Fork stanchion upper bush guide and threaded fitting.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I had to remove the top yoke for the old bushes to be pushed out and new ones pushed in by a local motorcycle and still; awaiting the work to be completed. However, the only issue now is the double ended studs are now knackered so I am trying to source these studs, a photo of which i have attached. These are double ended studs with M10 x1.25 pitch thread. I have contacted Motorworks and they are not sold as a separate item only complete with the stanchion. I haven’t got any of these studs to hand to measure for length etc Has anybody sourced any themselves? I am reluctant to use a cut down bolt or threaded bar for fear of knackering the bush with the thread.
It's a bummer. That's why I ended up buying a stantion from MW. But I've not looked back. Perfect ever since. It might be your most expedient way to close the story
 
Trying to take my front forks off to replace the seals. The lower sliders are from from the lower yoke however I’ve e encountered the following problems
1. One complete assembly has been removed but left the threaded mount in the upper guide bush. I have removed the flanged nut but threaded section appears to be held fast. It rotates but I’m not sure whether it’s rotating with the metal insert of the bush. I’ve tried using a drift to force it downward buy does want to move.
2 A similar situation with the other stanchion where I’ve removed the slider but I’m left with a top threaded section and stanchion held fast in the upper bush guide.

Help please!
When you cut down a bolt put a nut on it first so when you have cut it you unscrew the nut and clean up the thread.
 
Further to the above The overall length is 55mm with one threaded section 15mm, the other 20mm and the unthreaded centre section 20mm. They are M10 with 1.25 pitch thread.
Has anybody sourced any themselves? I am reluctant to use a cut down bolt or threaded bar for fear of knackering the bush with the thread.

If you have or can borrow/buy a stock and M10 x 1.25 die, you could use a suitable length M10 bolt. I just googled M10 x 100 bolt dimensions and came up with the image below. You could cut off 6mm from the threaded end, cut the shank to 55mm, and then use the die to cut a 15mm length of thread onto the plain shank.

Note - a standard M10 bolt is 1.5mm pitch, so stating the obvious, you would need to get M10 "fine" bolts and a suitable pitch die.

1791631219653.jpg
 


Back
Top Bottom