Him and her holiday, Pyrenees.

Giles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A bit of house keeping on this report; firstly, well, the report's for me really! it's a good way of jotting down a few pics and memories and storing them. I often revisit some of my other trips and it jogs good times.
Secondly, I often use the search engine for ideas and places - I've stayed at a number of locations from things I've found here (railway carriages at Rogart), so fill yer boots with my routes and hotels and use it as a source of info. This was a great hubby / wife two up trip :thumb2
Thirdly, this was a bit of an experiment. I normally wing my trips - maybe have a pre-booked destination, but the journey there and back is a lottery, and I'm the first to tell people 'don't plan - go have an adventure where you don't know where you'll end up every night..' On this occasion I've spent weeks planning roads and hotels! Let's see if the pre planned itinerary works!!

DAY 1
364 miles, Kent to Saint-Menoux staying at;
http://www.chateaudeclusors.com/index_anglais.htm

We woke to a pretty dismal Blighty day

1063.jpg

and made our way to an 0820 crossing. The night before we'd had a Chinese and had deliberately ordered a couple of spring rolls for 'breakfast' on the train. It seemed like a good idea at the time :blast

At that hour, all I want is decent coffee. Rosy's a game old girl though, this was a well rehearsed walk in the park for her ;)

1068.jpg

We cut a dash to Paris in the rain and to relieve the boredom plugged in my Ipod / flash player to the intercom. On it I've got hundreds of tracks from motivational gym music to Django Rhinehardt to Classical.

Now i've got to say at this point, that I don't normally listen to music on the bike, but, music is a pretty big part of my life. (music school and all that...). When Rosy and I got together, a lot of our courting was burning each other music compilations, and some of this stuff I hadn't heard for months and months.

We entered the Peripherique to my gym album!!

1071.jpg

It was a hoot! I love the occasional busy urban hoon, and on the damp Paris cobbles we mixed it with the locals to Motorhead Ace of Spades :D

'That's the way I like it baby - I don't wanna live forever..'

1074.jpg

Brilliant!! I was having a ball slinging the fully laden bike through the traffic and mixing it with them local kids !! I was grinning from ear to ear.

611.jpg

Apollo is the God of music :bow And it is uncanny, uncanny I tell you ... how often he pulls those strings and prods the random shuffle on the Ipod.

I told Rosy we had time for a quick photo under the Eiffel tower and as we made our way there from the Champs Elysees, Apollo did his magic.

On the iPod came (pure random) Israel Kamikase's 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' :tears :tears It's very much 'our tune', was played at our wedding and again, i'd not heard it for maybe six months or so. I'm afraid it's my Pavlovs dogs bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9KHo9z86rA&feature=player_detailpage

That was it!!! :rolleyes: I had big fat tears rolling down my cheeks and couldn't see a fecking thing!

616.jpg

Blury eyed and keen not to look a total tit in-front of thousands of tourists we took a quick snap and then buggered off towards La defense, looking for the A10 !

620.jpg

624.jpg

It was a dull afternoon of showers, the music played on and we ate up mile after mile of motorway.
At Nevers we hit the rural roads and continued south. Apollo did his stuff again, and as if he was looking down from on high, he tweaked the shuffle button, blew away the clouds and as the blue sky shone for the first time that day, my ears were filled with Vaughan Williams' Lark ascending.

It was magical :thumb2 (No honestly it was!! truly magical!). How do you paint an atmosphere, a moment in time with words alone? After the chill of our morning start and the wet boredom of the motorway, suddenly it was a beautiful blue sky, there wasn't a soul on the road, we passed field upon field with cows standing under great Oak trees and it was one of those 'your holiday starts here' moments!

633.jpg

635.jpg

Yer couldn't make it up! I swear to God we pulled up at our first night with Debussy playing 'claire de lune' (out of a hundreds of possibilities) and I had the biggest lump in my throat (again :rolleyes:). Thanks Apollo - I owe you big time!

Our hosts were Henri and Christine, who were exceptionally welcoming. They have a truly beautiful house and (heh heh heh - all power to pre-planning here...) as we rode down the drive way Rosy was blown away :clap

636.jpg

652.jpg

641.jpg

We had a gorgeous room, Brunhilde was put to bed in one of the out buildings and after a lazy hot bath we joined two other guests for what the French do better than anyone else in the world.

644.jpg

643.jpg

646.jpg

649.jpg

DAY 2
236 Miles Saint-Menoux to Tarn Gorge (Florac).
Over night at
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_..._Tarn-Florac_Lozere_Languedoc_Roussillon.html

We wake to a gorgeous morning.

641.jpg

I was genuinely very sad to go. I like being on the road, I like the feeling of being a rolling stone, but sometimes the downside of that constant momentum is that you never get under the skin of somewhere. We had had a wonderful evening, but we had to push on. Thanks for your great hospitality Henri and Christine :thumb2.

We headed off on the rural stuff, before hitting the Auto route again.

653.jpg

I had a plan to go to the Puy-de-Dome, but it never really happened.

656.jpg

We got to the main road at the bottom, but unless I got it wrong, it looked like you had to either buy a ticket from the main car park / reception area or go up by some little train thing :nenau. If I could have ridden straight to the top, with no hassle, I would have, but there was a barrier across the road and to be honest, I couldn't be done with the faff.
We stopped at a view point over Clermont Ferrand before pushing on on the A75.

661.jpg

Lunch was a pit stop in Saint-Flour ..

668.jpg

.. another hour or so of A75 and then Ahhhhhh b road bliss.

676.jpg

681.jpg

We sort of headed up and over the north side of the Tarn gorge, dropping down into Florac. It was very Scottish sometimes - It reminded me of last nights conversation where Henri (who had been a farmer all his life) complained that the French had overdone it with the massive planting programmes of pine trees.

Our hotel was pretty reasonable and after a meander into town for a drink, we headed back for dinner.

If yer not accustomed to Loggis Hotels, they get my blessing. They're all different, all family run, all a bit quirky in one way or another, and all have a pretty good restaurant attached to them :thumb2. You can do a lot worse.

703.jpg

706.jpg

708.jpg

DAY 3
206 Miles, Florac to Mirepoix, over night at
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...e_Commerce-Mirepoix_Ariege_Midi_Pyrenees.html

This was going to be a bad day!! (maybe it was because we'd stayed in room 13 :nenau :D).

It was a pretty damp start and the mist hung about with menace.

710.jpg

I went to pay and couldn't find the Visa card :comfort

Bollox!!! We searched high and low, racked our brains to the last time we had used it, and headed back to the garage where we'd filed up at the end of play yesterday afternoon.

712.jpg

The owner couldn't help us - he showed us that he couldn't generate a receipt on the chip and pin thing unless the card was removed after the transaction, so nope ... he didn't have it.

Rosy phoned the bank and cancelled the card, moved funds from one account to another and within ten minutes we were all sorted. And I have to say - a top class service from Lloyds. It was dead easy and they were uber efficient.

711.jpg

All sorted we headed west along the Tarn Gorge towards Millau.

714.jpg

732.jpg

717.jpg

We passed a chappely cemetery thing high up in the gorge wall and popped up for a gander.

Two photos of note here that will be a reoccurring theme here:

755.jpg

766.jpg

Yes folks, gravel and pickin' feckin' flowers :rob

We pushed on along the Tarn, and all was good until we hit some sort of race.

783.jpg

The Gendarme was very polite, and told us that we either waited a couple of hours or we could take a route North to some village that he named (something with a double z in it :nenau) and told us we had the ideal bike for the detour :eek

So off we went, for about twenty miles on stuff like this :rolleyes:

785.jpg

Actually, it was great, very remote and we came across little hamlets and villages that we'd have never otherwise found.

We dropped back down to more route barree signs. Feck me, what was this blinking race??

788.jpg

After watching a few cars come by, I made the assumption that the road was open and they just hadn't got round to collecting the signs yet, so we pushed on passing a very fat runner who was clearly last. (and we shared a little joke at his expense - sorry fat guy.. ).

776.jpg

775.jpg

801.jpg

In Millau we stopped for lunch, where the local nutter honed in on my 'nutter magnet' and chirped away at us for the best part of an hour. (he's the one on the left smart arses ... )

796.jpg

797.jpg

It turned out that the event was a 100km race. 'WHAT???? 100km?? Are you sure you've got that right?' I asked the owner in my schoolboy French?

'Oui Monsieur, le chien et le chat sont tres heureux ensemble ' he replied.

Yep, nearly three marathons without stopping. Jeez - fat guy didn't stand a chance :D

793.jpg

795.jpg

Runner after runner, most accompanied with a friend on a pushbike, came by and from my comfortable wicker chair I clapped and cheered them on (in-between sips of Liptons iced tea and large gob-fulls of Croque Monsieur). The Cops had FJ's (bastards - I have to make do with a wheezy old RT) and it was a good lunch break. Madame charged my camera battery for me behind the bar, we paid the bill and left. (leaving the european adapter behind still in their plug socket :blast).

We pushed on, It was about 1400 hrs, and really, we'd been guilty of the very thing that is often discussed on the travel threads on here. Distance, time and average speed.

We still had a good 130 miles to do and I'd made the classic mistake of choosing a route that was going to be way, way down on average speed. At 60mph it was going to be over two hours and suddenly we were on roads that were way down on pace. (That's good - I like B roads, but i'd cocked up with my timings!).

To make matters worse there was feckin' road repairs and gravel EVERYWHERE!!! :forry And now the heavens were about to open.

818-1.jpg

We stopped to put on waterproofs and Rosy asked if we could find somewhere where she could have a pee. I told her to drop her pants in the corner of the field like everybody else did - she had a bit of a hissy fit :rolleyes:. 'We're bloody miles from anywhere' I told her - 'Stop being such a blinking girl and get on with it'. Rosy barked what a bastard I was, that she'd have to take her boots off (or she'd pee all over her trousers) and sulked off to the embankment for relief.

Under the circumstances (and feeling a bit sorry for her) I did the gentlemanly thing and took a photo :thumb2

824-1.jpg

She wasn't too impressed :D

825.jpg

and like only girls do, suddenly announced 'Oooooooooo Look .... Conkers .... ' and set about collecting dozens of the feckers along with more flowers for her keepsakes :blast

826.jpg

Girls. FFS ....

827.jpg

The heavens opened, we hit gravel after gravel after gravel and the pace was slow.

828.jpg

We briefly stopped so I could change visors - I couldn't see a blinkin' thing -and we pushed on for over a hundred miles in really challenging conditions.

830.jpg

There was no music and I needed to concentrate. Rosy picked up on the vibes and we rode in silence. Tuning into all the sorts of things I bang on about on the Rapid training days, it was a real struggle not to drop yer eyes onto the wet gravelly corners. And they were relentless. Hour after hour went by. The Satnav mocked with it's estimated time of arrival - 1700 .... 1710 .... 1725 .... 1740 .... Aaaarrrgghhhhhhh !! My legs worked hard weighting outside pegs on corners and by the time we got to Mirepoix we were absolutely drenched, cold and knackered.

I apologised to madame for leaving a small swimming pool at reception, she offered us the use of her tumble dryer and we both sank into a steaming hot bath.

I stuffed my boots with paper and madam said she would put our gloves in the kitchen after they'd finished cooking.

832.jpg

Dinner was very well received, with a steaming hot hot fish soup to start with

834.jpg

and oh dear oh dear oh dear ... I hang my head in shame .. in between courses I stuffed my hand into the back pocket in my jeans and pulled out the lost visa card.

833.jpg

Doh!!!!!! :blast

To be continued .......

You have a great knack of getting across the little things that make a hoiday great, nice one :)

Loving the place you spent the first night and the Lovely Amanda has already told me we are staying there when we next pop down to France :thumb

andres

You have a great knack of getting across the little things that make a hoiday great, nice one :)

Loving the place you spent the first night and the Lovely Amanda has already told me we are staying there when we next pop down to France :thumb

andres

Rosy loved it there - They only have two (very nice) rooms and you eat with them at their dinner table. It's beautiful - Amanda would love it ..

The sweet brioche buns at breakfast are just to die for :thumb

come on, quit yapping and get on with the RR...it's excellent:beerjug:

Yeah .... quit yapping and get on with it :thumb

Top report & piccies, looking forward to the follow ups :)

Will add though that it's bloody marvellous how, when listening to music, the tracks always seem to fit the road, the place, the pace, the mood :thumb

Carry on now will ya Giles :blagblah

:beerjug:

nice one Giles im looking forward to the next instalment :beerjug:

but FFs man no more disturbing pictures of you in the bath:mad::eek:D

Nice RR Giles, now get on with an update:D

Day 4

Only 104 miles, to Bourg D'Oueil. Accommodation;
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ourg_d_Oueil_Haute_Garonne_Midi_Pyrenees.html

I'm fairly bike fit, and can sit in the saddle (without a feckin' sheep skin you bunch of loosers) for hours on end. But it's supposed to be a holiday, Rosy doesn't do that much on the bike, so I'd deliberately arranged this day to be quite short. And after yesterday, that was a bit of good fortune too.

The weather was on the turn and the rain had stopped, but the roads were still pretty sodden. I went for breakfast in my suede brothel creepers to find that joy of joys, the old paper in boots trick had worked a treat. The boots were downstairs and were almost completely dry.

836.jpg

841.jpg

Mirepoix is a cracking town, and it's a shame that it was a bit late and wet the day before. If you get the chance it's a good stop over town to wander around in the evening.

We headed south west towards Bagneres De Luchon, and within minutes got that buzz of 'There's the Pyrenees -that's where we're heading'.

842.jpg

But first, a little surprise for Rosy - we're heading to the caves at Mas du Azil.

En route we ride through a village where there's some sort of Hurdy Gurdy festival going on.

849.jpg

851.jpg

Along the streets were organ grinders and music was everywhere. Amazing!
I looked for Wapping on the organ grinders shoulders, but he was no where to be seen.

We headed on to the caves.

867.jpg

868.jpg

I parked up and sat with the bike whilst Rosy coo'd and wandered off to pick flowers :blast

878.jpg

I wandered around the Aire des Grottes looking for Hobo Tim, but couldn't find him either. I'm sure I'll bump into both of them at some point on the trip :thumb

880.jpg

After stuffing my tank bag with yet more bloody foliage we pressed on and decided that we'd now nail it to the hotel.

881.jpg

We hit some great B roads and picked up the pace. It was still a tad damp but at last we're into the world of twist and turn and hairpin bends. With all the weight on the back the GS felt pretty light under the front wheel - especially the uphill right hand hairpins. It was no great shakes but got me thinking. The roads flowed and it was good to finally have a bit of a play.

925.jpg

915.jpg

892.jpg

899.jpg

304.jpg

Unlike the day before, timings were perfect today - we arrived just in time for moto GP to watch Rossi get bumped off into an escape lane ending up at the back of the field (to finnish eighth :clap) and Hayden stuff it into the tyres and end up in the medical centre.

As the sun was setting we had a wonder around the tiny hamlet of Bourg d' Oueil. It's tiny and there is nothing here at all - which of course is great if you want peace and tranquility.

320.jpg

The mist was rising and (in a good way..) there was an eerie feel in the air. The rooks or crows or whatever they were flew about like Harry Potters Tormentors and after stretching our legs it was good to get back indoors and hunker down. The owner Olivier made us some lunch and afterwards, well there's only one thing to do .... have an afternoon nap!

318.jpg

The hotel is ideally suited for walking and (off the tourist trail) skiing. But - it's a very quiet hamlet. After another excellent Logis meal I'm stuffed and we agree to have an early start in the morning.

322.jpg

324.jpg

325.jpg

DAY 5
200 Miles. Accommodation; http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...Rey_Catolico_Province_of_Zaragoza_Aragon.html

It's a misty start, and we're on the road before nine.

328.jpg

I pop into Luchon to look for a travel plug, but to no avail.

329.jpg

We climb and climb into amazing scenery, and there's a real sense of 'this is going to be a good day' between us. We have deer run out in-front of us, and after a few hours we stop gasping and pointing at the eagles as they become so common place.

331.jpg

335.jpg

336.jpg

The theme of cold starts continues, Rosy uses my exo heated jacket and there's something really appealing about starting the day cold, knowing it's just going to get hotter and hotter. There are glimpses through the misty low lying cloud of a brilliant blue sky just waiting to burst out.
We cross the border into Spain and head south along the N230 filling up at the junction with the N260.
At the Repsol petrol garage, we take turns in sitting by the bike and using the facilities. I'm loaded with passports, money, my bike (!!) and with the passing trade on fuel forecourts everyone to me is suspicious !

We hit the N260.

337.jpg

Now kids, you've read before about the 260 - it's a well trodden route, but if you haven't done it, well ... put it on yer list. It's a great flowing road.
It's one of those routes that really gets your motorcycling mojo all fired up, and cleverly, it's one of those roads that you can either hoon along, or meander. It doesn't have a billiard board surface, but it's pretty spectacular all the same. Go do it! :thumb

347.jpg

342.jpg

344.jpg

343.jpg

346.jpg

348.jpg

We stop for coffee. It's still quite cool out of the sun, and like little meerkats we bask in the heat on the terrace, warming our faces. It's quiet, there's no traffic, the sky is this brilliant azure blue, and it's total escapism. God I could stay here forever!

349.jpg

At a town called Balo, we come off the (now) 240, and hit the B roads again.
For all my love of motorcycling, track days, litre sports bikes, what I've discovered in the last few years (it's called growing up :p) is a true love affair with back roads.
Show me A to B on a map and I'll look for the smallest roads there :thumb2. And we hit biking nirvana !! :roll

356.jpg

It's stunning, and spotting a dirt road off to the left, I nip up half a mile or so and we stop and just sit in the sun. It's peace, it's beautiful, there's no people, Ahhhhhhhhh .... heaven, just heaven on earth.

364.jpg

359.jpg

361.jpg

We sit on a slab of rock together, and between us we have a muffin and an apple. It was perfect. Frank sings of 'Love's the same old sad sensation' in his song Bewitched (bothered and bewildered) (or bewitched buggered and bewildered as Rosy prefers to sing it ..), and here was I, in the most perfect utopia, feeling desperately sad :(. It's a funny old world.

Having got into the swing of flashing her bits to all and sundrie, Rosy takes off her boots :rolleyes: and we head back down to tarmac.

363.jpg

Is that your arse on the right there Rosy ?? :D

365.jpg

We hit more road works. It's no great drama, but they go on and on, and on.
Where are all the road workers? It's no bloody wonder Spain is about to go bust! I ride the unmade roads and rebuke myself. You can't have it both ways - you want a culture of family values? of meal times that mean something? You enjoy that peace and quiet and the escape from life in South east England? Then don't knock the French and the Spanish for fecking off at lunchtime and taking pleasure over a half bottle of wine and some cheese.

388.jpg

387.jpg

383.jpg

381.jpg

Eventually we pass a gaggle of blokes, we all say hello to one another, (at least I think so - it might have been about a cat and a dog getting on well together, i'm not too sure..:nenau) and we push on to Sos del Rey Catolico passing through the most wonderful scenery.
It sort of reminded me of the Gladiator scene, when he rides through Tuscany back to his home. The wheat fields had been harvested, but there was still that magnificent patch work quilt of country side. A single tractor gathering hay half a mile away in a land time forgot. It was beautiful man :cool

390.jpg

369.jpg

Sos del Rey is another very quiet spot. High on a hill it has wonderful views, but don't go there for the night life! It's very calm and tranquil. Our room overlooked the plains below, and the Parodor was a great surprise for Rosy who didn't really know where she was going from one day to the next. (and that's life in general - not just the holiday ... :thumb2)

395-1.jpg

397.jpg

We had a Gin on the terrace and spent forty minutes or so chatting with an Australian couple from Perth. He'd been an engineer in the forces for many years and now they were spending a month travelling around Spain.
For all my love of escapism, it's still great to meet people, find out about them and hear their stories. Travel is good. :thumb2

401.jpg

403.jpg

After Gin O'clock, we went for a wonder around the sleepy village. We found one bar that was open, but whose kitchen was shut. We twisted the owners arm to give us something to eat, and feeling sorry for us he knocked us up a quick snack.

399.jpg

That night we popped back to the same bar for Paella. It wasn't that good to be honest - Brake brothers rubbish probably, but at ten euros it made a good belly filler. There were plenty of sumptuous meals in the pipe line.

404.jpg

406.jpg

We hit the (feckin' enormous) bed drunk on blue sky's, eagles and hazy vistas.

A good biking day :thumb.

Great report, roll on 2013, I am missing euro-biking and lining up a nice two week fix for next year.

+1 :thumb2 for the N260, and Logis Hotels

DAY 6
Sos del Rey Catolico to Gedre. 150 miles, accommodation at http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...land-Gedre_Hautes_Pyrenees_Midi_Pyrenees.html

We wake to an amazing sunrise.

408.jpg

Whilst it's only 150 odd miles today, I'm mindful of the old distance / average speed thing so we elect to skip beakfast, hit the road and stop in an hour or so. My heart skips a beat unlocking the bike - I couldn't get the blinking disc lock off for ten minutes, a bit of moisture in the pin that should spring back I guess. I had visions of five road workers with angle grinders standing round the bike sucking their teeth for a moment or two ..

410.jpg

It's not just another cold start, it's bloody freezing! the lay of the land means we ride in a lot of shadow for the first hour, the temperature on the dash struggles to get much above 5 degrees and I get the Brrrrrrrr uncontrolled shoulder shrugs from time to time. The sunny patches are a welcome respite and the temperature instantly rises when we're in sun shine.

409.jpg

416.jpg

We head due North with the rising sun on our right, and slowly start to climb. The plan today is to run West - East in the mountains. After an hour or so we start to look for good stop for a coffee, and dive into a little village high up on the Spanish border. In the village square we do the meerkat thing again, breakfast is just a couple of tiny muffins!

422.jpg

423.jpg

I sit there contimplating that blokes thread about coffee, adventure travel :)rolleyes:) and keeping awake. The coffee here is like black tar, but I know I'm soon going to be gagging for a pee every 40 minutes. Still, at least I don't have to take my boots off to do it :augie

Making a tit of myself trying to ask for something to eat in Spanish, a young Spanish girl in the bar comes over and helps me in her faux american accent. We have a chat - she did her last year at university in Leeds and she seems delighted to be able to put her American - English to good use. I tell her all about Rosy's son whose also just finished at Leeds and after all the pleasantries of thanks and goodbyes, I'm left all wistful and reflective on meeting folk and having a snap shot of their lives before blink .... and they've gone.

We take the Na1370 and approach the French border.

424.jpg

What continues to seduce me, is that we climb and climb and then suddenly we burst out into a sort of valley floor with the most wonderful lush green fields and farm stock. It's idyllic - a small farm, sheep and cattle roaming, a little vegetable plot in the front garden and a dead flat area for a couple of square miles surrounded on all sides by huge mountains. What an amazing place to live! We pass through exactly that and having climbed out of it, stop and look back down to somebodies glorious life style.

438.jpg

439.jpg

I'm quite confident I'm looking at life through rose tinted holiday specs - life here is probably bloody hard and bloody cold at times, but there seems a quality here that for all its challenges, make it really rewarding.

The eagles fly above us from our view point, and not for the first time we just stand in the sun and don't want to move on!

380.jpg

Places to go .. people to meet .. we press on

442.jpg

We soon turn off the D132, and go with our plan of heading East within the mountains. The major roads run north / south so understandably, we hit the smaller B stuff again. Hoo hoo .... more biking Nirvana!

455.jpg

It's glorius, it's about half eleven in the morning, it's now warm and the scenery is to die for.

452.jpg

Rosy begs me to stop so she can collect feckin' flowers for her travel journal.

454.jpg

We're back in utopia, there's not a soul on the roads - no one, turn the engine off and all I can hear is my early onset of tinnitus! Apart from the dog whistle in my ears, it's birds, birds and errrr, more birds.

464.jpg

We round a corner to ... uh oh .... this ...

453.jpg

If i see one more feckin' loose gravel sign I swear I'll turn into Basil Faulty and thrash the fecker with tree branches!!

I jest. Life is cool, we have all day, we're on time and the surroundings are so still and peaceful that this road should only ever be bimbled.

Sometimes we turn the motor off and free wheel, it's a glorious late morning of nature at its best.

479.jpg

The miles tick by at a gentle pace, and in over an hour, we don't see one other vehicle.

The gravel continues ..

461.jpg

.. but it's no great shakes. At most I have to take a little more care on the odd hairpin corner.

471.jpg

478.jpg

477.jpg

It was definitely one of those mornings where years later, Rosy and I will chat

'Do you remember that beautiful morning, when we took that amazing gravelly road and didn't see another soul for hours on end ...?'

We push on, and within the hour I'm getting hungry, the bike needs fuel and I need to buy an SD card for the camera. My autism kicks in, and I can't stop looking at the fuel gauge and the 'so many miles left' reading.
They're so bloody unreliable - I'm ashamed to say I ran out of gas not long after getting the bike even though it told me I had 50 miles to go. The on board computer was telling me 70 odd miles, but that and hunger meant coming off route in search for a town.

We get to a wonderful little market town called Larruns, eat, fill up and find an SD card :thumb2 My blokey autism subsides, the bike is running well, I have food in my belly, and if needed, I'd be up for another three or four hours in the saddle.

502-1.jpg

505.jpg

506.jpg

Looking rather camp in my Dammart thermal vest, I spend a wonderful forty minutes or so enjoying the bustle of the market town. I found a sort of newsagent / souvenir shop that was just opening after lunch, and clearly made madam jump out of her skin when I appeared at her front counter. She hadn't put her swivelling postcard turnstile thingies out onto the pavement yet - they were still all lined up inside the shop, in front of her counter. Having entered the shop (that had no bell) I peered through the column like post card holders like Jack Nicholson in The Shining announcing 'Bonjour Madam - ca va??' Madam gave out a small scream and visibly lifted a foot in the air. :eek

I made my amends by insisting on taking her photo to test the new card :D

001.jpg

After lunch we pushed on, on the 'cheese route' :nenau. We stopped and chatted with a couple of Brit bikers who were touring with paper maps and were completely lost. They were looking for Tourmalet which was bloody miles away. I thought fondly of Wapping and his love affair with Michelin, pointed them in the right direction only to see them sail blindly past their turn ... :blast

We took the Col D'aubisque where Rosy found a new friend and carried on Easterly towards Gedre.

529.jpg

527.jpg

There was a great looking dirt trail way down in the valley - Oh to have a play on a 450 and then .... well ... talk of the Devil himself, I finally bumped into Wapping himself :thumb2

533.jpg

547.jpg

Ahhhhhh and look - he's brought Hobo Tim along too :thumb2

548.jpg

The hills have eyes - at every turn something pretty wild was watching us, it was a tad more touristy than the earlier peace of B road bliss, but the scenery was stunning.

550.jpg

523.jpg

As is so often the case, when there's only half an hour or so to go, you get the bit between yer teeth, and we picked the pace up and had a good old thrash to the hotel.

567.jpg

557.jpg

553.jpg

571.jpg

The hotel was charming and the perfect stop for a couple of days - not too busy but enough going on in the village for a leg stretch and a meal out.
In the heat of a blazing power shower I washed my hair with several pairs of used pants and socks and then set about the radiator with my tactical washing line - I am an intrepid adventurer :thumb2

575.jpg

New fangled 1200s

Bloody brilliant trip. photos and write-up, thanks.

What is the yellow triangle on the clocks for? It's always on - is it a warning lamp for alerting the rider to flower-picking stops? :D

A

Back
Top Bottom