Driveshaft question 2006 R1200GS

ferguscawley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am refurbishing a 2006 GS that I recently bought. Driveshaft gearbox UJ was shot so it's gone off for repair by Mikeyboy.

Question I have relates to the little spring clip / retainer shown as part number 2 in the fiche below. It doesn't seem to be available from BMW, nor was there one on the bike - the driveshaft just slid easily off the gearbox output shaft (no levering with a large screwdriver required as is the norm)

Anyone got a part number ? Or know where they can be got ?

Or is it even needed ?

Thanks in advance

1706632381847.png

Snap rings.

Somebody like Hardy Spicer, GKN etc would do them, probably available at an industrial bearing suppliers in their catalogues somewhere.

Mikeyboy might know a supplier.

Thanks lads.

I'll ask Mikeyboy if he knows.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Or, measure the splined shaft with some calipers and then buy an appropriately sized snap ring from eBay - there’s loads on there.

Thanks lads.

I'll ask Mikeyboy if he knows.

I know he will.
On my 2006 there was not a"number2" at the final drive - not sure about gearbox.
But why would you need one as surely the shaft is free to float a fraction back and forward, constrained within the overall build - hence the lube on the splines.

I am refurbishing a 2006 GS that I recently bought. Driveshaft gearbox UJ was shot so it's gone off for repair by Mikeyboy.

Question I have relates to the little spring clip / retainer shown as part number 2 in the fiche below. It doesn't seem to be available from BMW, nor was there one on the bike - the driveshaft just slid easily off the gearbox output shaft (no levering with a large screwdriver required as is the norm)

Anyone got a part number ? Or know where they can be got ?

Or is it even needed ?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 302934
Actually Fergus On looking at that Picture again

You see the way that the numbers are greyed out ??

That means "not fitted on this configuration!"

only fitted 11-2006 onwards to GS models

If you do decide to fit one Just fit the front one

Last edited:
From memory the last time I had my old hexhead driveshaft out, there was a snap ring at the gearbox end and no snap ring at the final drive end. This kept the shaft in place whilst allowing the splines to slide at the final drive end as it articulated up and down.

On removing the front gearbox end gaiter I had to insert a screwdriver into the driveshaft coupling to lever the shaft down its splines/over its snap ring then slide it out of the swingarm tunnel. I also recall it being a twat of a thing to put back in.

the accountant did his home work if the shaft is OK, one at the gearbox end will stop the other end moving....

that is unlike the engineers who realised the cush-drive section will fail and it will fly about both ends without two snap rings... but no doubt they likely did their maths wrong and having two stress a bearing on max suspension deflection...

There was another post the other day asking how long do they last and how much.... oddly bought a bike mag talking about servicing of the R1300GS bikes

replace driveshaft at 48,000 miles - £700

in the other post I also included the good news, when the cush-drive made of cheap rubber rubbish inside the shaft and gives up at high speed it can remove your foot from your leg permanently - NICE

According to the MaxBMW fiche, the snap rings are:

26 11 8 527 718​
SNAP RING - 22X2,5MM​

They are US$4.80 each so perhaps your UK dealer can still get them under the part number above ?

These are for the later 08/09 bikes but the earlier bikes driveshaft is superceded by the 08/09 shaft, with the snap rings listed as the same.

According to the MaxBMW fiche, the snap rings are:

26 11 8 527 718​
SNAP RING - 22X2,5MM​

They are US$4.80 each so perhaps your UK dealer can still get them under the part number above ?

These are for the later 08/09 bikes but the earlier bikes driveshaft is superceded by the 08/09 shaft, with the snap rings listed as the same.
I can’t see this being correct.
The 08 onwards bike has a larger diameter output shaft from the gearbox,the shafts are not interchangeable.

I've got one spare if you want to DM your details, try it, if it fits great, if it doesn't pass it on to the next guy.

I can’t see this being correct.
The 08 onwards bike has a larger diameter output shaft from the gearbox,the shafts are not interchangeable.
I did wonder that myself Mike, but the fiche shows the earlier part as superceded with the later part number, or perhaps I am reading it wrong..

So I popped into my local BMW dealer this afternoon. Spoke to the parts guy about the mysterious snap ring.

He said that when you buy a new driveshaft for the early 1200 models (there is a new superseded number for the driveshaft not currently shown on real oem), the ring comes installed within.

The other snap ring that is shown for the later models is bigger (he thinks) due to bigger driveshaft diameter.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

I don't have my driveshaft to hand as I posted it to Mikeyboy, but I don't recall seeing a snap ring in there. Maybe there was . I am getting older and progressively more absent minded .

Sorry in advance for jumping on here.
I dropped my gs1200 in for drive shaft boots to be done. My issue is I got a phone call from the shop saying I need a new driveshaft. I was shown the driveshaft that came out of it. There is some play but what if any is allowed before it’s dangerous?

Sorry in advance for jumping on here.
I dropped my gs1200 in for drive shaft boots to be done. My issue is I got a phone call from the shop saying I need a new driveshaft. I was shown the driveshaft that came out of it. There is some play but what if any is allowed before it’s dangerous?
Get it rebuilt, approx 80 quid per joint. Any driveshaft refurb company should be able to do it.

Back
Top Bottom