Front Calipar Bolts - Replacement Possible?

boxer

Like Newton - only stupid
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The two halfs of the front calipars are held together by 4 allen bolts.

Can they be safely replaced, has anyone done this?

Thanks.

Russ.

boxer said:
just that I'm sure I've read somewhere it was a no-no.

If that's the case then there's an awful lot of us with stainless kits that are gonna mighty silly fairly soon.......:D

Stainless put in my old 1100GS, and they were still ok after 24k miles. Those in the 1150 had 'done' 22k without a problem.

Yep I've done that 2 years ago, replaced one at a time and used some A2-70 stainless steel. Didn't know the torque setting though....Two of them have a particularly long non-threaded bit, I didn't find anything like that so used the same kind as the other two. No problems so far.

I think you need to be carefull when fitting stainless bolts to brakes, the materiel is not always up to the torque required for brakes, might be worth checking out.

Sounds like the long stainless bolts are plain shank ones, that are used to stop the pads hanging up.
Had similar issues when first fitted stainless bolts, so used a longer bolt with the correct plain length and then cut the threads back to the correct length. Used something that was about a 25mm longer bolt

Jimb said:
I think you need to be carefull when fitting stainless bolts to brakes, the materiel is not always up to the torque required for brakes, might be worth checking out.

Steptoe...
What's you warranty claim procedure?
:D :D :D

Steve Chip said:
Steptoe...
What's you warranty claim procedure?
:D :D :D

don't worry, the torque you'll be using to tighten brake calipers comes no where near the shear point of the stainless bolt .

i've been using them on my bikes for 20 years and never had any problems :D :D

Back
Top Bottom