Help/Advice needed

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an annual travel insurance policy and have booked a trip to Fuerteventura next week. The problem is that Mrs Fatal has just been diagnosed with cancer in her right kidney (thankfully no secondaries) I contacted Saga to inform them as requested regarding medical conditions. They have stated that they will not cover my wife on this policy but will continue to cover me. They will however provide her with a stand alone single trip policy for £1800!
This doesn't sound right as when our policy was taken out in February this year it was not a pre existing condition, we only found out about this cancer a week ago.
Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company that won't take the piss with premiums. I need to get this sorted by tomorrow at latest.

Its not the easiest time of year to be dealing with this kind of shit service, but I’d be escalating this.

As I see it, you & Saga have a contract, and they should honour it. Not say, ah well, we’ll have to charge extra. Might even be worth going back to Saga and asking for someone more senior to talk to.

Sorry to hear about Mrs Fatal. Not really a recommendation but I’ve always been happy with Staysure so worth including in your ring round. Best of luck…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like your annual multi-trip policy has what is known as ‘an ongoing duty of disclosure’.

When you took out the annual policy in February 2023, your wife did not know she had cancer, so there was no known pre-existing condition to declare. In the 10 month period since the policy incepted, she has been diagnosed with cancer. In short, it is now (as at today) a known pre-existing condition, known to her before her date of travel next week.

Had she not known she had cancer, gone on holiday next week and fallen ill due to the cancer manifesting itself when she was away, she would have been covered. Likewise, had she been diagnosed say today and, due to treatment or illness, had been unable to travel next week, the holiday cancelled, that would have been covered, too.

Surf around to find an alternative.

Last edited:
Obviously varies between providers, I was diagnosed with a DVT a few weeks ago, generally if there are no problems it is ok to travel after a month if you are being treated with blood thinners etc, our yearly policy expires end of March 24, we contacted our provider(Tesco) and they said it’s fine and we would be covered on trips for the remainder of the policy but would obviously have to declare it on renewal and it would most likely bump up the cost for next year.
Hope all goes well for your wife.

Al.

This lot might be able to help

At least it's confined and not spread so I hope her treatment goes well and she makes a full recovery

I’m with LV and they say no need to inform them until renewal time. I wonder if the person you spoke to is correct.
check your policy documents.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The good lady has her surgery on 6th February, I hope the Doctors strikes doesn't affect it.
Wapping/Richard, thanks for that detailed explanation. I've just had a read through the policy small print, and it is as you say.
I'll try the link posted by Littleade.

Back
Top Bottom