoxy, they said don't, let us do it as we'll probably have something strong that'll do it.

The point is though, first, what a utterly shit design - stuck on, not bonded on or even attached it some way. Second, imagine going back to somewhere like Nippys and asking for the to exchange after 15 mths. Wunderlich washed their hands of it entirely, despite a polite email explaining the situation and sending photos.

I'm not mad on the MAM design, and my experience is that the rubber finish dulls after a couple of years. But I wouldn't buy this crap from Wunderlich - still can't believe the metal is simply stuck on with a dollop of rubbery glue!

Thanks. They were actually purchased on my behalf and fitted by the BMW dealer to the new bike. Service is due mid-April so booked that today. Mentioned it in passing, said I'd try some epoxy, they said don't, let us do it as we'll probably have something strong that'll do it.

The point is though, first, what a utterly shit design - stuck on, not bonded on or even attached it some way. Second, imagine going back to somewhere like Nippys and asking for the to exchange after 15 mths. Wunderlich washed their hands of it entirely, despite a polite email explaining the situation and sending photos.

I'm not mad on the MAM design, and my experience is that the rubber finish dulls after a couple of years. But I wouldn't buy this crap from Wunderlich - still can't believe the metal is simply stuck on with a dollop of rubbery glue!

Know your cleaning products and plastic fading will never be an issue again :thumb2

Autobrite hellshine works wonders on faded plastics.

Know your cleaning products and plastic fading will never be an issue again :thumb2

Autobrite hellshine works wonders on faded plastics.

Nah, I'm a keen detailer and never use anything on the bike other than a ph shampoo and which gets rinsed off pretty quick. And yes, plenty of products out there, even acf50, that will disguise faded rubber.

Nah, I'm a keen detailer and never use anything on the bike other than a ph shampoo and which gets rinsed off pretty quick. And yes, plenty of products out there, even acf50, that will disguise faded rubber.

Well your knowledge of everything is astounding my friend, so keep doing your thing.

BTW my head protectors are still in one piece and looking fab :thumb2

Well your knowledge of everything is astounding my friend, so keep doing your thing.

BTW my head protectors are still in one piece and looking fab :thumb2

FFS. I come on here and provide an honest about my experience with the Wunderlichs. You come on here, without any knowledge of how I care for my vehicles, and I give a gentle counter, but you still have to have something to say. What a prick.

I have thought about getting head protectors. But the cost to replace a head cover from BMW is quite cheap - and actually barely anymore than a set of protectors.

If you are debating the merits of a protector from a 50mph slide on the public road where there is other traffic and road furniture... there is a high probability that you will not be in a position to just pick the bike up and ride it again in the hope that a cylinder head hasn't been punctured. Or whether the MaM/Wunderlich cover covers an extra cm here/there. I speak from experience!

And for the occasional stationary/slow drop on tarmac, proper engine bars (not the weak BMW oem ones that deform on impact) offer the protection wanted. The only place where cylinder head protectors make sense are to protect against rock head punctures from slow speed drops OFFroad. Assuming that the rider isn't injured and able to carry on riding.

And for resale value back to a BMW dealership, I realise that they don't really care about the occasional scratch/dent/stonechip. I had the fancy HP billet cylinder head covers on my last Rallye GS which had taken a beating on both sides (the bike was used off road and had been dropped both left/right), and the BMW dealer never penalised me when I sold the bike back to them.

FFS. I come on here and provide an honest about my experience with the Wunderlichs. You come on here, without any knowledge of how I care for my vehicles, and I give a gentle counter, but you still have to have something to say. What a prick.

Let’s go back to the back to the start……every post you have put in response to me has been negative, you have perpetually dismissed everything I have written, yet here you are calling me a prick……..hmmmmm, someone need to look in the mirror :tosser

Then, to top it off, after the constant bleating about how wonderful the more expensive wunderlich covers are, you then post how they have fallen apart :D

I’ll go back to my stance, I’ll stick with the x head guards and if they fade, I shall bring them back to life with hellshine so they look as good as new.

I was thinking of fitting these :

f8a88e02e3e3fd23c1865a9bbd7c0ee5.jpg

Either £200 Wunderlich from NN or £70 from China.
Anyone fitted these, are the NN really worth 3 x the price of the China ones ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s go back to the back to the start……every post you have put in response to me has been negative, you have perpetually dismissed everything I have written, yet here you are calling me a prick……..hmmmmm, someone need to look in the mirror :tosser

Then, to top it off, after the constant bleating about how wonderful the more expensive wunderlich covers are, you then post how they have fallen apart :D

I’ll go back to my stance, I’ll stick with the x head guards and if they fade, I shall bring them back to life with hellshine so they look as good as new.

I have to counter, and I do this politely: there is nothing is my exchanges with you that has at all dismissed what you have written, but instead different points of view were exchanged. I think if you look back on the exchanges and were able to take a fair and objective view then I believe you would see that, and that perhaps your last two posts have been a tad antagonistic and unnecessary. But I wish you well in your future exchanges with others on the forum.

I have to counter, and I do this politely: there is nothing is my exchanges with you that has at all dismissed what you have written, but instead different points of view were exchanged. I think if you look back on the exchanges and were able to take a fair and objective view then I believe you would see that, and that perhaps your last two posts have been a tad antagonistic and unnecessary. But I wish you well in your future exchanges with others on the forum.

Bless :comfort

Not sure why you’ve decided to be polite, I was a prick in your last post :blast:D

Maybe, like your Wunderlich head guards, you’ve realised your mistake, have decided I’m not a prick, and are now trying to do an invisible u turn hoping nobody will notice :jes:jes:jes

Don’t fret, I am a prick, you are right sometimes :thumb

Back
Top Bottom