Four Rib spoked wheel: Splitting the front wheel Hub

Tony Bailey

Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Jun 21, 2017
Messages
21
Reaction score
11
Location
Northern IRELAND
Splitting the front wheel Hub
Can Anyone please tell me
HOW to SEPARATE THE TWO HALVES OF THE FRONT WHEEL HUB ON A 1977 BMW R100
Thanks Gents
 
Never known anyone to actually split them TBH.
I’ve split one to convert to a four rib to rib hub. If you look at the split line there are small square holes, I made a small aluminium wedge and gently tapped until the halves started to separate. I had removed the bearings and seals because I was vapour blasting them.
 
Each half is held together with sprung steel tubes. Use a close-fitting drift and they will either come out easily or be stuck solid. Don’t know if there are any spares available of the tubes. I think splitting the hub is essential if you are going to use any sort of media blasting to clean them. I’ve split them after and the grit is everywhere and will migrate to the bearings.
 
Each half is held together with sprung steel tubes. Use a close-fitting drift and they will either come out easily or be stuck solid. Don’t know if there are any spares available of the tubes. I think splitting the hub is essential if you are going to use any sort of media blasting to clean them. I’ve split them after and the grit is everywhere and will migrate to the bearings.
I gently heated the hub with a hot air gun, the tubes then came out with a drift. Refitting was also done with the hot air gun.
 


Back
Top Bottom