Heated Grips Too Hot

Stevie4scoops

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are BMW taking the piss with the heated grips on later versions of the 1200 GS?

I owned both 13 and 14 year versions of the GS LC and it was well discussed at the time that the heated grips didn't get hot enough.

I've recently bought a 2018 version which is much improved ie the gearbox is now very good but the grips are too hot even on low.

It's almost as if BMW didn't like buyers moaning that the grips didn't get hot enough so made them too hot.

It would be great if they had three settings like on a Multistrada.

Does anyone know of a way to make them less hot? Yesterday I wanted them on but the low setting was too hot so I was constantly turning them on and off.

Bonkers and annoying.

Thanks

Grip Puppies may help with the heat & personally I find they help with the skinny grips too!

BMW grips have always been

1 dot - defcon 3 - hot

2 dots - defcon 1 - thermonuclear

The new rotary controller ones start at defcon2 ;)

If they are too hot you are probably using heat with Summer gloves on.
Mines a 2017 model and fine with winter gloves on.

If its chilly with summer gloves the heated grips are mad hot

After the poor heated grips on my 2014 model I found the 2019 to be a massive improvement, but the low setting was slightly too cool once the temperature went below about 8C and the high setting was too hot except in short bursts.

The grips on my 2020 XR are somewhere between the two, with the high setting similar to the low setting on my 2019 GS and the lower setting like the 2014 :blast

Steve you need to take the hand guard extenders off - get a bit more draught on your hands and use summer gloves.

I think summer gloves would make it worse because there would be less insulation between my hand and the heated grip.

Being a cold wimp, I have all the heated gear for home, bikes, cars, van and paramotoring so never thought I'd be moaning something was too hot when it was 9c outside!

After the poor heated grips on my 2014 model I found the 2019 to be a massive improvement, but the low setting was slightly too cool once the temperature went below about 8C and the high setting was too hot except in short bursts.

The grips on my 2020 XR are somewhere between the two, with the high setting similar to the low setting on my 2019 GS and the lower setting like the 2014 :blast

I went from a GS to an XR a few years ago, wasn't planning on doing this again quite so soon.

Sold the XR because I didn't want to go to prison.

first world problems, my grips are too hot....turn the fcking things off then!

Back
Top Bottom